Map &

Berlin City Pass with Optional Panoramapunkt Entry
From EUR80.00
Berlin Pass Including Entry to More Than 50 Attractions
From EUR92.00

Museum Island - Pergamon Museum Tips (79)

One Of The World's Finest Museums

Under renovation for the next 4 years ...

My only complain is the way they have set up the entrance at the rear of the museum .... a timed and controlled system is in place with no signs or explanation of the way it works ..

We arrived at 9:30 a.m and it opens at 10:00 a.m and we still waited for almost an hour !

Entrance fee is 12 Euro's.

Once inside the beautiful artifacts take your breath away ... simply spectacular !!!!!

Hundreds of books have been written about this museum so trying to explain it here is impossible .....

Give yourself about an hour to 90 min just to enter ... once inside ... 2/3 hours is enough time to see everything in a non rushed way ... if there is only one museum that you come to in Berlin ... make it this one ...

Buying tickets online does not speed up the process ... you still have to make the huge line to enter ....

jlanza29's Profile Photo
Oct 21, 2016

BABYLON in Berlin.

Another astonishing part of the Pergamon museum is that of the monumental reconstruction of archaeological building ensembles of Babylon (modern Iraq).

After passing under the Roman Gate of Miletus the visitor is projected in time and space in the Ancient Near East part of the Museum.
On each of my visits to the museum I was full of admiration seeing the huge (15 m high) mainly blue and orange colored walls of the Ishtar Gate with depictions in colored glazed bricks of lions, bulls, dragons and palm trees from the 6th c. BC under king Nebuchadnezzar II. The Goddess Ishtar Gate opens on the Processional Way of Babylon with about 120 lions lined up on both sides along the walls 180 m long!

Babylon was discovered and excavated starting in 1899 by the German architect and archeologist Robert Koldewey. The reconstruction by meticulously re-assembling the many broken pieces of excavated glazed bricks to approximately the original dimensions at the Pergamon Museum was finished in the 1930s. Some other museums in the world have also obtained a few of these lions (Le Louvre, MET a.o.); it's a fact that they show so much majesty. They were the sacred animal of the Goddess Ishtar.

This is very spectacular but only a part of the 14 rooms over 2000 m2 devoted to this collection of Ancient Near East objects originating from the Sumerian, Babylonian, Assyrian civilizations.

Feb 01, 2015

Gate of Miletus - Markttor von Milet.

On the right of the Pergamon altar enter another large room to discover the monumental Market Gate of Miletus (Turkey) from the 2nd century AD during the reign of Emperor Hadrian.
It's now the third time I see it and I am still surprised by this two-story marble structure 30 meters wide, 16 meters tall, and 5 meters deep with three doorways and a number of projections and niches.

Years ago I saw a similar monument in Turkey i.e. the Library of Celsus in Ephesus but could not imagine that the German archaeologist Theodor Wiegand would excavate in 1903 the gate of Miletus destroyed in an earthquake in the 10th or 11th century and would bring the 750 tons of fragments to be reassembled in this museum starting in 1925. Of course the monument consists significantly of non-original material but it makes the Roman Miletus visible and speaks to the visitor much more than if it was still subsided into the ground in Turkey.
The monument and the museum suffered from WW II so that restoration was needed and fulfilled in 2008.

I added here a photo from Wikipedia because it was difficult to get a panoramic view with my little camera.

Feb 01, 2015

Book ahead!! (Pergamon museum)

It was at August, maybe quite popular holliday-time at that part of Europe, and when we wnet there, there was a huge line of people! I´d never seen such, not even at Versailles near Paris, and it was huge also.
When we walked to the end of line a noticed sign saying:Wiating time from this point 4 hours! And we weren´t even close to that sign! So once again..we opened the internet and checked. It was possible to book ahead, and even for next day. You can choose the time to get in. So we left the line.
When we went back next time and walked pass the line of people waiting there, many of them on line looked us angry. I guess they didn´t know you can book online. So do that! We just walked straight in. Don´t know how much people usually use time in there, but we were done less than an hour. Even if we did like the place, but it was smaller than we thought. Just the objects seen there were huge and great!
It is totally worth visiting, but it would be redicilous to stand out 4 hours, when you could book online and just walk in.
Someone said you must print the tickets, but we didn´t have the printer (we didn´t stay at hotel) and we did get in by showing the ticket from smart phone. No problem at all!

Turska's Profile Photo

Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse 3, Berlin, 10178, Germany
Ziegelstrasse 28, Berlin, 10117, Germany
Rosenstrasse 1, Berlin, 10178, Germany
An der Spandauer Brucke 1, Mitte district, Berlin, 10189, Germany

Ancient times? No boredom!

