Cologne Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Cologne

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo

Bistro L'Orange: Pleasant Bistro

by Chinggis_n_Borte Updated Dec 10, 2015

In the same building as the Observation Tower at Ottoplatz 1 is a nice Bistro/Café where we had a delicious soup of Carrot and Ginger with garnishes of saffron, which was perfect for the increasingly cool weather outside.

The Bistro has a website: http://www.koelntriangle.de/cafe_bistro_restaurant/
    The contact details are:
    l´Orange Cafe Bistro Restaurant
    Ottoplatz 1
    50679 Köln
    T +49 221 29 07 72 57
    info@l-orange-koeln.de

They are open Mondays to Fridays from 8.00 to 17.00.

Address: Ottoplatz 1

Directions: across the river from the Old Town

Phone: +49 221 29 07 72 57

Website: http://www.koelntriangle.de/cafe_bistro_restaurant/

carrot and ginger soup

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo

Wirtshaus Schwejk: VT Meeting and Dinner with HORSCHECK

by Chinggis_n_Borte Updated Oct 20, 2015

The Day was 16th of October 2015, and the time was 1800H. We were holding a Virtual Tourist Flag in front of The Dom ( The Cathedral of Cologne) when HORSCHECK came on our starboard side. After a friendly gesture and introduction we walked towards the Rhein and the Hohenzollern Bridge and the adjacent esplanade.

And by 1900H we entered a beautiful Czech Restaurant called Wirtshaus Schwejk. It was very comfortable well lit and had a very good ambience. We were seated upstairs, and it was a great place to have a chat about the thing we all love: travel. We had a great time meeting HORSCHECK who was a great host and is a very interesting person. We hope to catch up with him again in the future.

For an entree we all chose a potato soup with sausage.

Chinggis ordered chicken schnitzel stuffed with mozzarella and tomato.

Borte had pork, sauerkraut and dumplings. In Czech, it is Veprova Pecene, In English, it is on the menu as Roasted Pork with Sauerkraut and Dumplings, and in German, it is Böhmischer Schweinebraten mit Sauerkraut und böhmischen Knödeln.

The food arrived quickly. The potatoes on HORSCHECK's plate looked very delicious! The meals were delicious and the food was abundant. The waiter was friendly. The prices were very reasonable.

Here is a link to the restaurant: http://www.wirtshaus-schwejk.de/
    Here is a link to a page on their website with some of the dishes in three languages: Czech, German and English:

Favorite Dish: All that were mentioned were enjoyed by us.

Address: Am Groß St. Martin 2 50667 Köln

Directions: Not far from the Rhein River, in St Martin.

Phone: 0221 – 25 80 634

Website: http://www.wirtshaus-schwejk.de/

entree - potato soup with sausage HORSCHECK's meal Restaurant in K��ln chinggis' meal borte's meal - roast pork, sauerkraut and dumpling

Restaurant Pfeffermuhle

by Oleg_D. Updated Sep 26, 2015

This restaurant is situated and famous Heumarkt Square. This is big quadrangular square with the monument at its southern part and many restaurants at its northern part. We had our lunch in “Pfeffermuhle” and it was delicious. We took traditional German Bratwurste and beer. It was Gaffel Kolsch. Service was fast and professional, waiters spoke fluent English. So, if you need excellent beer and traditional German cuisine then “Pfeffermuhle” is yours.

Address: Heumarkt 54, Cologne

Phone: 0221/2582885

Website: http://www.gaffel.de/Koelsch-und-Essen/Auswaerts-geniessen/Pfeffermuehle-gg565.html

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Oshos Place: Good vegetarian food

by christine.j Updated Jun 14, 2015

A nice, large restaurant serving good,vegetarian food. It's a self-service place, not expensive at all. They try to be as organic as possible, with free-range eggs ( that sounds weird, eggs from free-range chicken is better).
    Free W-Lan is offered and there is a special lunch dish each day.

Address: Venloer Straße 5-7, Cologne

Website: http://www.oshos-place.de/index.html

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Columbus: better be hungry then eat here

by croisbeauty Updated Jun 4, 2015

Columbus is another Spanish restaurant where I had lunch, it is also situated in the Altstadt. I was attracted by its look from outside and the nice terrace in the inneryard, but made mistake because it was my biggest disappointing. I can't imagine how can survive such an restaurant situated in a very attractive area but offering so low quality of food........

