Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Panoramic Hop-On Hop-Off Tour of Munich by Double-Decker Bus
"Explore the highlights of Munich at your own pace. See Nymphenburg Palace Olympic Park the English Garden the historic Old Town Odeonsplatz Marienplatz and more as you travel aboard a comfortable double-decker bus. Enjoy the full one hour loop or start hopping on and off immediately. Take advantage of the 24 or 48 hour pass along with other upgrades.This tour offers commentary on the bus in ""
From EUR15.00

Munich 2-Hour Segway Tour: Historic Center and English Garden
"Your tour begins with a short introduction to driving a Segway. Try out the Segway scooter on the paths in the English Garden. In this historic center of the Bavarian capital you will discover nature as well as culture: ride through one of the largest parks in the world and alongside the Isar river to the top highlights of Munich.See further sights like Munich's old town Odeonsplatz Hofgarten Victory Gate Leopoldstraße the Maximilianeum and Peace Angel. Your guide will tell you all about the exciting history and the sights of Munich as well as the history of the city itself. The tour ends back at the starting point."
From EUR64.00

Munich City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
"Munich Grand Hop on Hop off TourEnjoy Munich in our open air double-decker buses. Discover the highlights of our city with our comprehensive Hop on Hop off tour. Our route invites you to discover sights such as the Pinakotheken art museums the world famous Hofbrauhaus the National Theater with the Royal Palace Marienplatz and the Viktualien market with its colorful outdoor stalls.Our tour continues to the Palace of Nymphenburg the former summer residence of the Bavarian elector princes and kings with its beautiful and spacious gardens. To get an impression of modern Munich you will visit the Olympic grounds where you will find other attractions like Sea Life the BMW museum and the new BMW Car World. You will have a fantastic panoramic view from the top of the 290 meter high Olympic Tower. Later we will pass through the former artist quarter of Schwabing where you may stroll along Leopold street. The frequent
From EUR17.00

Glockenspiel at the New Town Hall Tips (8)

Glockenspiel " Eye View" St. Peter's Tower

Glockenspiel has it's own tower that now takes you by elevator to the top. Wonderful view but nothing compared with the view from St. Peter's tower of the Glockenspiel Clock in action.

Unique Suggestions A magnificent view with a walk of the vertical rather than horizontal kind, up the 306 or so steps of St Peter’s Church tower just by Marienplatz. Well worth the view of the city and of the Glockenspiel. Watched the 11 am show from the ground first. Was not too impressed found it boring and crowded.
Only by luck I had climbed to the St. Peter's Tower and was there when the 12:PM show began. Only two other people on the tower with me. It was a perfect moment to watch a piece of history told by this beautiful device.
Completely different perspective than the ground tourist attraction I had felt about it an hour before.
The Glockenspiel re-enacts two events of Munich’s history: a tournament held in 1568 to celebrate a royal marriage and Schäfflertanz (Cooper’s Dance), which dates back to the 17th century then celebrating the passing of the plague.

The 43 bells of the clock, weighing about 7,000 kilos) play a lullabythe duration of the performance.
I was there on 11/17/10 and was told there was only an 11AM show. I was luckily surprised to see the 12pm show.

The 43 bells view of the glockenspiel and the city ....Wow!! Worth the 1.50 Eurp anytime.
The climb took me 8 minutes. The average is 5 minutes the man selling the tickets said.
No one else in my family was brave enough to try. i am in my 40s, female and not in shape but to watch my husband and daughter of 23 back out made me the more determined. We only live once. i may not ever get back there....climb it...the elevator in the new town square is fun too but nothing to compare with the view of the Glockenspiel in Action!!

The stairs are stair but there are little areas to rest on the way if you need to. However there isn't and elevator down. But down is a piece of cake :)

Fun Alternatives There is plenty of shopping and things to do around Marie Platz if you don't want to climb St. Peter's Tower at least take the elevator up in the New Town hall (the building with the clock). The view and lay out of the city are beautiful surprises. Just a walk away or next underground stop is The Residenz. Wonderful Castle, opera house, museum. We took the shot tour and it was only a portion of the 230 rooms there are to see in the home alone. That was about a two hour walk. You could spend days in this site alone. There enough to do in any part of Maria Platz for a day, half a day or even a week. The toy museum is right there by the clock too.

SafariArtist
Nov 20, 2010

Not worth it

Everyone who visits Munich will want to see this. Once you do, you will be highly disappointed. I was expecting more than puppets going in circles. I was expecting a lot more. Leave before it is over and you'll beat the crowd to any of the good pubs or restaurants around the city center.

Unique Suggestions If you insist on seeing it, I suggest waiting until the very last second. You'll cry if you wait long for this.

