Map &

Private Tour: Berlin City Highlights
From EUR68.00

Food and Drink Tips (8)

no Brunch at Kaufhaus des Westens

With a friend I went to the Kaufhaus des Westens for a nice brunch.

There I got very disappointed. While the Kaufhaus offers breakfast/brunch,
it is how they offer it what traps the people.

The selection and variety of breakfast items presented is not what I would expect from such a famous Kaufhaus.

The company should also do something to improve the layout and interior of their breakfast restaurant.

Breakfast at KaDewe - never ever again.

Unique Suggestions Eat somewhere else.

Fun Alternatives Take just a coffee and sit somewhere near the windows.

matjung's Profile Photo
Apr 03, 2010

Berliner Weisse

Well...I had to try this Berlin speciality in the name of travelling even if everyone warned me I would stick out as a tourist. Now I know that this, whilst perfectly drinkable, is nothing more than quite an average raspberry pop (unless you go for the green version rather than red). To drink weak beer out of a's not me.

Fun Alternatives Try the Berliner pils or great wheat beers instead.

Sjalen's Profile Photo
Nov 07, 2005

buying water

As in much of Europe, prices for drinks are ridiculously high, so that you may spend a small fortune on a hot day and nearly faint from dehydration drinking one or two cans of soda. Try to be be prepared and arm yourself with drinks ahead of time. Drinks are always always miniscule and always extremely expensive the smaller the bottle you buy them in.

Fun Alternatives go to a supermarket like Edeka or Lidl and buy a giant liter size. it's a fraction of the price.

Jan 05, 2005

Home of the Irish? No!

Actually all bars and restaurants inside Europa Center near Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church are tourist traps through and through, but the one in the basement is a real outrage: the so called Irish pub! If you like pubs where third-rate bands play horrible cover versions of the Beatles or John Denver and moreover the price of a draught Guinness is anything but standard...well, you should go there. If not, I recommend you lots of other and much better Irish pubs in Berlin.

Unique Suggestions Located in the heart of West-Berlin you might meet lots of other tourists there....

Fun Alternatives In the western part of Berlin you can find at least two good Irish or English bars:

The Black Swan, Leibnizstr.81, 10625 Berlin (premiership football live coverage on Saturdays and Sundays!)....unfortunately I had to find out that The Black Swan has been closed in the meantime, what a pity!

The Irish Harp, Giesebrechtstr.15, 10629 Berlin

Fischerinsel 12, Berlin, 10179, Germany
Spittelmarkt 13, Berlin, 10117, Germany
Charlottenstrasse 49, Berlin, 10117, Germany

Brandenburger Tor / Potsdamer Platz

If You think, You HAVE to go there, dont be hungry or thirsty, the prices are enourmos!
And there are no interesting shops ("Unter den Linden", buy souveniers and forget it) or pubs anyway.
A Place like Potsdamer Platz, build up in only 5 years, what kind of atmossphere do You expect?
Its like an suburbian shopping mall, you can find that in your hometown.

Try that area at night if you like to fall in depression...

Unique Suggestions If your interested in arts, you can find the old "Weinhaus Huth" between that pseudy-skyline, old building with modern art (its Daimler-Chrysler...) on the top floor, entrance is free , small but good changing exhibitions od contemporary arts!

Fun Alternatives In the Berlin districts Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain, Mitte and Prenzlauer Berg, all are located to the City, you can find a lot of pubs and restaurants with affordable prices and good atmossphere. Kitchen of all the world countries and lots of them open all the time. You can have breakfast from night 4:00 to daytime 5:00 h, try Paul-Lincke-Ufer by sunshine, lots of places to eat out in the sun, on Tuesdays and Fridays there is a big market on the other side of the "Landwehr"-Channel , nearby at the "Urban-Hafen" you can take your food on the ships laying there.

blackbirdxx's Profile Photo
Apr 12, 2004

Restaurants on Oranienburgher Straße

With the exception of Tacheles, any restaurant or bar in this area or on this street is overpriced, touristy, and not that great. Actually I take it back, there are some nice restaurants here, but this isn't really Berlin to me.

Unique Suggestions Tacheles is good, go here!

Fun Alternatives Take your money to Kreuzberg or Friedrichshain if you wanna be part o the tourist machine, these neighborhoods deserve it more.

Apr 06, 2003

Zur letzten Instanz

This was the main place I wanted to see in Berlin and though it is a 150-year-old gem of a pub with regard to its interior, the service and attitude makes it only worth passing interest. The food is over-priced too.

Unique Suggestions I wanted to sit in the atmospheric front room but was told it was reserved even though it was very early for dinner. We sat in the back room and between the slack service (maybe they could have paid more attention to us if we were in the front room!) and pumped in radio music, it just did not live up to my expectations.

Fun Alternatives Ask to sit in the front, if they say no, snap a photo and head over to Aufsturz on Oranienbruger Strasse!

richiecdisc's Profile Photo
Mar 24, 2003

Georgbraeu Brauhaus

This is a typical made for tourists brewpub. It's all shiny and looks just great. From the looks of the people here, it was doing a great job of convincing them that this was a great German traditional place with excellent beer. I hope the food is good, we didn't stay to eat, but the beers were just awful and proof that not all German beer is good.

Unique Suggestions You'd be better off just walking along the pretty Spreeufer this brewpub is located on. It's right along the river and one of the prettiest areas of town.

Fun Alternatives Check out Lindenbrau in the Sony Center of the Potsdamer Platz. It's got some very good beer and a more stunning setting too.

richiecdisc's Profile Photo
Mar 24, 2003
alancollins's Profile Photo

alancollins's Profile Photo

matcrazy1's Profile Photo

"More than the capital of Germany"
Kakapo2's Profile Photo

"Berlin, Berlin - wir fahren nach Berlin!"
croisbeauty's Profile Photo

"Berlin in my way"

Things To Do Near Berlin

Berliner Dom - Berlin Cathedral

The next building that I liked after visiting the Neue Wache was Berlin Cathedral. This is located on Museum Island. It was completed in 1905. There is a garden outside it which is known as the...

Neue Wache - New Guardhouse

The Neue Wache is located on Unter den Linden. I had researched Unter den Linden prior to our visit and was quite excited about walking along it. This excitement proved to be misplaced as at the...

Staatsoper - Opera

This venerable opera house has been the scene of some very lively and innovative productions in recent years, for instance Rinaldo by Georg Friedrich Haendel (1685-1759). This production was not only...

Humboldt University

This famous university isn’t a visitor attraction in the true sense of the word, but its historic background makes it more than worthy of a review. The main building is situated in Unter den Linden...

DDR Museum

On our tourist map we saw a marking for the DDR Museum and quickly added it to our itinerary. DDR stands for Deutsche Demokratische Republik, otherwise known as East Germany. The DDR Museum is...

Museum Island - Bode Museum

This first visit to the sculpture collection of the Bode Museum was well above my expectations. Years ago I discovered the medieval sculptures at the Cluny Museum in Paris and since than I'm...

Getting to Berlin

We don't yet have an address for this Tourist Traps. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Tourist Traps. Help us improve our info!