Map &

Half-Day Private City Tour of Marbella and Puerto Banús
From EUR110.00

The Angry Friar Tips (8)

The Angry Friar Gibraltar: Appaulling place in Gibraltar

On a hot day, having a quick lunch outside seemed a good idea. On finding a table, the service was very slow, even though they did not appear very busy. Staff too busy chatting at the back of the seating area. After my sister had ordered a toasted cheese and onion sandwich, with had been threatened by a toaster and had plastic cheese that had not had chance to melt, she pointed out that the food was not up to standard and was threatened by two of the female staff, then they tried to eject her from the restaurant. When i asked the waitress what was going on, i was told, you get out too.
The worst service i have ever come across and on chatting to others that had traveled to Gibraltar, and those that live there, that were in our wedding party, the appalling service and standards in this place seem common knowledge, locally.
Definitely a place to avoid.

Jun 04, 2012

The Angry Friar: Never Ever eat here..

It had been a long day and I would have eaten anything. We were looking for somewhere to eat and were too hungry to care so we stopped at The Angry Friar. Seats outside and quite amusing seeing the guards march in the square. It really wasn't busy in the bar, yet the service reminded me of when people have been rushed off their feet all day and just wish you could go away. The menu was typical english pub grub. Fish and chips, pie and mash. Done well these can be a good meal. WELL even my mother heading into a diabetic coma found the food awful, The fish was frozen "captain birds eye" style (but more like asda own brand actually), the mash had a taste I had forgotten since I was in primary school, mash cooked days before and reheated. We were so hungry we were tempted by burger king but all agreed we wanted something cooked by a chef, a bit of home or nice cooking. WE DID NOT GET ANYTHING LIKE THIS. I wish we had ate in burger king , because I am sure that the students and newly immigrated workers that work for minimum wage would have taken more pride in what they where serving than this rubbish.

A bit further along the road is a fine dining restaurant cal;lled the Rock hotel. Where the food is of an excellent standard and may cost about 30% more but well well worth the cost. and this is with me feeling if I had paid what I paid in the angry friar for a night booth kebab I would have been happy.

Favorite Dish There was a rather unpleasant looking tissue in the rather dirty toilets, I wish I had ate that!

Jun 04, 2009

The Angry Friar: A cool place to watch the world go by

Good mix of locals and tourists, everyone seems pretty friendly, including the busy staff.

Beautiful place to relax outside in the early evening when everything is quietening down.

(The beer is good and cheap too.)

Favorite Dish I've not eaten here but the food looks pretty good when it goes past, and it is freshly cooked. Someone shared a chip butty with my scroungy partner and he said it was excellent. Hmmmm.

Last time I was there I noticed they had a spinach pie so that may be vegetarian. Price around £5 or £6 I think.

katepj's Profile Photo
Jun 03, 2007

The Angry Friar: Food OK but exchange on Euro out of line

We were in Gibralter this September 06 and remembered seeing information on the Angry Friar so we gave it a try. The food was ok, more like something my mom fed me on Friday nights, a TV dinner. I can live with that but the exchange rate converting euros into pounds was way out of line. My information to anyone going to Gibraltar for the day, exchange into pounds what you will need. The exchange rate euros into pounds is bad in many places. Would I go back to the Angry Friar, no, I would try other pubs in the area.

Oct 07, 2006
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near The Angry Friar

1 Boyd Street, Gibraltar
Sir Herbert Miles Road, PO Box 73, Gibraltar
3 Europa Road, Gibraltar
Principe de Asturias s/n, La Linea de la Concepcion, La Linea, Costa de la Luz, 11300, Spain
Los Caireles 2, La Li­nea de la Concepcion, La Linea, 11300, Spain
Ps. Mediterraneo S/N, Mont Roig Bahia, , Catalonia, 43892, Spain

The Angry Friar: Great food.

We found the Angry Friar to be a lovely friendly place and good value too,i had scampi,chips and salad and it was really nice and came out hot, you didn't have to wait for ages either.If you didn't want to eat here you can just have a drink,its quite small inside but there is a big seating area outside.

cazz38's Profile Photo
Nov 26, 2005

The Angry Friar: Small but fine

We also ate here a few times, both for breakfast and also we had dinner here a couple of nights.
Quite a small pub inside not a great many tables and chairs, but quite homely.

Favorite Dish The usual english breakfast and one evening I had scamp with chips and salad and it was very nice. Washed down by a few glasses of wine. :-)Here I am in the photo checking out the menu.

bugalugs's Profile Photo
Sep 28, 2004

The Angry Friar: Don't ask for a 'Snowball'

The Angry Friar is a 'typically' British pub, but don't ask for a 'Snowball', because they can't make one! They don't sell Bacardi Breezer's either!!
They serve a good selection of different meals, but broardly English style food.

Favorite Dish We had Fish and Chips (x2), Hot Dogs for Jaymes, a pint of Shandy, a 'Reef', and Scrumpy Jack cider, all for £19.70. Seemed very good value.
The only thing that spoilt it was the German gentleman at the next table, whose cigar smoke drifted over our meal!

Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo
Jan 09, 2004

Main Street,...

Main Street, in front of The Convent.
This nice pub has a lovely terrace in the square where the change of the guards takes place. A perfect place to have a typical english lunch (kidney pie, sausages, smashed potatoes, a huge pint...) after shopping all along Main Street. Don't miss the Hot Apple Pie, delicious!!

SirRichard's Profile Photo

"Gibraltar ......The Rock"
sugarpuff's Profile Photo

"A brief history..."
View Member

"Gibraltar - A British Colony"
HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

"Gibraltar - Home of the Rock"

Things To Do Near The Angry Friar

The Town / Main Street

Gibraltar’s Main Street it's were you can find a lot of shops selling duty free items as cigarettes, drinks, electronics and jewellery. There are also the familiar shops as we have in Britain as Marks...

Caves / Tunnels

St Michael's cave it was the first stop for our tour but again very short and by the time I adjusted the camera and taken few photos it was time to move on to the next attraction. It's a very large...

Barbary Apes

After we left St Michael's cave we stopped at the Apes Den for fifteen minutes again. When I'm was there weren't too many monkeys around as they have been fed about an hour earlier and they were just...

Cable Car

We waited about 40 mins - I had to persuade my wife not to take the minibus as the cable car ride is a bit of an institution. The queue in the hot summer heat was uncomfortable but the views and the...

The Rock

Now that the military restrictions were reduced, a couple of hours will be enough to go up to the top, visit the caves, enjoy the wide sights over the straight and Moroccan coast, and descend, meeting...

Statues / Monuments / Museums

The memorial to honour the Royal Marines is located by the Waterport just behind the marina. The memorial it was unveiled in March the 2nd 2009 to celebrate 300 years of the British and Dutch marines...

Getting to The Angry Friar

We don't yet have an address for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!