I was always thinking that gaping at the old, dusty vases or ruins is a complete waste of time. Who cares that it is an Umayyad art, stelea from Assur... even the perspective of seeing Ishtar Gate didn't seem to be that encouraging. I paid 9 Euro for the ticket which allowed me to visit all the museums around on the Musueum Island. Anyway, I was forced to enter this museum (Pergamon Museum) by my girlfriend, but honestly... I was really curious to see all the things inside. There are 2 big floors and a small semi basement in this building. We took our jackets off, hooked the polish language guides and toddled towards the first hall. To my suprise, then my thoughts about ancient times has changed. We entered the spacious hall on the main floor and started staring at the huge, light blue Ishtar Gate ornamented with so many elements. That was really impressive! We could read all these tables with the explanations on, however it was a great facilitation for us to use polish language device. Behind beautiful gate we could see another amazing monument, which was the part of Miletus gate from the Romaniam antiquity. Though, we wanted to see the most important part - The Great Altar of Pergamon, which turned to be worthy seeing. Excluding these 3 major atiques, there were also the other to see. On the upper floor we could sightsee the Aleppo Room and Alhambra Dome (Museum of Islamic Art). You may ask about this semi basement, well... there were 5000 years Megacity's elements located. In my opinion everyone should step into Pergamon Museum and see for yourself, that's the best way to convince. :)

JakubB2's Profile Photo
Dec 15, 2013

Pergamon Altar.

For the third time in my life I entered the main room with the Pergamon Altar and felt as astonished as on my first visit twenty years ago!

I'm still filled with admiration for the German engineer and archeologist Carl Humann who in 1878 began official excavations on the acropolis of Pergamon and discovered this monumental construction built during the reign of King Eumenes II in the first half of the 2nd century BC on one of the terraces of the acropolis of the ancient city of Pergamon in Asia Minor.
I'm even more admiring the Italian restorers who reassembled the panels comprising the frieze from the thousands of fragments that had been recovered. This frieze depicting the battle between the gods and Titans is regarded a masterpiece of Hellenistic art.
In order to display the result a new museum was erected in 1901 on Berlin's Museum Island and replaced in 1930 with a larger museum still open.

When entering the museum the visitor faces a structure 35 m. wide and 33 m. deep; the front stairway alone is almost 20 meters wide and is crowded with rather noisy visitors (1 million/year) so that one feels as if being on the acropolis of Pergamon two millenary ago.

I have seen other acropolis and agoras of such dimensions but this is the only one inside a museum building!

Oct 11, 2013

Pergamon museum

Pergamon museum was the one I really wanted to visit in my life, that is great I had time to do it in Berlin. It gives you opportunity to see such big historical items as Ashtar gate, Pergamon altar, Gate of Miletus and so on. Also it has a part with colorful Oriental art.

Pergamon building itself was constructed in 1910 - 1930 in neo - classical style. It is located in famous Museum island.

Actually I loved museum, but I should tell, I was thinking it is gonna be bigger. The museum fee for summer 2012 was around 10 euros. It is better to come earlier, as crows of people gathering.

Raimix's Profile Photo
Sep 30, 2013

Great Museum

The Pergamon Museum is one of Berlin's main museums, which is located on Museum Island.
It gets its name from the sprawling Pergamon Altar which hails from the ancient city of Pergamon in modern day Turkey. Other major exhibits include a monumental gate from the Greco/Roman city of Miletus, also in modern Turkey, the Ishtar Gate from Babylon and a splendid Islamic Art Museum.
As its one of the most popular museums, it can be crowded. Tickets can be purchased in advanced with a scheduled time of entry.

In addition to the permanent exhibits, there are special temporary ones as well. The big one going on now and at the time was on Uruk, the worlds first major city, dating back to 5000 BCE.

roamer61's Profile Photo
Jun 05, 2013
alancollins's Profile Photo

alancollins's Profile Photo

matcrazy1's Profile Photo

"More than the capital of Germany"
Kakapo2's Profile Photo

"Berlin, Berlin - wir fahren nach Berlin!"
croisbeauty's Profile Photo

"Berlin in my way"
View Member

Wandering where many went before

I have to say that the Pergamon Museum is one of the best museums I have ever visited- the visitor experience is amazing. It cost 10 Euros to visit the museum itself and it was the best 10 Euros I spent in Berlin. I queued for about 15 minutes to get in as this museum is extremely popular. To avoid queuing, you should consider booking your tickets online.
On arriving at the museum, you should leave your bags in the lockers provided. Then you are given a set of headphones and a small keypad (for use in the language of your choice) which you can use to guide you around the exhibits and gain a greater insight into what you are seeing.
The main hall is a stunning space occupied primarily by the Pergamon Altar and its accompanying friezes of Greek gods such as Athena and Zeus.
The next room includes a beautifully restored frontage of the Market Gate of Miletus and as you walk through the arch, you turn around to see my favourite oversized exhibit in the museum, the Ishtar Gate of ancient Babylon. Seeing the gate in situ at the museum, you can imagine what it must have looked like in 500 BC accompanied by the golden lions that feature on the Processional Way that led to the gate in Babylon. All I can say is it must have been a formidable sight!
The museum is also home to Islamic antiquities such as a collection of colourful carpets and 'mihrabs', niches from a mosque. I also enjoyed seeing the Mshatta Palace facade from the palace of Qasr Mshatta, that dates back to the 8th century AD. It is fascinating to get close up and see the various animal motifs that are not so evident from a distance.
The museum is open daily 10am-6pm except Thursday when it stays open late till 8pm.
I highly recommend a visit to this museum the next time you are in Berlin!

