Map &

Rate it

Top Tours

Budapest Card
From EUR17.00
Private 4-Hour Tour of Budapest By Public Transport Including Danube River Cruise
From EUR100.00
Private Budapest City Tour by Car
From $210.00

Good value for money Tips (7)

Favorite thing
I was here in 1986 and this was still solidly behind the Iron Curtain. My group had already been through Yugoslavia and we didn’t expect things like good tasting beer and shops with FOOD in them. In fact they had great beer and the shops had wonderful sausages, cheeses and breads. We kept worrying the Communists might put a stop to this! On a trip that included (over 6+ week) the sights of the Soviet Union and East Germany – Hungary came completely out on top for food.

The only other vague memories I have of Budapest was that the only shops they did have were food shops, most building were derelict and the city tour guide kept pointing out bullet holes of from the 1956 uprising.

I still think Hungry was ahead of the curve on the collapse of Communism just a couple of years later.

By the way the photos were taken by my Mum in 2010.

DAO's Profile Photo
Aug 04, 2014

Hotel Four Seasons

Favorite thing Luxurious Art Nouveau Hotel in Gresham palace is one of the most beautiful hotels in Budapest.

The building was built in an Art Nouveau style during the early 1900s.
The site was designed by a local architect called Zsigmond Quittner for Gresham Life Assurance Company (a company from London that decided to open an office here).

This is one of the most luxurious hotels in Budapest , located just in the middle , close to the chain bridge (on Roosvelt square) and with a splendid view over Buda castle and the Danube.

There are 179 rooms in this hotel, the Price is most expensive!

Fondest memory Great view , Very luxurious

csordila's Profile Photo
Dec 06, 2011

Budapest Card

Favorite thing "The whole city in your pocket" is the motto of the Budapest Card, introduced by our office in 1997. The Card offers its holder more than a hundred services:

unlimited travel on public transport
free or discounted entry to 60 museums and to several sights
sightseeing tour for half price
reduced price tickets for cultural and folklore programmes
discounts in restaurants and spas
discount for car rental, sports facilities and in many other places
travel accident insurance

The services of the card are detailed in a 100-paged, coloured publication in Hungarian, English, German and Italian languages. This publication introduces the use of the Budapest Card and the servicing enterprises. (with photo, address, opening hours, entrance fees and discounts). Click on the picture to download the brochure in PDF format (6.9 MB).

for 48 or 72 hours

Price in 2008:

HUF 6 5000 for 48 hours
HUF 8 000 for 72 hours

Each Card is valid for one adult and one child up to 14 years of age.

More than 250 places in Budapest: main metro ticket offices, tourist information bureaus, travel agencies, hotels and the airport, and abroad at major tour operators.

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
Feb 25, 2008

Money Exchange

Favorite thing There are many exchange booths througout the city and I would recommend that if you do need to exchange money to use the exchange booths in the city rather than the ones in the airport. The exchange rate is so much better.

This exchange booth is conveniently located at Mihaly Vorosmarty Square.

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Baross ter 18, Budapest, 1077, Hungary
Nefelejcs u. 6, Budapest, 1078, Hungary
Fiumei ut 10,, Budapest, 1081, Hungary

20% off on a second boat tour with Duna Legenda

Favorite thing When you buy a boat tour with the Duna Legenda or Duna Bella boats, the ticket entitles you to a 20% discount on the next tour that you book with them, although not the same day and time printed on the ticket. I think this is good for those who want to enjoy Budapest by boat at day and at night.

marielexoteria's Profile Photo
Oct 17, 2007

Cheap beer

Fondest memory One Euro a pint :)

I'll have two more please!

Beer is incredibly good value in Budapest and we spent a good deal of the weekend trying out the local brew. One of my fondest memories was drinking beer and eating Langos at a festival in City Park. We had just spent a relaxing few hours in the Szechenyi Baths (also in the park) and afterwards we saw a festival in the park so we went for a quick visit - and ended up spending the evening there.

barryg23's Profile Photo
Nov 03, 2006

Good value for money.

Favorite thing We loved Budapest, it was such good value. Our 5 * hotel was a bargain ( Corinthia Grand Hotel Royal ) Every visit to a restaurant was a real treat and surprisingly cheap. Wine is very reasonably priced too. Every meal we had was delicious. My favourite was goose livers with mashed potatoes and peaches. Yum ! ! ! We can't wait to go back.

Fondest memory We loved the relaxing river trip on the Danube and wandering around the castle district.

Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo
Aug 12, 2004

Top 5 Budapest Writers

MedioLatino's Profile Photo

"Budapest - My dear hometown! :)"
1courage's Profile Photo

"Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city"
balhannah's Profile Photo

Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

"A fantastic town along the Danube River"
antistar's Profile Photo

Things To Do Near Budapest

Stamp Museum - Belyemuzeum

When ever we travel, we make it a point to always seek out the local post office. Most all places we have visited, we have come home with colorful stamps from the country we visited .... Great To...

Mucsarnok Hall of Art

The Kunsthalle is also known as the "Hall of Art," or "Palace of Art." I didn't want to visit this gallery of contemporary art, even though it displays the largest exhibition of sculptures and...

Terror Haza - Terror Museum

An iron curtain. It sits outside Andrássy út 60. That building was the headquarters of the Arrow Cross Party (the Hungarian version of the Nazi Party) until Germany invaded in 1944. It then became...

Great Synagogue - Central Synagogue

I visited this venerable synagogue in Budapest many years ago in the 1980s. Then, its grand interior was somewhat dilapidated. I can see from recent photographs (see attached picture) that this...

National Museum - Magyar Nemzeti Múzeum

I thought it was a rather small collection considering it is a national museum. Though it was fairly chronological it was a bit hard to follow since so little of the exhibition had any description in...

Holocaust Memorial - Raoul Wallenberg Memory Park

We are still at the Great Synagogue, now making my way to the back where the Raoul Wallenberg Memory Park is located. Here, I found some interesting pieces, the stand-out being the "TREE OF LIFE."...

Getting to Budapest

We don't yet have an address for this General. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this General. Help us improve our info!