Bingen am Rhein Restaurants

Fleischkäse
    by toonsarah
  • Karl and Isa in the restaurant, with my
    Karl and Isa in the restaurant, with my...
    by toonsarah
  • Restaurants
    by Trekki

Most Recent Restaurants in Bingen am Rhein

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Biergarten Ludwig IV Paulaner: Lunch by the river

by toonsarah Written Jun 26, 2015

We were pleased to find a table free in the relatively small indoor section of the Biergarten Ludwig IV Paulaner, as the wind from the river was chilly that day. This was a good choice for lighter meals (though "lighter" is a relative term in German cuisine, which I do like but which can be a little over-filling!) I focused on the options featuring my favourite Kartofelsalat (potato salad) and opted for the Fleischkäse (like a slice of fried meat loaf). The salad was great, the meat fine, and the accompanying Weisswein Schorle (white wine spritzer) was also good. Others in our group ate Wurstsalat (sausage salad) which looked good (although personally I was in the mood for something hot!) and a pancake soup which was a broth with strips of pancake in it and smelt lovely.

All in all this was a pleasant lunch spot with friendly service from the traditionally dressed waitress, and would have been an even better choice had the weather been nice enough for us to sit in the large riverside garden.

Directions: Near the large statue of Ludwig IV. If you arrive at the river from the town centre / station, turn left for about 200 metres. If you arrive by boat, it’s very close to the jetties

Website: http://https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ludwig-IV-Paulaner-Biergarten/927597757284253

Fleischk��se Karl and Isa in the restaurant, with my

Ludwig IV Paulaner Biergarten: Nice and reasonable beer garden at the river

by Trekki Updated Jun 5, 2015

When our group was in Bingen to catch the KD boat back to Koblenz in May 2015, we were early and had time to stroll along the riverbank. Walking westwards, towards “Museum am Strom” we passed Ludwig IV Paulaner Beergarden and decided that this will be the place where we would have lunch.

Yes, in my opinion it was a good decision. The dishes are a good mixture of typical Bavarian dishes combined with typical dishes from the region. Price-wise this beer garden is more reasonable than the other two restaurants I visited the year before (Altes Zollamt and WeinZeit Vinothek) and it is also less “chichi”, which is why I liked it immediately. I had the “Wurstsalat” (sausage salad with cheese, onions, chives and pickled gherkin; 8,90 Euro), the others in our group had “Fleischkäse” (fried piece of meat loaf with potato salad and bread; 8,90 Euro) and a pancake soup (4,90 Euro).
    (Prices as of May 2015).

It was too cold to sit outside but I am sure it would be very nice in the beer garden when it is sunny.
    They don't have a website but a Facebook page, and the menu is only in German.

Location of Ludwig IV Paulaner Beer Garden on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., May 2015 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

Address: Hindenburganlage 3, Bingen

Website: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ludwig-IV-Paulaner-Biergarten/927597757284253

Wurstsalad - sausage salad Fleischk��se (meat loaf) with potato salad Pancake soup

Zollamt: Relaxing wine and snacks at Rhine River

by Trekki Updated Jun 5, 2015

When I was here with a friend during Whitsunday 2014, we definitely wanted to eat somewhere at the river, because it was hot and we hoped for a nice breeze and of course the river view. We had passed “Zollamt” already in the morning when we walked to the ferry to Rüdesheim and decided that we would try it out. Now we are both vegetarians, which is slightly difficult in this region because many meals have meat or ham as ingredients. But, Zollamt had two vegetarian dishes on the menu, which we ordered and shared. One was Flammkuchen, or Tarte Flambée, as Wikipedia describes it. Their version was with feta cheese, olives, bell pepper and fresh rocket salad (8,50 Euro). Our other dish was the so-called Hildegard of Bingen salad, a selection of lettuce with croutons, cheese and a vinaigrette dressing of mixed herbs (8,90 Euro). Both were very delicious! We also loved the fresh bread we received for our salad and tarte. The one which looks sightly yellowish was with ramsons and corn.
    (Prices as of June 2014)

They even have an English menu, although I find the translations slightly strange. Flammkuchen, for example, is being translated as flame cake, which might be misleading. But they try and I find that good, given the fact that not many English websites or menus exist in the region.

Location of Zollamt, Bingen, on Bing Maps = no 2.

© Ingrid D., June 2014 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

Website: http://zollamtbingen.de/

Flammkuchen, with feta cheese Hildegard of Bingen salad Very delicious bread

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Der Kleine Weinprinz: Rheinstein Castle: excellent gastronomy!

by Trekki Updated Jun 5, 2015

Rheinstein Castle had a small cafe with terrace already since many years. But Marco Hecher, son of the owner, had renovated and expanded the gastronomy in 2012, quite a challenging task given the steep hill. I already liked to have lunch on the terrace anytime I was up there before the expansion, but given the menu list it must be better than ever now. They serve only snacks, but very delicious sounding ones and all are with local ingredients and local products. Their cheese cake is legendary as is their Zwiebelkuchen (onion cake). They offer several snacks, desserts, cake, ice cream, coffee in several varieties, tea, liquors (especially their vineyard peach liquor sounds delicious, that’s a local specialty of peach which only grown in vineyards), Schnaps, beer and wine.

