Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Dublin Pass Including Free Entry to Over 30 Attractions
"Select a 1- 2- 3- 5- or 6-day Dublin Pass when you book. Then collect your pass from the redemption point in central Dublin or Dublin Airport.Your pass is valid for your choice of consecutive calendar days and offers free access to more than 30 top Dublin visitor attractions including skip-the-line entry to select landmarks as well as host of other privileges and special offers. Among other benefits
From EUR48.00

Wild Wicklow Tour including Glendalough from Dublin
"The beautiful coastal drive from Dublin to Glendalough takes you past Dun Laoghaire Harbor Dalkey and Killiney. These exclusive suburbs on the out reaches of Dublin are home to Ireland's rich and famous including U2's Bono Enya and film director Neil Jordan. Then driving through the Wicklow Mountains you'll soon understand why this area is known as 'the Garden of Ireland’.You'll continue on to the green mountains of Wicklow County where you'll stop for morning tea (additional cost) at Avoca Handweavers. The oldest wool mill in Ireland Avoca Handweavers is a great place to shop for high-quality Irish crafts.The next stop on your Wicklow tour in Glendalough
From EUR28.00

The 1916 Dublin Tour - Beyond Barricades
"From the moment guests arrive at the first stop they are thrown into the midst of Easter 1916 as prominent Irish republican Helena Moloney who fought front and centre during the rebellion guides them onto the bus in the midst of the sounds of gunfire and commotion. Thus begins a thought-provoking and interactive 90 minute tour taking in some of the most prominent scenes of Easter Monday 1916 and its direct aftermath including City Hall Dublin Castle St. Stephen’s Green
From EUR25.00

Transport Tips (7)

Dublin Pass

you would never think that the tourism office in an airport can be a trap but they can be. Dublins tourism office in the international airport offers 'Dublin passes' to unexpecting folks like me and as well as my parents. The card intially sounds good - 30 euros and it includes entry to all the major sites and free transport to the city. (excluding book of kells and the college). What they dont tell you is that most of Dublins museums are free and the pass is a waste of money. You only have two to three days to use it. I was frustrated to find out that 80% of the museums were free and I felt like I had been ripped off. Take my advice and dont buy it!

Fun Alternatives Yes Dont buy it! Find your own transport and walk the city, the city is lovely in the summer.

JohnniOmani's Profile Photo
JohnniOmani
Jan 18, 2007

traffic light - please turn green!

Waiting for the a green traffic light as a pedestrian in Dublin can be tricky. If you see people moving forward -make sure that you can really follow their steps! Since waiting for the light to change to green can take ages, people take the risk and just walk -without waiting.
So, if you see no cars coming, trust me: you can roll. Just be extra careful, since a lot of cars can appear on the road out of the blue.

I actually saw an English lady trying to wait patiently near the Herbert Park for the lights to change. After 10 minutes of pushing the bloody button, she came up to me and asked if the lights are broken. Well... obviously, they weren't. It's just one of those things in Dublin (right after the buses) that you have to wait basically... until the end of the World.

Unique Suggestions Check if nothings coming and RUN, or you can walk, just mind the buses.

Fun Alternatives Buy a soda and camp out on the pavement, I'm sure the light will change green at some point!

lbhspatriot's Profile Photo
lbhspatriot
Feb 08, 2008

Day tours in winter months - confirmation needed.

Just a little advice to anyone thinking of taking a tour with "Day Tours Unplugged" during the low tourist season (late autumn to early spring). There is a high probability that your tour will not operate if numbers are small and your booking may be transferred to another company operating a tour on the same day. The problem occurs when there is a communication breakdown and you are not collected by the tour bus therefore missing the tour completely.

Unique Suggestions It would be a good idea to contact your tour company to confirm that the tour is operating and the name of the alternative operator, bus colour, type etc.

swissfondue's Profile Photo
swissfondue
Feb 07, 2008

Airlink buses

To travel between Dublin airport and the city centre, there is a direct bus service called Airlink and there are also regular city bus services to various destinations in the centre.
But the fare for the regular bus is only one third of the fare for the Airlink bus. As the traffic is always jamming in Dublin the time for the trip is almost the same and the regular buses are not as packed as the Airlink buses.
Conclusion: When you are on holiday take the regular bus service (see photo).

HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

24 Lower Leeson Street, , Dublin, County Dublin 2
99-100 Baggot Street Lower, , Dublin, County Dubli
31 Leeson Close, Lower Leeson Street, Dublin, County Dublin, 2, Ireland
8-10 Waterloo Road, Dublin, 4, Ireland

Ask a local what the taxi rate...

Ask a local what the taxi rate should be to an intended location. Most taxi drivers are very honest and helpful but, there are always those that are hoping to make a quicker/easier buck at the expense of the unknowing tourist! Don't be afraid to ask a shopkeeper, just an average Joe on the street or a transportation official the 'going rate' if you MUST use a taxi. For the most part, train and bus (if not using rental car) will get you everywhere you need to go easily!

lorino's Profile Photo
lorino
Aug 24, 2002

Waterside House Hotel- worst trip ever

The last thing you want when you go on holiday is to be stuck at the airport ot stuck at a remote hotel trying to get around the city in order to sight-see (or even trying to get back to the airport to go home). Yet if you stay at this hotel this is what you can expect to occur.

