Map &

From EUR28.00
Dublin City Highlights Bike Tour
From EUR25.00

Killiney Tips (11)

The day I was in Dublin for the rugby cup final (see sports tip) I had 4-5 hours to amuse myself between arrival in the city and the time to head for the game.
I decided to take the DART out as far as Killiney (pronounced Kil-line-ey) and walk back to Dalkey.
Great idea. The beach is superb - shingle as opposed to sand, but beautiful. My walk took my up over Killiney Hill, with fantastic views back down to the beach.
Fresh sea air. Sunshine. Exercise. Perfect way to escape the typical city centre Saturday afternoon scene.
You’ll find a great wee cafe in the station. Their double espresso & chocolatine perked me up no end.
Look for my Dalkey tip for the other half of the jaunt.

iaint's Profile Photo
Jun 06, 2014

Killiney Hill Park

Dalkey and Killiney are two suburban areas in South Dublin.
Between Dalkey and Killiney Dart Station lies Dalkey Hill, Victoria Hill and Killiney Hill Park.

From Dalkey Station walk cunnigham road and dalkey avenue up the hill until you see the entrance paths to Dalkey Hill.

The parks features a few benches, an obelisk (Mount Mapas Obelisk), a small pyramide and some other stones. You have a view to Killiney Bay, Bray and Dublin.

Alternatively of taking the Dart of you can take bus 59 from Dublin to Killiney.

matjung's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2011

Killiney is a seaside suburb situated almost 10 km south of Dublin. To buy a house here is very expensive, but I’m not surprised as the location is great.

Before going to Dublin I was advised by a Dubliner I met in Stockholm to visit Killiney for a walk on the beach and to go up to Killiney Hill to admire the view. I watched the weather forecast and visited Killiney on my first day in Dublin, as it was going to be the sunniest day. It is a lovely place and I would definitely return here another time when I visit Ireland.

I went for a walk on the beach and not living close to the sea I was enjoying every minute of it, to hear the sound of the sea, and smell the sea. Looking down at the pebbles on the beach you can find pebbles of many different colours, and some shells.

From the beach you can see the obelisk on top of Killiney Hill. The hill is 153 metres high. Walk up there and you will have an amazing view over Sorrento Bay and the Wicklow mountains in the distance. In another direction you will see Dalkey Island.
Killiney Hill is together with Dalkey Hill part of Killiney Hill Park. The area is crossed by many walking tracks where you can go for nice walks. I walked from Killiney Hill to Dalkey. It is not difficult to find your way but I asked twice to be absolutely sure how to find the right road down to the main street of Dalkey. You can also walk down to Vico Road and follow that road to Dalkey.

MalenaN's Profile Photo
Jun 05, 2007

Ever since I was there, I was trying to get back to the spot were this pic was taken. Thats how much I liked it. I wonder if many people know about that spot, it looked "empty" when I was there and I think it wouldn't be as nice if there was many people.

anatlc's Profile Photo

99-100 Baggot Street Lower, , Dublin, County Dubli
31 Leeson Close, Lower Leeson Street, Dublin, County Dublin, 2, Ireland
8-10 Waterloo Road, Dublin, 4, Ireland

A strange kind of beach

A short train journey south from Dublin on the DART took us to Killiney beach. It was mostly deserted (well it was February!) apart from some dog walkers and joggers. The thing I found most odd about this beach was the lack of birds... and shells....there were no shells.

There was a derelict tea room which must have been nice once and it looked as though someone had set up camp on the ruined terrace area.

The other thing about this beach is that there is only one way out.... when you get to the end you have to turn round and come back again.

There was also a sign warning people not to be near the waters edge when the ferry boat comes in as it causes big waves... and this happens regularly in the summer so I guess it's not a safe place for families with young children.

Feb 26, 2005

enjoy the wonderful view

have a little walk here,go to the top and enjoy the stunning view that will space from dublin city to wicklow mountains,the coastline and villages like bray o dalkey.don t miss it,not easy to reach but has to be seen

renatob's Profile Photo
Jan 17, 2005

Is this really in Dublin ? Your kidding...

The coastal area south of Dublin is where all the serious money moves to in this neck of the woods.

If you can ignore the rain, then it's not too difficult to compare Killiney Bay to the Bay of Naples.

The houses have that bright mediterranan wash to them, whilst the semi-tropical plants thrive in the more sheltered coves.

Use the DART, until you see an area (like Dalkey) and go for a wander. You can always walk back to the station, or wander onto the next one - which is unlkely to be more than a couple of miles at most.

sourbugger's Profile Photo
Mar 15, 2004

Dalkey & Killiney Hill

Here is a picture of Dublin bay taken from the top of Killiney Hill in South County Dublin last autumn. Killiney is on the Dart line in South County Dublin. Dalkey is the neighbouring village/suburb and its very "well-to-do" ... lots of famous people live there like Bono & Neil Jordan. You can look at Dalkey Castle which is on the main street of the village. It's more of a turret than a castle, but its well-preserved all the same.

orlikins's Profile Photo
Nov 25, 2003
IrishFem's Profile Photo

"Ultra Trendy Capital City"
davidjo's Profile Photo

acemj's Profile Photo

sourbugger's Profile Photo

"Great place - but not the real Ireland"
View Member

"Dublin - The Windy City!!"
View Member

Killiney is a quiet and posh seaside suburb southeast of Dublin. Apart from having the most spectacular coastline in the city, there are awesome mansions to admire. You just might spot a celebrity here! Take the DART from the city centre to get there and do the 45-minute cliffwalk to Dalkey. You'll be astounded by the lush gardens, that grand houses and the amazing views from Sorrento point! See the travelogue for more pics.

tvdm's Profile Photo
Mar 16, 2003

Watch out for the Car Ferry!

This was the sign I spotted on the tunnel approach wall on Killiney beach... Look out for the car ferry making big waves on the beach!

Feb 26, 2005

Killiney Hill

From Killiney Hill you have a lovely view over Dublin Bay. Take the DART to Dalkey and walk from there. My boyfriend met Bono here last weekend so it's true - the celebrities do live here ;)

Aug 24, 2002

Things To Do Near Dublin

Number 29

Do you want to see a tipycal georgian house and know how a family lived in the XVIII century? Then come to Merrion Square, and in one corner you can visit the number 29. You have to enter through the...

Government Buildings

You will find this interesting sculpture outside Tyrone House where the department of Education and Skills is located. It is called the Wishing Hand and the sculptor was Irish Lady, Linda Brunker and...

Wild Wicklow Tours

If you don't have much time, and want to discover a little bit of Irish countryside I recommand you to take the "Wild Wicklow Tour". You can book it at the Tourism office or from your hotel. They have...

Iveagh Gardens

In 1862, Benjamin Guinness bought Nos. 80-81 St. Stephen's Green and combined the two houses, turning them into the stately mansion that is Iveagh House today. It is now home to the Department of...

Merrion Square

The National Memorial to Members of the Defence Forces Who Have Died in Service (2008) is situated in the east side of Merrion square Park and it is rather an attractive memorial, being a glass and...

St. Stephen's Green

On our last day in Dublin, I couldn't pass up my last chance to see St. Stephen's Green Park. Though it was already early evening, the light was still bright enough for a walk. My husband had little...

Getting to Dublin

We don't yet have an address for this Off The Beaten Path. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Off The Beaten Path. Help us improve our info!