map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Budapest Card
"Your Budapest Card includes the following features for either 24 48 or 72 hours depending on the option selected.""""Explore Budapest at your own pace and see the sights you want to see with the Budapest Card! Simply show your card for free or discounted entry to participating attractions plus use it for free public transport two walking tours
From EUR17.00

Full-Day Budapest Private Tour by Car or by Public Transport with Lunch
"Your day begins in the City Park (Városliget) which is one of the most exciting parts of Budapest. The City Park is not a natural but a man-made park it can almost be called an adventure park. Along the City Park lake take a walk towards Zoo Boulevard which has plenty of monuments in store. Here you will also find the Gundel Restaurant
From EUR75.00

Private 4-Hour Tour of Budapest By Public Transport Including Danube River Cruise
"You will be picked up from your hotel and then you will take the Millennium Underground line to reach Heroes' Square before taking a scenic urban bus along Andrássy Avenue and another one up to the Castle District. En-route you will see many of the main attractions of Budapest such as Deák Square the Chain Bridge the Royal Palace and so much more. Once you return to the Danube riverbank you will then take a ride on what was voted the 7th-most-beautiful-tram-line in the world to finally take a short trip on one of the most crowded ones. From these 2 trams the Parliament building the Elisabeth Bridge and the Liberty Bridge as well as the historical centre of Budapest. Your tour finishes with a boat cruise along the Danube to admire the city's beautiful skyline from the water."
From EUR100.00

Ruszwurm Cukraszda Tips (7)

Ruszwurm Confectionery: The Best Pastry Shop EVER

The first confectionary at this site opened in 1827 by Ferenc Schwabl. It has always been inherited along the female line, oddly, and named after Vilmos Ruszworm who managed the business from 1884 to 1922. The furnishings of this remarkably small operation reflect the 19th Century origins with a cherry wood counter with a mahogany inlay and ornate furniture. Glass cabinets in the entry foyer contain old table ornaments and figurines well worth a glance. The dining area is crowded but comfortable with the replicas of the original. We found the service to be harried, but warm and accomodating (contrast Gerbeaud).

The pastries may well be the very best we have ever enjoyed. Flavorful but not overly sweet, textured but not heavy, perfect. And great coffee. We cannot recommend a stop here strongly enough.

The Szamos family which now owns Ruszworm also owns the Marzipam Museum and Store in Szentendre, which we also visited (that tip features a few remarkable creations).

Favorite Dish We ordered a cheese strudel and a remarkable chocolate cake with a cream and fruit filling. The young waitress took the time to walk to the display cabinet with me and make recommendations despite the crowds. And we were not hurried in any way. The products here are so good that the young couple next to us, unmindful of cholesterol, finished their first order and then had another. The coffee was great, the prices reasonable (very).

nicolaitan's Profile Photo
nicolaitan
Nov 19, 2006

Ruszwurm: Yummie!

Being an absolute sweettooth (I eat an eclair on a regular basis) I just had to go and try this famous place out. It's quite charming, although I would've loved to go there 100 years ago when there were less tourists around :-)

I ate a Ruszwurm Cream Pastry and it was delicious: the right taste ànd really refreshening. The prices were a lot lower than I had expected: most cakes came at about 350 or 400 forint, which is a lot cheaper than in Belgium.

So if you pass there and you see a free table, just take it.

Museeuw's Profile Photo
Museeuw
Sep 08, 2007

Ruszwurm: Ruszwurm Cukraszda (Confectionery)

Following the advise of my VT friend Lew we stopped at this small pastry shop and didn’t regret it. This confectionery is really old dating from 1827! It was named after Vilmos Ruszworm that managed it from 1884 to 1922. In our days it still offers only its own made cakes but belongs to Szamos family that has the popular Marzipam museum in Szentendre.

We loved the old furniture inside (they still have the cherrywooden counter from that era!!) and hopefully there was a free table to feel comfortable and enjoy the pastries but you can also choose a table outside and watch the people passing by.

