Thasos Island Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Thasos Island

• gwendar's Profile Photo

Thasos snakes

by gwendar Written Mar 11, 2014

The question of snakes on Thasos I have been to this island paradise now 6 times.
    I have not seen one yet,but I have been asked as to what snakes are here,there are answers to this on a few web sites.
    The most common snake im informed is one called the Montpellier sometimes found in olive groves,it can bite but is NOT FATAL but like most kinds of snake they tend to keep away from mankind.

The montpellier
    • Mountain Climbing
    • Horse Riding

Golden Sun bankrupt!

by Jenniflower Updated Apr 4, 2011

Golden Sun – the Tour Operator – went under 2 weeks after our holiday! There were thousands of people stranded on the islands of Portugal, Greece, Cyprus and Croatia and about 20,000 prospective holidaymakers were stuck with no pre-paid holiday.

We are so thankful that we had ours and that this didn’t happen whilst we were there!

So if you want to visit these places, organise it through Thompsons Travel. They dominate the tourist industry here and organise most of the charter flights and holidays.

Nude bathers swimming in Kavala
    • Archeology
    • Architecture

• mingul's Profile Photo

Aliki Beach

by mingul Updated Sep 13, 2010

Not exactly a danger, but be careful when swimming after 5 o'clock in the afternoon as wind starts to blow in Aliki bay. The water becomes colder and you have a good chance of catching a cold. I still had reminiscents of that cold even 10 days after I caught it

Flu

• mingul's Profile Photo

Driving in Potos

by mingul Updated Sep 11, 2010

Driving through Potos should be a nightmare for any calm person in summer peak season time. The place is packed with tourists and always-in-a-hurry greeks on scooters and small motorbikes. Everywhere you look, somebody has a problem that has to solve, from any small street or backyard a car with a few scooters will try to enter the main road. It's a madness altogether.

Also, if you are wise enough just to try to tranzit it, on the main road there are cars parked on both sides making the road to become a one lane road where buses trucks accompanied always by scooters try to make their way on both ways.

Conclusion: Everyday when I had to pass through Potos a pure feeling of nausea fondled my senses.

Potos traffic:(

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

No Valuables with you on beaches !

by greekcypriot Updated Jun 10, 2010

Don't carry any valuables with you when you get to a beach.
    Don't carry your passports or identity cards or tickets with you. Leave them in a safe or lock them in your suitcase in your hotel room.
    Also, carry only as much money you think you need, and never carry all your money with you.
    Imagine losing your passport in a foreign country, or have your money taken while you swim!

Valuables

• The hostile, angry, sad old man of Tripiti Beach

by thassostrip Written Jul 28, 2007

I would like to warn prospective visitors to Tripiti Beach about the very unpleasant encounter my family had with the rude, angry and insulting man who apparently takes care of the umbrellas and chairs on this otherwise beautiful beach.

We were sitting on a few of these chairs late in the day on July 25, 2007, when this man (who was closing down the umbrellas and arranging the chairs) came towards us screaming xenophobic insults and obscenities while making all kinds of hostile and aggressive gestures. He was probably angry because we were still using the chairs and took strength from the fact that we obviously did not understand well the Greek language.

He threw around chairs, knocked off my camera and scared our children (among which there were four very young girls). I was lucky to get a picture of him in a very explicit obscene gesture. The photo speaks for itself.

I have travelled the world around and never witnessed such outrageous, rude and insulting behavior in my life. Needless to say, I will not go back to Tripiti Beach. If you plan to visit anyway, beware of the angry old man in the wife-beater shirt and keep your family away from him.

If you own a hotel or taverna near Tripti beach, think twice about hiring this man for anything that might require contact with your customers. If you know the guy, tell him that he gives Greeks a bad name.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Topless sunbathing frowned upon!

by Jenniflower Updated Feb 15, 2005

Because VT is a family-friendly travel site, I have loaded the photo where the topless lady 'was' sitting, sans her in it ;)

Thassos has quite a conservative Greek community, where they frown upon men wearing no t-shirt even when walking down the street. They prefer people to cover up!

So suntanning topless was not looked upon kindly, and this lady did get some glares cast her way, but she seemed oblivious to everything and anyone around her...

Tourists of course dont know this often and walk around in tiny shorts and bikini tops, not aware that it is frowned upon. As I had done some research prior to going here we were aware of this and adhered to their customs.

Website: http://www.thassos-island.com

Brilliant suntanning on Skala Potamia beach
    • Water Sports

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Medicines are all Greek to us!

by Jenniflower Updated Jan 14, 2005

We, along with 2 other ladies in our tour group, fell ill a few days into the holiday – so had to waste a couple of days in bed. There was no chemist at our local village, and Lance – sick with flu – had to walk about 10 kms in the wind and rain – a storm had come in – to get medicine.

When we got it we couldn’t even see if I as an asthmatic could take it as it was all in Greek! Of course the chemist was no help, not being able to speak a word of English… so I couldn’t risk take anything anyway, even after Lance’s long trek.

Warning - bring as much of your own medicine you might need, as the chemists are few and far btwn on Thassos island (although, to be honest, we chose this island to escape the huge crowds!), plus everything's in Greek! This could be quite dangerous!

Rural and quiet

• 78Eva's Profile Photo

There are a few snakes

by 78Eva Written May 13, 2004

This is really a small problem but I though I'd write about it anyway. While you are staying at the seaside in Thasos, you are not going to encounter snakes. On the roads, you sometimes see dead one (Greeks will run over them deliberately just to kill one).
    However, when you go hiking over rocks and grassland you might encounter a snake here and there. As far as I know there is only one poisonous kind of snake around (and several non-poisonous one), and even that poisonous one is not of the worst kind. You would just have to get to a doctor. You want to protect yourself simply by wearing ankle-high or higher hiking shoes, and maybe not shorts. And don't pick snakes up out of sheer interest.

• Skipka's Profile Photo

Depraving Elvis ...

by Skipka Written Jun 25, 2003

People listen! Especially girls and women who likes some adventures be careful on local "Depraving Elvis"... Me and Aurorae went to the beach on last day of our stay. She used to swim too long time and quite far away. I stayed on the beach and read a book. Suddenly, there appeared a man around 40 (maybe less or more) and wanted to communicate with me in English. Maybe he thought I am alone there and search for some adventure :) Honestly, such a type of man like this couldn't make a fire in my body :) nor in Alaska or Antarctide. Well, I told him I am not interested but he continued... and finally there appeared great idea. Aurorae wears quite big shoes (I sometimes call her Big Foot just to see her smile ...) so I told to Depraving Elvis that I am there with my boyfriend and showed him her shoes. He took a look on them and cleared off immediately. So, if you come to island just for a rest, try to take big shoes with you to avoid meeting with other Thassos' Depraving Elvises :)))

• AleksandraS's Profile Photo

Not an ordinary way

by AleksandraS Written Sep 21, 2004

I'll describe "the problem" sooner than soon, I promise.. I should get down to writing my tips this week, maybe the next..

Instant Answers: Thasos Island

Comments

Thasos Island Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Thasos Island warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Thasos Island sightseeing.

View all Thasos Island hotels