And I would suggest having kids who will enjoy it. Perhaps they might like it, I couldn't tell you from my experience.

Fun Alternatives Get off the beaten path and try the side shops. Good shopping, especially for futbol gear.

jtbro86's Profile Photo
jtbro86
Mar 14, 2007

umm... that's it?

Almost all the tourists who go to Munich want to see the famous Glockenspiel. My sister and I had heard about it, and on the tour we did, they said it was overrated, but we decided to go see it anyways, just to see for ourselves. Well, there was QUITE the crowd gathered around Marienplatz for the show, all with cameras poised and ready. We stayed for about 5 minutes of the bore, and then we had to leave. It's not at all interesting. However, if you feel the need to see for yourself, that's cool. We did. People tell you about tourist traps all the time, but sometimes, you don't know until you go. Who knows, maybe you, too, will get excited when one knight falls.

Unique Suggestions Get in front of the crowd of people watching the Glockenspiel, turn around, and watch them watch it. This would prove to be much more amusing.

tyerks's Profile Photo
tyerks
Oct 10, 2003

Glockenspiel. Everyone watches...

Glockenspiel. Everyone watches this at least once. Just do it and move on. Unless you have a telephoto lens on your camera, I think that this is difficult to truly enjoy. It is so high up. I do want do add that people truly love this. I think it is worth seeing once -- it is possible that I've just seen it one too many times. Oh well. Definitely see to see what all the fuss is about. Also, visit Ludwig's tomb. You gotta -- he is the man in Bavaria.

eitakorlando's Profile Photo

Furstenstrasse 12, 80333
Fuerstenstrasse 12, Munich, Bavaria, 80333, Germany
Turkenstrasse 35, Munich, Bavaria, 80799, Germany
Amalienstrasse 20, Munich, Bavaria, 80333, Germany

The town's best-known and...

The town's best-known and most-visited 'tourist trap' is, of course, the Glockenspiel on the facade of the Rathaus. Visitors flock here to witness the musical displays (the most popular of which seems to be at 11 in the morning). Apparently, pickpockets have been known to snatch the wallets of tourists that are concentrated on the show. Since the glockenspiel is on the central square (Marienplatz), it is very hard to miss so you will probably see it many times during your visit in Munich.

roadnottaken's Profile Photo
roadnottaken
Aug 26, 2002

Actually this is not a tourist...

Actually this is not a tourist trap, but many visitors to this city, go to see the Carillon on the tower of the New Townhall. Every hour on the hour, its dancing figurines delight the onlookers, with its synchronize movements.

Luis_Alberto's Profile Photo
Luis_Alberto
Aug 24, 2002

what a bore

this clock tower does not live up to its fame. its famous dancing figures are 11 minutes of my life i would love to have back.

marzy's Profile Photo
marzy
Jul 21, 2003

I´ve been wondering all my...

I´ve been wondering all my life what could be the attraction of the chimes up in the town hall - find out yourself!

zitronella
globetrott's Profile Photo

globetrott

"Munich - Oktoberfest & a lot more !"

sabsi

"Brezn, Bier and Beautiful Days in Munich"
Henkster's Profile Photo

Henkster

"Munich is nature, art, events and culture"
antistar's Profile Photo

antistar

"The Big Village"
acemj's Profile Photo

acemj

"Munich"

Things to Do Near Munich

Odeonsplatz

So much see here at the Odeonsplatz.The Residenz ,Feldherrenhalle,Theatinerkirche etc......The Ludwigstrasse starts at the Odeonsplatz and ends at the Siegestor.This grand boulevard has Italian style...

Alte Pinakothek

Inaugurated in 1836, the Alte Pinakothek is one of the oldest art museums in the world. It was commissioned by King Ludwig I of Bavaria who employed the architect Leo von Klenze to design a building...

Staatliches Museum Aegyptischer Kunst - State Museum of Egyptian Art

Strolling down the road I came to the Residenz, the old palace of royalty in the city and fairly hard to miss if you're in the area. Curiousity led me to explore some of the architecture and thus it...

Bayerisches Nationalmuseum

Ok, now that I write this, in August 2016, we all northern hemispherers still celebrate summer (or how summer behaves this year), it is too early to think about Christmas. But Christmas comes soon, so...

Residence - Residenz

The Munich Residence is a complex of buildings and courtyards that was the home of the Wittelsbach dynasty of dukes, electors and finally kings of Bavaria from 1385 to 1918, when the last Wittelsbach...

Pinakothek der Moderne

It opened in 2002 as one of the world’s largest museums of modern art and as the complement of the other 2 pinakotheks, the neue (new)and the alte(old). It is divided in 3 floors and houses paintings...

Getting to Munich

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Tourist Traps. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Tourist Traps. Help us improve our info!

Map