Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Dublin Pass Including Free Entry to Over 30 Attractions
"Select a 1- 2- 3- 5- or 6-day Dublin Pass when you book. Then collect your pass from the redemption point in central Dublin or Dublin Airport.Your pass is valid for your choice of consecutive calendar days and offers free access to more than 30 top Dublin visitor attractions including skip-the-line entry to select landmarks as well as host of other privileges and special offers. Among other benefits
From EUR48.00

Wild Wicklow Tour including Glendalough from Dublin
"The beautiful coastal drive from Dublin to Glendalough takes you past Dun Laoghaire Harbor Dalkey and Killiney. These exclusive suburbs on the out reaches of Dublin are home to Ireland's rich and famous including U2's Bono Enya and film director Neil Jordan. Then driving through the Wicklow Mountains you'll soon understand why this area is known as 'the Garden of Ireland’.You'll continue on to the green mountains of Wicklow County where you'll stop for morning tea (additional cost) at Avoca Handweavers. The oldest wool mill in Ireland Avoca Handweavers is a great place to shop for high-quality Irish crafts.The next stop on your Wicklow tour in Glendalough
From EUR28.00

The 1916 Dublin Tour - Beyond Barricades
"From the moment guests arrive at the first stop they are thrown into the midst of Easter 1916 as prominent Irish republican Helena Moloney who fought front and centre during the rebellion guides them onto the bus in the midst of the sounds of gunfire and commotion. Thus begins a thought-provoking and interactive 90 minute tour taking in some of the most prominent scenes of Easter Monday 1916 and its direct aftermath including City Hall Dublin Castle St. Stephen’s Green
From EUR25.00

Live Music Tips (27)

Arlington: Live music

It was nice, the couple of hours spent in this large bar, listening to popular music and seeing folk dancing, in the company of a Guinness. Not expensive, maybe a little... touristy, but it was exactly what we had in mind when we decided to enter.

solopes's Profile Photo
solopes
Apr 09, 2016

The Porterhouse Temple Bar: Live Music and No Guinness!

Tina had raved about this place since her previous visit to Dublin, so it was no surprise that we ended our evening in this Temple Bar hostelery.

By the time that we got there it was pretty crowded, and there were no seats to be found in this 3 storeyed venue, so we found a corner to stand in, with a view of the small raised stage, where the next act was preparing to play.
Now, I usually enjoy a pint (or 2) of Guinness, especially in Dublin, but here it is certainly a big No No to ask for this here. We'd just enjoyed a quite filling meal, so Instead of choosing from their selection of Porters, I opted for a bitter. Apparently you can order a 'Tasting Tray'

Porter originated in London during the 18th Century. A strong brown beer made from hops and brown malt, that fortified the street and river porters of the city, giving it it's name.
The Porterhouse Temple Bar opened in 1996, and was Irelands first Pub Brewery, throwing down the gauntlet to Dublins Well known breweries! They offer A wide selection of locally brewed and world renowned beers, pub grub and Live Music seven days a week.

Well this was a lively, friendly place, with a real mix of clientele - a good people watching spot - Not just tourists (though there was a definate mix of languages and accents) - student groups, families, groups of friends of all ages and a smattering of locals.

We enjoyed the atmosphere and music, but ended up leaving early (for us) - having been up since 0300 to catch our flight, and having to be up in a few hours to catch our return flight home.
All in All a good end to our 24 hours in Dublin!

Opening Hours
Monday-Thursday 10:30 - 23:30
Friday-Saturday 10:30 - 00:30
Sunday 12:00 - 23:00
Free WIFI
NOT wheelchair accessible

Dress Code Come as you are! Mainly casual attire, though one or two sported the latest fashions.

I'd not want to wear my best stuff in here as the chances of getting a drink splashed on you are fairly high - nor would I feel comfortable in high heels, as unless you get here early, you'll be standing for quite a time.

suvanki's Profile Photo
suvanki
Oct 26, 2012

Live Music: Some Live Music in Dublin

Hi there

if you want up and coming bands then try

for jazz and blues

or for some traditional Irish music

Hopefully not too late for you

Gerard_mm's Profile Photo
Gerard_mm
Dec 13, 2011

Bruxelles: Check out who's supped or played here!

Every time I visit Dublin, I visit Harry Street at least once, to 'pay homage' to the statue of Phil Lynott that stands outside Bruxelles bar/Restaurant. I'd hardly given Bruxelles a second glance, judging from the well heeled clientele, that this was a pricey Belgian themed restaurant/bar specialising in Moules and frites and with a selection of Belgian beers.
Hmmmm, how wrong was I! I can't believe that Bruxelles hadn't registered with me as having played such a huge part in the birth of the Irish music scene. To Skid Row, then Thin Lizzy, this became their second home around the late 1960's-early 1970's.

The Zodiac Bar (named because of the astrological tiles in this underground bar), was the 2 roomed bar in the basement of The Grafton Mooney (1886 to 1973), changing its name to Bruxelles in 1974, when Ireland joined the European Economic Community (EEC), whose HQ was in Brussels (Bruxelles).

