Related Dresden General Tips

Most Viewed General in Dresden

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

the glow over the glow

by richiecdisc Written Nov 26, 2006

Fondest memory: But with our VT friends in town, we took some time off to show them the sights as well as enjoy some relaxation by the city’s natural focal point, the Elbe River. A riverside beer garden provided the perfect venue and soon everyone was laughing and talking as if we got together every weekend in just this spot. Time passed quickly and it was soon time to say goodbye despite a perfect sunset obviously on its way. Our friends would go off on a photo shoot that would undoubtedly bring the perfectly light on Dresden’s incredible skyline. The new Frauenkirche would be prominently displayed and my envy was surely noticeable. But with family waiting and an upcoming wedding that still needed some tending, there was little I could do but head home faithfully.

A few days later after an amazing wedding, Doreen and I would get another crack at it with another glorious day. But we had a family bbq planned for the evening and with June’s sun setting quite late, I walked in vain up and down the Elbe to find a perfect spot to get a photo. It wasn’t the vantage points that were the problem; it was just too early. I snapped what photos I was going to get and again headed home to be with family. I knew I was passing up on a glowing red Frauenkirche but Doreen had spent two years living in the US without seeing her family for one day. This would be one of the last evenings she would get to spend with them before returning to her new home. The glow on her family’s faces when she’s around is worth more than any hues produced by a setting sun. Besides, there would be bratwursts, beers and all of my favorites at the bbq. There would be laughter and one very happy family. And my wife’s face would glow as she looked at mine, knowing full well that she was more important to me than any photo I might take.

enjoying the family bbq
    • Architecture
    • Beer Tasting

• germanyexpert's Profile Photo

World heritage Dresden

by germanyexpert Updated Nov 3, 2006

Favorite thing: Since 2004 Dresden has got the Unesco world heritage status, because of its attractions like Semper Opera, the Zwinger, the 18km long Elbe valley including the steel bridge "Blue wonder" and the Pillnitz castle. The capital of Saxony looks back on a moving history - the golden era of August the Strong, the terrible time of war and the following years, when it was rebuilt. To get some impressions why it is absolutely worth visiting go to Germanplaces

• Museum Visits
    • Castles and Palaces

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

The city...

by sourbugger Written Jan 27, 2006

Favorite thing: I've talked breifly about the destruction of the city in the 'shopping tip', whatever the rights and wrongs of the action , it destroyed a stunning beautiful city.

Since the war, Dresden has developed a kind of Architectural Schizophrenia. On the one hand the old town has been rebuilt in a way that can only be described as a massive tribute to the human spirit. The Art galleries , opera and churches have once again risen from the ashes.

The rebuilding of the rest of the city has however not been approached in the same way. Much of Dresden in an example of a the kind of brutalist concrete East-European construction that is postively Basildonesque*

The Shopping centre betwwen the main station and the old town is another example - large expanses of univiting concrete, although the IBIS hotel is quite useful to stay in here.

*Basildon is the uglist town in England.

Ibis, Dresden
    • Architecture

• Antji's Profile Photo

Stadtfest / Party of the City Dresden

by Antji Updated Sep 26, 2004

Favorite thing: Every year Dresden has its Stadtfest (or Party of the City) in end of august.
    There are so much events in the Altstadt of Dresden - music, fireworks, bands, lots of stands of eating and drinking...and so much people.
    In 2006 Dresden will celebrate its 800 year Party.
    I can recommend everybody to come to this big Party!

Stadtfest 2004

• mauro_pd's Profile Photo

Public transport while ...

by mauro_pd Written Jan 8, 2004

Favorite thing: ... completely drunken :-))))))) JP's waiting for a tram after the alcoholic Wenzel dinner ... definitely better than driving home !!!!
    As you can easily get from the pic quality I was also a little bit "confused" :-)))))

• Madschick's Profile Photo

Beautiful city

by Madschick Updated Nov 8, 2003

Favorite thing: I have been to Dresden twice now and I really like this city! The architecture is amazing, interesting museums as well as great nightlife and a fantastic surrounding landscape make a visit to Dresden absolutely worthwhile!

Dresden silhouette
    • Museum Visits

• Gillianina's Profile Photo

Kunst genießen :-)

by Gillianina Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Gemälde Galerie Alte Meister. (Old Masters gallery). This is a museum located in the Zwinger, with several wonderful and precious paintings by painters like the Italian Carracci, Raffaello, and also German, as the romantic painter Caspar David Friedrich. This was the place I liked the most in Dresden and the one of which I have the most beautoful memories :-)

Fondest memory: Our guide was great, a man who really loved his job and made all what he said really interesting. He surely contributed to make my trip in Dresden so beautiful.

ticket of the Old Masters Gallery
    • Study Abroad

• stipvisiten's Profile Photo

...see the bridge Blaues...

by stipvisiten Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: ...see the bridge Blaues Wunder (blue wonder). Next to it a a very good Italian restaurant (Villa marie), one of the best in town 8not really cheap, but good, so if you can afford it...)