Favorite Dish: As it can be seen on my recent photo, restaurant Columbus is closed and replaced by Hacienda.

Address: Heumarkt 60

Phone: 221/8906100

Hacienda, ex-Columbus Restaurant Columbus

Brauhaus Sion Kolsch: Brauhaus Sion Kolsch

by Oleg_D. Updated Oct 9, 2014

There are different sorts of local beer Kolsh. Sion Kolsch is the best to my test. You can find that beer and food of traditional German cuisine in the restaurant of Brauhaus Sion Kolsh situated between Am Hof and City Hall in the historical center of the city. Beer was excellent and food delicious. Waters spoke English fluently. Here you can feel the spirit of local carnivals. I highly recommend visiting that restaurant and I hope nobody will be disappointed.

Address: Unter Taschenmacher 5-7, Cologne

Phone: 0221 - 2 57 85 40

Website: http://brauhaussion.de/

Löwenbräu Brauhaus: Löwenbräu Brauhaus

by Oleg_D. Written Oct 7, 2014

If you need a piece of Bavaria in Cologne then visit Löwenbräu Brauhaus at the corner of the Battermarkt and Salzgasse. You will get there Lowenbrau Bavarian beer and traditional German food. This is good restaurant with friendly waters speaking fluent English.

Address: Frankenwerft 21, 50667 Köln

Phone: +49 221 2577971

Website: http://www.koeln.de/gastro/eintrag/1486/restaurants/loewenbraeu-koeln-hotel-und-restaurant-am-rhein/

Farmer’s Steakhouse: Farmer’s Steakhouse

by Oleg_D. Written Oct 7, 2014

This wonderful steakhouse is situated at the southern edge of Wallrafplatz Square just at the ground floor of the Top Hotel Koenigshof. It will take only couple minutes to get the place by walk from the cathedral. So, you are going to get there excellent North American (US) and local German cuisines. I have eaten a lot of steaks at different parts of Texas and I dare to tell that local steaks are not worse. If you are hungry and ready to eat a bull then this place is yours! You well be fed up and totally satisfied! I was several times during my visit to Cologne. All waters are very friendly and polite and they spoke fluent English.

Address: An der Rechtsschule 1-3 (Wallrafplatz), 50667

Phone: +49 221 2578754

Nudelhaus am Dom: Nudelhaus am Dom

by Oleg_D. Written Oct 7, 2014

Restaurant Nudelhous am Dom situated in front of southern portal of Cologne Cathedral and near Germano-Roman Museum. So, you can take a sit at the restaurant, enjoy the food of Italian or German cuisines and excellent view at the cathedral. Food and beer were delicious, waters are polite and friendly and I recommend visiting this place.

Address: Am Hof 20, 50667 Köln,

Phone: +49 221 27745555

Website: http://www.nudelhaus-am-dom.de/

• stevemt's Profile Photo

Pfaffen Brauhaus Koln: Fantastic traditional German food

by stevemt Written Aug 3, 2014

This brewery/restaurant is not to be missed. The food is fantastic, well priced, and the beer not too bad either.

Wonderful ambiance and setting.

Staff were great.

I was taken here by my hostess for the day, who had been brought here by someone else.

I will certainly be back.

Address: Heumarkt 62, 50667 Köln

Phone: +49 221 2577765

Website: http://www.max-paeffgen.de/englisch/

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Toro Negro: not bad but not good either

by croisbeauty Updated Jun 6, 2013

Toro Negro is Spanish restaurant located in the Altstadt of Cologne. I was a bit disappointed with the ambient inside the restaurant but it has pretty attractive patio. I went for a lunch here with idea to take some light food.

Favorite Dish: The weiter suggested grilled lamb chops telling that the lamb is originated from Basque in Spain, which was promising recommendation. I ordered potatoes too but had to pay it extra, which I found very strange. To be honest, this lamb was very far from the quality of lamb we have in my country Croatia. The meat was tough and almost tasteless.
    I was suggested to take "Rioja" red wine, also originated from Basque, which I never tested before. Can't say wheter it was because of bad meat but I didn't feel this wine at all.
    The only good thing about this restaurant was a service. I found 25 euros for a price far too much for what I got.