The waitress came and seemed stressed but we needed some time to decide what to choose, the menu was full of ideas but I got up and went to the display cabinet but of course I wanted to try them all. We finally ordered coffee, a kirsch torta and a citrom torta, both of them were great. Each one costs about 550Huf

mindcrime's Profile Photo
mindcrime
Dec 16, 2012

Ruszwurm Cukraszda: your coffeestop in castle district

If you want to take a break while exploring the castle district, this is the place. good coffee and pastries, and so is the service.
(Though it irked me that i had to pay to use their restrooom, but i guess that may be the custom in some place in budapest)

caffelatte's Profile Photo

Baross ter 18, Budapest, 1077, Hungary
Nefelejcs u. 6, Budapest, 1078, Hungary
Fiumei ut 10,, Budapest, 1081, Hungary

Ruszwurm: Fantastic cakes

A name that appears in various guidebooks and recommendations from people, I was looking forward to visiting this cafe. Was very busy on my first pass-by and I waited until later in the afternoon to try again. There was a large amount of choice, and being the greedy person I was, I opted for cherry strudel and their ruszwurm cake which was some sort of chocolate and nut cake. Both fantastic and well recommended.

Favorite Dish Sour Cherry Strudel, with some english tea. Unbelievably good.

andysum's Profile Photo
andysum
May 09, 2008

Ruszwurm Cukraszda: Excellent Cukraszda

One of my favorite places to go! I highly recommend the chestnut puree. Absolutely wonderful and less expensive than most other places around. Coffee is great also. It's crowded a lot so you might not get a chance to sit down immediately but well worth the wait. The staff is very friendly and they are quick to bring you your order.

RPD3435
Nov 13, 2011

Ruszwurm Cukraszda: An Old Confectionary

Ruszwurm, which was started in 1827, is a beautiful, old Hungarian confectionary on Castle Hill in Budapest. As you walk through the entrance, you will feel as if you are going back in time. The elegant furniture dates from the mid-1800s. In addition to cakes, the wooden cases are filled with various items from Ruszwurm’s past including cake toppers that are a century old. Vintage pictures and photographs line the walls. The shop itself is kind of small and in a touristy area, which can be aggravating if you’re there on the weekend or when a tour group shows up. On the other hand, this pastry shop offers many sweets that I haven’t seen anywhere else in Budapest. Every Budapest cukraszda sells Dobos and Eszerhazy cakes (including Ruszwurm), but no one else can make an almond cake like Ruszwurm can. Almond cake and almond cream are layered with gooey caramel and topped with sliced, toasted almonds. Ruszwurm’s “Vienna strudel” is also excellent. Buttery, flaky pastry is filled with apples, raisins, and vanilla pudding. Another option is the delicious chocolate caramel cake. Overall, the service here is fast, good, and friendly. If you decide to come here, I would recommend coming on a weekday because it can be really crowded sometimes. Even if it’s crowded, I would still come here and wait just to eat the almond cake!

Favorite Dish The almond cake is the best!!!!!!

hungariangirl896's Profile Photo
hungariangirl896
Aug 06, 2013

Top 5 Budapest Writers

MedioLatino's Profile Photo

MedioLatino

"Budapest - My dear hometown! :)"
1courage's Profile Photo

1courage

"Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city"
balhannah's Profile Photo

balhannah

"BIG, BUSTLING, BEAUTIFUL, BUDAPEST!"
Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

Cristian_Uluru

"A fantastic town along the Danube River"
antistar's Profile Photo

antistar

"Budapest"

Things to Do Near Budapest

Stamp Museum - Belyemuzeum

When ever we travel, we make it a point to always seek out the local post office. Most all places we have visited, we have come home with colorful stamps from the country we visited .... Great To...

Mucsarnok Hall of Art

The Kunsthalle is also known as the "Hall of Art," or "Palace of Art." I didn't want to visit this gallery of contemporary art, even though it displays the largest exhibition of sculptures and...

Terror Haza - Terror Museum

An iron curtain. It sits outside Andrássy út 60. That building was the headquarters of the Arrow Cross Party (the Hungarian version of the Nazi Party) until Germany invaded in 1944. It then became...

Great Synagogue - Central Synagogue

I visited this venerable synagogue in Budapest many years ago in the 1980s. Then, its grand interior was somewhat dilapidated. I can see from recent photographs (see attached picture) that this...

National Museum - Magyar Nemzeti Múzeum

I thought it was a rather small collection considering it is a national museum. Though it was fairly chronological it was a bit hard to follow since so little of the exhibition had any description in...

Holocaust Memorial - Raoul Wallenberg Memory Park

We are still at the Great Synagogue, now making my way to the back where the Raoul Wallenberg Memory Park is located. Here, I found some interesting pieces, the stand-out being the "TREE OF LIFE."...

Getting to Budapest

Address

Szentharomsag ter 7.

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!

Map