Custom House was built to house the cities tax commissioners. The 18th century building has a copper dome set with faces and neoclassical coloums. Today it houses the Department of the Enviroment. A Visitor centre gives you the history of the building.
Open from Mon - Fri 10am to 12.30
Sat - Sun from 2pm to 5pm
Winter times are slightly different.
The Custom House stands on the banks of the River Liffey in Dublin, Republic of Ireland. Built by James Gandon in 1781-1791, it extends for over 114 meters and it's attic storey is adorned with statues with allegorical themes, for example Navigation, Industry and Wealth. The building burned for five days after being set alight by Republicans in 1921 in an attempt to disable British administration It was throroughly restored, however, and now houses government offices.
One of three buildings in the city designed by the architect James Gandon. This one is situated on the banks of the Liffey and dominates the view eastwards when its all lit up at night
Check out the Custom House.
The Custom House is a fine example of Georgian building. It was destroyed during the war of Independence in 1921. It was designed by James Gandon.