By 1974, Thin Lizzy had become successful enough to re-locate to further their international career in London, they had made Ireland and Irish music Cool, and in doing so, inspired others to take up their instruments, or have their songs heard.
Rock acts from England, Europe and the USA came to Dublin and played in the basement, which was extended and named Flanders.
There have been some notorious 'jamming sessions' and the list of who's supped or played here reads like a Who's Who from the Rock and Pop artistes of the 20th/21st Century
CLICK HERE for the History of Bruxelles and Who's been spotted here Yes, Bruce Springsteen is one of the many!!!

Our visit was a quick decision, as it was starting to rain quite heavily, we were heading to Bewleys, but Bruxelles was nearer. We thought that it was closed at first as no one was seated outside. Well, it was a Monday, early afternoon.

We ordered a pot of tea and were told that there were seats in 'The Snug' - a small offshoot room at the end of the bar. (Until the 1960's pubs were strictly male only venues, where 'nice ladies didn't venture' The snug was a place where women could sit 'hidden' from view and enjoy a drink in private). The Zodiac bar was quite forward thinking in Ireland, encouraging females to enjoy a drink in comfortable surroundings.

While I was waiting for my tea, I noticed a framed article entitled A Statue for Philo...An interview between the artist Paul Daly and Dermott Hayes I took a photograph, so that I could re-read this later, but there was too much reflection - So this is the link.
The last sentence caught my eye- a bronze maquette of Phil on one of the shelves of the bar???
Well it took me a while to spot it (pic 4) and it's a bit blurred, as there were people drinking at the bar, so I had to snatch a quick shot.

The toilets are downstairs, so I thought that this would be a chance to glimpse the famed basement bar. Nope- the doors were all closed. Well next time I'm in Dublin, I might get to hear some live music.

So, Bruxelles..... The pot of tea was fairly average - Well it was 2 pots of tea - we asked for a pot of tea for two, but were given 2 pots. The female who served us was probably the least friendly and welcoming that we had encountered during our weekend break, and it was quite off putting to have one of the young bar staff, who was obviously trying to look as if he was busy, put his head into our room, every 5 minutes or so, looking to see if he could clear our pots away. I'm afraid there was very little customer service here. Now this doesn't usually bother me too much - being used to indifferent waiters/waitresses/bar staff/ shop staff back home, who see customers as an inconvenience, and anyone over 30 as invisible; but the service we'd had at other bars, cafes etc this weekend had been noticibly good, so this stood out as unusual.

I wasn't sure whether to put this under Restaurant tips, as it wasn't night time, and I didn't actually hear any live music, but it is a pub that can be visited Day and Night (as most pubs/bars in Europe are)

Dress Code Don't think there was a dress code - at Lunch time, there was a mix of clientele, wearing business attire to casual

suvanki's Profile Photo

99-100 Baggot Street Lower, , Dublin, County Dubli
31 Leeson Close, Lower Leeson Street, Dublin, County Dublin, 2, Ireland
8-10 Waterloo Road, Dublin, 4, Ireland

Dublin City: Different types of Live Irish Music

There are different types of Live Irish Music available in Dublin City.

You have you're traditional irish music "sessiuns". These are rare to find in Dublin especially in Temple Bar. If you are looking for the real deal then visit one of these three pubs. The Cobblestone in Smithfield, The Palace Bar on Fleet Street or O'Donoghue's on Merrion Row. A sessiun usually involves only the use of musical instruments. No singing as such. This is a link to a trad sessiun or session in the cobblestone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EIoVXg7GyE

Then you have what you'll see advertised as 'Live Music' on the way into pubs. And you'll find it especially in Temple Bar. This usually involves the singing of songs such as 'whiskey in the jarro' or anything by the 'Dubliners'. All good songs and good music and worth a listen to but for me a trad sessiun is what you want to be going along to see.

Under the 'Live Music' bracket you'll also get songs by U2 or even Bon Jovi. This can be fun too and they're classic songs but if you're visiting Ireland and want to get a flavour of the culture only spend a small amount of time listening to this stuff.

As an Irish man I would recommend a trad session for the best experience of irish music in a pub. Any one of the above pubs as i mentioned will get you that. These pubs are run by lovely people too that care about their pubs and about you're experience.

Dress Code Casual.

EoinLucey's Profile Photo
EoinLucey
Aug 01, 2011

The Merry Ploughboy Pub: The Merry Ploughboys Traditional Nights

The Merry Ploughboys are a Dublin based traditional Irish ballad band. They have been playing together since 1989. I know they lads well at this stage, so I'll be objective as I can! They own and run the Merry Ploughboy Pub and play there almost every night of the year. They sing the full range of Irish ballads, varying from the sentimental songs of emigration to rousing drinking numbers and even the occasional rebel song! There is a full dinner option at the show and also a great Irish Dancing interval performance. Anytime I have visitors, business or personal, this is where I bring them. Enjoy!