slothtraveller's Profile Photo
Oct 28, 2012

Pergamonmuseum - Purpose-built for an Altar

Hordes of tourists flock into this museum, and you will understand why when you stand in front of the most impressive and huge Pergamon altar, found in Turkey by the engineer Carl Humann in the 19th century. It took him 20 years to put all the pieces together again. It is a bit like standing in front of one of the temples of the Acropolis in Athens, with the difference that there is a building around the temple, and it is perfectly intact.

The Pergamonmuseum was purpose-built from 1910 to 1930 by Alfred Messels and Ludwig Hoffmann to host this altar.

Already the word “altar” is a little misleading as it is huge. And to imagine what huge means read this: The frieze, adorned by an incredible lot of sculptures, is 113 metres long! The sculptures show the fight of the gods with the giant. The altar from the acropolis of the antique city of Pergamon in Asia Minor.

Other artefacts from Pergamon also hosted in the museum include parts of the Athena Temple.

Further you find Greek sculptures, a Roman gate (the famous Market Gate of Milet from 130 AC, mosaics and a large sarcophagus.

Also the collections of Islamic Art, and art and jewellery from the Middle East and Central Asia are unique in the world. A piece of outstanding beauty is the 30 metre long brick processional way of ancient Babylon with the so-called Lion Paintings.

Everything you can see in this museum is the result of large-scale German expeditions and archaelogical excavations starting at the end of the 19th century.

Open daily 10am – 6pm, Thursday 10am – 9pm (only until 8pm from 1 Nov 2012)
Admission 10 Euro (as Oct. 2012)

Kakapo2's Profile Photo
Oct 21, 2012

Pergamon museum

How is it possible to transport one town to another place? Well, I don't know, but the German engineers managed to do it. The majestic Pergamon altar was rebuilt from 1902. The museum was founded in 1902s. It exhibits also artefacts from Ancient Greece, Rome, Babylon.
The entrance fee is: 10 euro only for Pergamon museum, 14 euro for Pergamon and the permanent exhibitions.
Advice: try to buy a ticket in advance; the museum is the most visited from all museums in Berlin and there are always long lines in fornt of the entrance.

Nikolay_Ivanov's Profile Photo
Jul 19, 2012

Pergamon Museum

Pergamon Museum is part of Museum Island and was constructed from 1910 to 1930, by Alfred Messel and Ludwig Hoffmann. The museum is subdivided to the Middle East collection and Museum of Islamic Art. Pergamon houses original-sized reconstructed buildings such as the Permaon Altar and Market Gate of Miletus, all consisting of original parts transported from Turkey. There excist a controversy over the legitimacy of the collection and was suggested that should be returned to country of the excavations.
After WW II a good part of the collection has been transfered to Russia, partly returned to East Germany in 1858 but still, a significant part of the collection remain in Russia even today.

croisbeauty's Profile Photo
Feb 13, 2012

Things To Do Near Museum Island - Pergamon Museum

Museum Island Museumsinsel

I hope I will live long enough to see the end of the renovation works at what is going to be one of the cultural highlights of our old continent. On my first visit in the early 1990s I saw the...

Museum Island - Neues Museum

When I wanted to visit the Egyptian museum I did not know it had moved untill I stood on it it's former doorstep. That shows my level of preparation for this trip. To be honest I visited Berlin (jun...

Museum Island - Bode Museum

This first visit to the sculpture collection of the Bode Museum was well above my expectations. Years ago I discovered the medieval sculptures at the Cluny Museum in Paris and since than I'm...

Museum Island - Alte Nationalgalerie

Actually there are three museums "Galeries" displaying paintings (and sculptures) in Berlin. This one called "Alte" is the oldest for the building built around 1870 on the Museumsinsel but not for the...

Berliner Dom - Berlin Cathedral

The next building that I liked after visiting the Neue Wache was Berlin Cathedral. This is located on Museum Island. It was completed in 1905. There is a garden outside it which is known as the...

Neue Wache - New Guardhouse

The Neue Wache is located on Unter den Linden. I had researched Unter den Linden prior to our visit and was quite excited about walking along it. This excitement proved to be misplaced as at the...

Getting to Museum Island - Pergamon Museum