The restaurant is accessible only with entry to the castle of course. But it is well worth, because the castle is the best and most lovingly cared about in whole Rhein/Rhine Valley. And to sit there, next to the castle, with view to the river and the ships passing by.... this is priceless!

Their current menu (since 2014):
    Menu of Kleiner Weinprinz - with English translation! :-) They have made a very nice gallery with the current dishes, have a look at their Gallery: in the German website, but the photos show it all (first link shows the dishes, second link shows views of and from the restaurant).

Opening hours:
    Mid March - November 1st: Wed - Sun: 11:00 - 18:00 (Monday and Tuesday = days of rest)

© Ingrid D., December 2010, updates June 2015 (links and additional information).

continue with next review

Address: Burg Rheinstein

Directions: Rössler Line (the boat company) has a stop at Burg Rheinstein's pier. Otherwise the castle is only accessible by car.

Website: http://www.kleiner-weinprinz.de/

WeinZeit in der Vinothek Bingen am Rhein: Wine bar, at Bingen's Rhein promenade

by Trekki Updated Jun 5, 2015

A couple of years ago I had nice lunch here with Australian friends. So I was hoping that we find some nice dishes during the weekend of Pentecost (June 2014) when I visited the region and Rhine Valley with a friend from US. She is vegetarian and I prefer vegetarian dishes in the meantime, which seemed to be quite a challenge in the land of “Wein & Wurst” (wine and sausage).

Somehow I was disappointed to see that ownership has changed since my last visit. I can’t even say if the restaurant has improved. Ok, I can, but only for my personal taste: I found the former one better because it wasn’t as “chichi” as the current one. But then I love authentic regional dishes without frippery and without having to show-off (show-off places are not my kind of thing).

We both found vegetarian dishes on the menu but these two were the only ones. The others were mostly typical snacks from the region, albeit they looked good when I saw what the waitresses brought to the other tables. We had tagliatelle with rocket pesto and almonds (delicious) and a flaky pastry tarte with light cream cheese (Frischkäse in German, which is much lighter than cream cheese) and red bell peppers (delicious). It was way too hot to drink wine, so I had grape juice spritz (mixture of grape juice and water) and my friend had water with freshly squeezed lemon juice. After having finished our meal we took seat in one of the beach chairs to finish our drinks. It was a fabulous feeling, but again, it was too hot to stay there for longer.

Prices (June 2014): tagliatelle: 9,50 Euro, tarte: 6,50 Euro, grape juice spritz (0,4 l): 3,80 Euro.
    Payment is possible with major credit cards and bank card, or cash.
    Sadly they have no English menu.

Location of WeinZeit, Vinothek, on Bing Maps = no 1.

© Ingrid D., June 2014, completely new written due to the change in owners (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

Address: Hindenburganlage, 55411 Bingen am Rhein

Phone: +49 - 6721 - 99 12 03

Website: http://www.vinothek-bingen.de/genuss-am-fluss/getraenke-speisen/

(old photo, from 2009)
    • Wine Tasting

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

The Biergarten 1-1/2 blocks from NH Bingen: Enjoy a beer by the river

by jessicadf Updated Mar 16, 2006

I'm afraid I can't remember the name of this business and I don't have a receipt. Suffice it to say that it's obvious if you're near downtown, looking along the Rhine. If you see the NH Bingen, then 2 blocks South, on the river bank is a large biergarten. Here you can watch football on large screens, drink good beers (or radler, in my case) and have your fill of pub food. Dad enjoyed his leberkaese and Mark and I enjoyed our schnitzel (mine with mushroom sauce). Do NOT order more than one order of frites for a group of 3. We ordered two, mistakenly, and had a LOT of food left over. They do NOT skimp on portions here. :-)

Favorite Dish: Schnitzel with mushroom sauce. Or perhaps the radler.

Weizen!

• antistar's Profile Photo

K-D Cafe: K-D Cafe

by antistar Written Apr 5, 2005

While you wait for your ship to arrive you can enjoy coffee and cake in the K-D cafe a few yards from the jetty. This allows you to sit down and relax right up until the last moment before it docks. Just pray that it is a nice day because the place is smoky as hell, even by German standards. I stank of cigarettes after only standing inside momentarily to make my order. The coffee is ok, though, and the cakes are typically good German fare.

Directions: On the Rhein Promenade.

Instant Answers: Bingen am Rhein

Comments

Bingen am Rhein Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bingen am Rhein restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bingen am Rhein sightseeing.

View all Bingen am Rhein hotels