Dress Code casual

TrueBlue101
Mar 28, 2008

Live Music: Hangin with the cool kids

One of the better bars in dublin, and it has more than its fair share, where you'll meet
interesting people, free live music every night. Late license, always packed and with a good selection of drinks not to mention all the simpson posters on the walls to give you a giggle.

seriously though if you want to see what the locals do rather than the touristic 'diddily ei di di'
that you will come accross it is oneof the better bars in dublin. Live Acoustic or alternative music, a fun bar staff and locals and in city center but positioned so you have to know to look for it. i recommend "Sin E" in english it means thats it and that is it its just a cool bar.

Dress Code not too messy

stevefrancyclancy's Profile Photo
stevefrancyclancy
Jan 09, 2008

Live Irish Music, comedy and food: Food, Music and interntainment

Doyle's Irish Cabaret has a huge dinner theatre right inside the Burlington Hotel in Dublin, Ireland. The food was wonderful, followed by dessert, Fitzwilliams Chantily (a custard with sweet whiskey sauce on top) and the ever popular Irish coffee.

The river dancers sang and played Irish folk tunes, which truly bring a tear to your eye or joy to your heart. It was all very well done with a quaint irish home backdrop. The comedian, Noal McVentty, was hilarious and charming with his Irish brogue.

halloweengirl's Profile Photo
halloweengirl
Jul 29, 2007
IrishFem's Profile Photo

IrishFem

"Ultra Trendy Capital City"
davidjo's Profile Photo

davidjo

"AT LAST I MADE IT TO DUBLIN"
acemj's Profile Photo

acemj

"Dublin"
sourbugger's Profile Photo

sourbugger

"Great place - but not the real Ireland"

Mariajoy

"Dublin - The Windy City!!"

Live Music: Traditional Irish Music Pub craw tour

Any hotel in Dublin can hook you up with the "Traditional Irish Music Pub Craw tour" ... book ahead in the summer.

It's an excellent evening out with friends, listening to and learning about Irish music live while downing Guiness in great old pubs. If you can sing and play the guitar, they'll give you a chance to show your stuff.

Dress Code casual

bdines's Profile Photo
bdines
Nov 03, 2006

O'Shae: Tradition at O' Shae Irish pub

Very nice pub with traditional music. A group of 6 (older) people were making music and the were really enjoying it. It's nice to see people having so much fun in what they do. Visitors from the pub were also allowed to get on stage and sing a song. People of all ages visit this bar.

Dress Code Dress whatever you like. That's nice about this bar. Just be yourself and dress what makes you comfortable. I saw people in T-shirts, sweaters, but also with suit and tie.

Roggeveen's Profile Photo
Roggeveen
Nov 23, 2005

The Arlington: Live Irish music & cheesy pop

This place is fantastic downstairs was Irish folk music with traditional Irish dancing & upstairs the bar played cheesy pop. Some people were drinking some were dancing & some were just watching.

We had a good time upstairs with a good mix of ages, locals & tourists.

At 1am a nightclub opens downstairs entry costs Euro 6 but entry into the bar & downstairs before 1am is FREE

Dress Code anything goes

jo104's Profile Photo
jo104
Sep 29, 2005

Voodoo Lounge: The Voodoo who do what you don't dare do people...

Very popular place with two floors. The club is narrow, but has a huge bar on the ground floor and a mini bar on the 1st floor.

The music seems to be rock related. We went to see "Juliette and the Licks", whos music touches Rock, Dance, and Punk, so do not expect any boy bands here "Yipee!!!"

Most of the seating is upstairs, but there are some seats along the edge and back of downstairs.

There appears to be a dance floor/standing area near the tage, but expect this to get packed.

The price of beer is about average.

Great atmosphere - and not a "You gave me a dirty look" in sight :O)

Also, not a wiff of smoke to be smelt... Mmmmmmmm snoke free :o)

Dress Code None - but I don't think it will go down well if you are naked :o/

DemonTraitor's Profile Photo
DemonTraitor
Feb 28, 2005

Things to Do Near Dublin

Number 29

Do you want to see a tipycal georgian house and know how a family lived in the XVIII century? Then come to Merrion Square, and in one corner you can visit the number 29. You have to enter through the...

Government Buildings

I came a cross this majestic building to find the gate closed and guarded. A sign in Gaelic "Tithe an Rialtais" and in English "Government Buildings," was on the gate with information about tours you...

Wild Wicklow Tours

If you don't have much time, and want to discover a little bit of Irish countryside I recommand you to take the "Wild Wicklow Tour". You can book it at the Tourism office or from your hotel. They have...

Iveagh Gardens

In 1862, Benjamin Guinness bought Nos. 80-81 St. Stephen's Green and combined the two houses, turning them into the stately mansion that is Iveagh House today. It is now home to the Department of...

Merrion Square

Notice how this house is five windows wide! It would have been very prestigious indeed. There was a clear social hierarchy based upon how many "bays" your house possessed. Pity those whose Georgian...

St. Stephen's Green

Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa was born in 1831 in a small village in County Cork. In 1856 he formed the "Phoenix National Literary Society," a secret society whose aim was Irish independence from...

Getting to Dublin

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Nightlife. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Nightlife. Help us improve our info!

Map