Fondest memory: The special character of the river - you can walk from the city to the bridge Blaues Wunder, and you will see romantic meadows, castles, the village of Loschwitz within the hills...

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Wonderful city

by tini58de Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Dresden is such a wonderful place to visit: the Altstadt (old town) has all these old places to visit (beautifully restored) and the Neustadt (new town) has a lot of atmosphere and nightlife going on!

And the surrounding towns and landscapes are worth a visit, too!

Dresden

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Enjoy the city day and night...

by richiecdisc Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Enjoy the city day and night as it is one of those places which is creatively and well lit.

Fondest memory: As one grows older, it’s said you become more set in your ways, but I was a person that was pretty bull-headed to begin with so I hoped to mellow with the passing years. I figured that if I didn’t, I would be hard pressed for companionship. I had met a lovely girl, named Doreen, who would test my resolve on our first real excursion together. She had been more than accommodating, bringing me to the most offbeat of beer shrines on my quest for the perfect pint but on landing in her hometown, there was little in the way of beer to drive me, and I tried to let her take the reigns in showing me a good time and her life. Her family was warm and welcoming, with sumptuous meals and a big-hearted acceptance that seemed to implicitly understand how I felt about their daughter. They lived in a small village south of Dresden and the serenity in the dead cold of winter was a welcomed respite from the constant spate of touring I had done in the previous months. We did various daytrips and I forgot all the guidebooks, letting this amazing new force in my life be my light. On an excursion to Dresden one day, we arrived on a brilliant if bitterly cold day. I wanted to just utilize the perfect angle of the waning winter sun to shoot a roll of film I had just loaded, so as to have a more suitable speed film for later that night. She wanted to warm up with a coffee and then do a tour of the Opera House. We rushed over and I silently hoped that we would miss the start but as luck would have it, they were just about to depart. It was the off-season and there were only German speaking tours available but she treated me to a ticket and there was little I could do but grin and bear it as best I could. Though it was an amazing piece of reconstruction and a beautiful building, it paled in comparison to the one I had toured in Budapest just a few months before and I grew bored quickly with the patter of the German narrative. Every time we passed a window, I saw the sun shining brightly and then slowly going down, but though she sensed I was not happy, I veiled my seething discontent well. In my younger years, this charade would have led to me boiling over and picking a huge argument as soon as the tour was over. But after calmly explaining that I would have rather not done the tour and enjoyed the nice weather, and that I was just trying to go along with what she wanted to do, she explained that I should have simply told her what I really wanted. We smiled at how simple that sounded, but I knew that I had grown a bit by doing as she wanted, and not whined about it later. I had compromised. I snapped as many photos as I could but soon the sun was too low and I still had half a roll of film in the camera. I would have to take the night photos with what was loaded but I had a tripod, and I would make do. I also had a lovely sweet girl following me all over town in the freezing cold night air, never complaining. So, I smiled once again and I said, “thank you.”

• Bigs's Profile Photo

have a look at all the...

by Bigs Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: have a look at all the historical sights. There is no better place in Germany to feel the change of times... The early centuries, World war 2, the GDR days and the latest years until now...you will find a bit of everything in this wonderful city.

Fondest memory: I miss the red and green pedestrian traffic lights, the 'Ampelmännchen'! The eastern signs are different from the 'Wessie' ones.... I think the eastern ones are much nicer!

• Violette's Profile Photo

visit Dresden's Galerie Alt...

by Violette Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: visit Dresden's Galerie Alt Master(because it's the best galerie in the World),Zwinger and all his museums,operhause.

Fondest memory: the best thing was Raffael's Sixtinische Madonna.It's great pic.Very big and amazing!

• Luis_Alberto's Profile Photo

I wish, I would have had more...

by Luis_Alberto Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: I wish, I would have had more time, in this great German city, which is now coming back to life slowly from the devastation it suffered during the Second World War. In a short day, I was able to visit, some great places. There is only an small part of the city, that has gone through restaurations, and it is not very difficult to visit most of these sites.

Fondest memory: PLEASE VISIT THE TRAVELOGUE FOR MORE PICTURES.

• DesertRat's Profile Photo

DesertRat's General Tip

by DesertRat Updated Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: In 1989 visitors to Dresden -- or any other East German city -- had terrible problems finding restaurants. Their hours were unreliable, the service was appallingly slow, and the food was unimaginative at best. And fast food was almost unobtainable apart from the odd ice-cream or sausage stand. Finding any place to sit down and munch was a trial; finding one that was actually attractive was impossible.

Photo: A rooftop snack bar in Dresden

Add to your Trip Planner
  • Spend as much time as you can...

by tom0990 Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Spend as much time as you can walking around the Altstadt admiring how beautiful it really is. Try to walk down the Elbe to get a great view of the city skyline. I found it fascinating to compare photos of Dresden at the end of WWII to the way that it appears now.

Fondest memory: Sitting outside in a cafe near the Semper Oper drinking a Felsenkeller Dunkel one beautiful evening watching people go by.

Dresden Hotels

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Gasthof Coschuetz
Pullman Dresden Newa

Instant Answers: Dresden

Comments

Dresden General

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Dresden locals.
Map of Dresden