Address: Salzgasse 1

Phone: 221/2588426

Toro Negro & Hacienda Toro Negro Toro Negro

Poncho's: Argentinian big steaks

by croisbeauty Updated Jun 6, 2013

It seems that I was very lucky to be alone otherwise wouldn't be able to get my lunch because Poncho's was fully housed. The weiter told me its hard to get free place on weekends if not booked in advance. Ponco's is typical Argentinian steakhouse all in wood and cow hides. It is situated under the ground level in a sort of cave, which gave it extra charming atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: I find this place by chance when was strolling around and since it was a dinner time I went downstairs intentionally to get a big portion of famous Chorizo beef. The restaurant was overcrowded by hubgry people and I had to wait around 45 minutes to get my dinner.
    Can you imagine a 300 gr. of soft Argentinian meat barbecued in front of your eyes! It was delisious, soft and very tasty. The weiter suggested Poncho's salad which was good but very chilly. In case you take one beer usually after this salad you will have to order one or two extra beers.
    The service was good and friendly, kind of easy going and I did like it. I paid 30 euros which is very resonable price for such a well made food.

Address: Salzgasse 11

Directions: Altstadt, not far from Grosse Sankt Martin

Phone: 221/2772999

Poncho's

Slavia: Very good Croatian restaurant

by croisbeauty Updated Jun 5, 2013

Actualy I've noticed this restaurant as soon as I get to my hotel, (because it is next door), but was littlebit suspicious for the name.There are many restaurants in Germany, held by people from ex-Yugoslavia, but in some of them Croats are not welcome if held by Serbs and vice versa. It is not something that started in 1991, I still remember unpleasant exeprience I had in "Balkan" restaurant in Frankfurt, back in 1980.
    Anyhow, after long morning strolling around the city I was pretty much hungry and have decided to take my chance. In some way I am always able to recognize my compatriots if meeting them abroad, therefore I addressed to the weiter in Croatian, which he understood perfectly.

Favorite Dish: Beans broth with smoked-ham or chilly sausage is traditional Croatian dish which I like very much. If made in a proper way, it proofs the good quality ot the specific restaurant and one certainly wouldn't be disappointed with other dishes. I had also two medium beers and coffee and all cost me less then 15,00 Euros. Oh yes, the beans broth was very tasty.

Address: Am Bollwerk 7

Restaurant Slavia beans broth Restaurant Slavia

Kunibert der Fiese: Zero points on my list

by croisbeauty Updated Jun 5, 2013

Due to a bad weather conditions in Cologne, I've broke my rules and first evening had diner in the hotel restaurant. Besides, the guy told me the restaurant offers good Italian cuisine. Btw, the weiter was Italian and I've followed his advice but then he went off before I've finished my dinner. The next day, after my lamentation, he was smaller then the mouse.

Favorite Dish: It was 10:00PM when I entered in the empty restaurant (see the picture), and that should be always a good sign for alert. On the other hand, it was snowing outside and I wasn't in mooth to get out.
    Anyhow, I ordered grilled medallions with moushrooms and potatoes. The meat was as hard as the sole of my shoe. Something bad as that I haven't eat for ages. Oh yes, I paid 23,00 Euros!

Kunibert der Fiese Kunibert der Fiese Kunibert der Fiese

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

Papa Joe's Biersalon - Klimperkasten: German Food , Bier and Music!

by bpwarne Updated Nov 2, 2012

Nice cozy feel to this restaurant. Although it has a Jazz theme and plays live jazz music, the food is mostly German. Quite a few different beers on tap.Inside and outside dining on market square.

Favorite Dish: Try the Malzer-Teller, Fresh curly kale, cologne style, mixed with potatoes and a German salami sausage. I found it to be excellent. Wash it down with a Gaffel Kölsch, a local beer brewed in Cologne. It is a clear beer with a bright, straw-yellow hue, and a prominent hoppiness, less bitter than most German pale lagers.

Address: 50667 Koln, Alter Markt 50 - 52

Directions: 2 minutes from the "Dom" cathedral in Cologne's old town

Phone: +49 (0)221/2582132

Website: http://www.papajoes.de

Malzer-Teller and Gaffel kolsch bier
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Cologne

Comments

Cologne Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cologne restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cologne sightseeing.