The falsely advertised free aiport transfers does not exist-like us you will probably be left stranded at the aiport waiting to be picked up. It was a terrible start to our holiday. This occurred despite the (false) advertising of free shuttle transfers and despite my calling ahead (four days prior to arrival) and then calling ahead AGAIN an hour before we arrived. I was reassured on both occasions we would be picked up by the hotel and we werent. A lovely staff member was kind enough to put us in a nicer room to make up, which was appreciated, but the transport problems got worse.

On departure, again we tried to book the "free airport transfer" service but were told no as the manager couldnt be bothered to get to the hotel early enough to take us. We ended up being charged £24 for a taxi back to the airport. This inflated cost was astounding: we couldnt believe what a rip off the taxis were.

Although i pointed out to to the hotel that free transfers was advertised, the manager refused to honour this and is continuing to falsely advertise a service which will never materialise.

Also the hotel is actually located 30 mins walking distance from a main road. With no other options - the hotel offers nothing even if it says it will, dont believe them, we experienced it ourselves- you will either have to walk or pay £10 (unbelievable cost) just to get a taxi to the main road. I dont recommend this hotel for the elderly or the budget traveller as this downside to this accomodation will outwieght the postives. I also couldnt recommend this hotel for families or young couples.

A very remote hotel, you will need to hire a car from the very start of your trip as, despite advertising airport transfers, there are none provided and taxis are very expensive- £22-£26 (more in dollars) to get to the hotel from the airport. The hotel itself may appear ok price-wise to book but the transportation costs is phenomenal as the hotel is so remote- its in a tiny village and 30mins walk from main road.

Our holiday was ruined and Im disappointed that this was due partly to my thoroughly checking reviews before we went- and not reading anything that warned what a terrible place it is to stay in. I came back from my trip exhausted, feeling annoyed and frustrated with the management and seriously out of pocket.

We suffered other issues with the hotel: poor service and being to wait at an empty reception on numerous occasions; room key cards failing to work 5 times, (some but not all) rude staff, very noisy cleaning staff who disrupted our sleep as they were shouting in the hallway, being accused of not paying our bill when we had settled it while we checked in, being treated overly, very poorly but some staff.

Unique Suggestions The only positive points were a couple of staff, including bar staff and one reception staff, being very helpful and respectful. It astounds me that any guest could be treated this way- particularly professionals who were spoken to as if they were idiots.

Fun Alternatives Not recommended, try Travelodge in Swords instead- better transport links, cheaper, and cleaner, and best of all nice staff all round. If you want a city break and want to see Dublin and its famous sites avoid this hotel like the plague

travelwriterlondon
Oct 24, 2009

Dublin Taxi Transfers help you to loose the flight

I have booked a return taxi transfer Dublin Airport- Best Western Sheldon Park Hotel Dublin for the 16th/19th March on the 9th March at Dublin Taxi Transfers. On 16th March I did not have any problem with the transfer. To be sure about the return I have emailed a confirmation about the order of a taxi at the hotel at 8:00 AM and we have recieved the apropriate answer via email. On 19th March, at 8:05 AM, I have called the taxi company, because the taxi had not arrived. They told me that the car is in traffic and will be at the hotel in 5 minutes. At 8:14 I have called again, and they said to me that the car will be at the hotel in 2 minutes. At 8:21they have called me and said that the car had an accident, they have no other car and I am free to call a taxi from other company. The reception of the hotel have called a taxi which arrived at 8:50 (the hotel it is not situated in the Dublin center) and due the peak hour our travel to the airport was a 40 minutes one instead of 20. We arrived at the airport at 9:30 AM, an hour and a half “journey”. Finally, we have catched our airplane in the last second, with a lot of running and a lot of stress. I consider the behavior of this so called company incredible, excuseless and unacceptable. They did not have even the common sense to call imediately a taxi when understood that can not deliver the requested service, in the context of the connection with a flight time. I have made bookings for taxis in Austria, Belgium, France,Germany, Holland and UK, but there were no problem of any kind.

Fun Alternatives Try to find another taxi company.

SilviuLache's Profile Photo
SilviuLache
Mar 25, 2013
IrishFem's Profile Photo

IrishFem

"Ultra Trendy Capital City"
davidjo's Profile Photo

davidjo

"AT LAST I MADE IT TO DUBLIN"
acemj's Profile Photo

acemj

"Dublin"
sourbugger's Profile Photo

sourbugger

"Great place - but not the real Ireland"

Mariajoy

"Dublin - The Windy City!!"

Things to Do Near Dublin

Number 29

Do you want to see a tipycal georgian house and know how a family lived in the XVIII century? Then come to Merrion Square, and in one corner you can visit the number 29. You have to enter through the...

Government Buildings

I came a cross this majestic building to find the gate closed and guarded. A sign in Gaelic "Tithe an Rialtais" and in English "Government Buildings," was on the gate with information about tours you...

Wild Wicklow Tours

If you don't have much time, and want to discover a little bit of Irish countryside I recommand you to take the "Wild Wicklow Tour". You can book it at the Tourism office or from your hotel. They have...

Iveagh Gardens

In 1862, Benjamin Guinness bought Nos. 80-81 St. Stephen's Green and combined the two houses, turning them into the stately mansion that is Iveagh House today. It is now home to the Department of...

Merrion Square

Notice how this house is five windows wide! It would have been very prestigious indeed. There was a clear social hierarchy based upon how many "bays" your house possessed. Pity those whose Georgian...

St. Stephen's Green

Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa was born in 1831 in a small village in County Cork. In 1856 he formed the "Phoenix National Literary Society," a secret society whose aim was Irish independence from...

Getting to Dublin

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Tourist Traps. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Tourist Traps. Help us improve our info!

Map