Map &

Dublin City Highlights Bike Tour
From EUR25.00

Dublin Bus Tips (54)

Waiting for a bus...

If the postcard you have seen in the introduction to this page wasn't clear enough, then read this tip.
Dublin Bus is the company that run the urban bus service of the city. The network includes dozens of lines. When I visited Dublin, it was the only means of public transport and I found it terrible. Before going to Dublin, I had never taken a bus in such a big city, so the nightmare was even greater. I had to take the bus 75 to go from my hostfamily's place to the English school and vice versa. It happened quite often that the bus passed but didn't stop because it was already full and when a bus is full, the driver doesn't stop. Sometimes, it didn't pass at all.
Also remember that you are expected to pay the ticket to the driver: the price changes according to your destination and you should always pay the exact amount, otherwise you won't get any money back.

Mikebond's Profile Photo
Nov 15, 2008

airport bus

the best way to get to downtown dublin from the airport is the airport bus. this express bus goes to o'connell street in central dublin. most of the attractions of dublin are walking distance from this spot. if the traffic is light the trip takes about 20 minutes. the fare is 6 euro.

doug48's Profile Photo
Jun 21, 2008

Good service

We used Dublin Bus several times, as our hotel was 3km from the city centre.

Frequent service and only €1.5 each. You need to have the correct change, however.

Also, beware of delays during the rush hours!

iaint's Profile Photo
Apr 08, 2008

Dublin Bus.
Where can I start.
This has got to be one of the worst and most unreliable bus services in Europe.
The timetables are a joke as they go early or late and frequently miss the run altogether. Also the times given are the "starting time" and give no indication whatsoever of times at intermediate stops.
For the benefit of tourists, the most frequent destination seen on a Dublin bus is "As Serbhis". You will see dozens of buses going there while you wait for a bus. Of course, they never stop. Only the staff go to "As Serbhis". It means "Out of Service"

kenbac's Profile Photo

99-100 Baggot Street Lower, , Dublin, County Dubli
31 Leeson Close, Lower Leeson Street, Dublin, County Dublin, 2, Ireland
8-10 Waterloo Road, Dublin, 4, Ireland

Dublin Bus

The Dublin city busses are quite good. We used them from the airport to the B&B and also from the B&B into the city. Only once in the trip did we rely on taxis to get us home as we just didn’t feel like standing in the cold to wait for the bus to come.

It is a simple to use bus and the views from upstairs are quite good at times, a good way to see things while being inside and keeping it cheap. In respect to the locals going to and from work, don’t do this until after rush hour. No one wants tourists making them late for work.

The fare system is based on stop to stop pricing although they seem to lump stops together and the city center area is considered one area.

We used a day pass for the first day and just the one way pricing for the second day.

Be aware that on Sunday’s the busses do not start running early enough to catch the first flights out and you’ll have to take a taxi to the airport if you have an early flight.

cjg1's Profile Photo
Feb 04, 2008

Prepaid Tickets - Save on Bus Fare

If you are not concentrated only on the Dublin centre, you might need to use the bus.
You can substantialy save by buying daily, family or rambler tickets for Dublin bus or some combination with Dart or Luas.

You cannot buy such tickets on the bus. You can buy them at the news agent.
n the bus, you have to pay exact fare for the ride.
You have to pay with coins and no change is given. The amount depends on the number of stages you are travelling.

EPoodle's Profile Photo
Oct 15, 2007

Dublin buses.

Public transport is a nightmare in Dublin. There are no timetables at the bus stops, and even if there are, the times apply only to the very first stop. Buses are nearly always late, but that's ok as you usually not sure what their times should be anyway. Prices are too high. Some late buses are very dirty. In fact it is impossible to get a bus after midnight, or it is if you patient enough to wait half an hour or more.

Olenka1's Profile Photo
Aug 25, 2007

Always late (blame the traffic, not the actual bus :) , awkward, and stinking. What can you do. Keep in mind that your bus fare depends on where you're going. For example 1-3 stages you'd be paying 1 euro, and anythink over 23 stages would cost you 1,90.
So do your math and decide if you want to buy daily, weekly, family,..or any other type of tickets in advance instead.
Nitelink is always 4 euro. It doesn't usually go from the same spot as your "normal day-time bus" and the number could be different so check it first. There is no nitelink on Mondays.

Kova's Profile Photo
Jun 17, 2007
IrishFem's Profile Photo

"Ultra Trendy Capital City"
davidjo's Profile Photo

acemj's Profile Photo

sourbugger's Profile Photo

"Great place - but not the real Ireland"
View Member

"Dublin - The Windy City!!"

Dublin Bus: A Relief for Tired Feet

Awhile back I met a woman here in Germany who used to work in Dublin. The one thing she always complained about was the buses and how they were never on-time. I've since lost touch with her but her complaints stuck in my mind and when I decided to go to Dublin I felt prepared to be standing forever waiting for the bus. When I got there I found that the mental preparation wasn't needed. The buses were quick and on-time everytime I wanted one, except once and even then the next one came punctually. Who knows what became of the one that never showed up
shrugs >.

So Dublin bus is easy to use if you know where you want to go and even easier if you have some idea how to get there in the first place. Being a "planner" I looked all of that up before hand on their website (Link provided below). I decided for getting around Dublin for 5 days and needing to go to and from the airport the 5 Day Dublin Rambler ticket was the best way to go. It is good on the AirLink buses as well as all regualr Dublin bus services. I wasnt sure if I would really use it on the regular buses since Dublin is rather compact but after so much walking, especially to Guinness I was glad I went ahead and bought it.

Rambler tickets come in 1, 3, 5, and 7 days. Prices availble on the Dublin Bus website under daily fares. They can be purchased at the Tourist information center or CIE Bus and Rail Info at the Arrivals level of Dublin Airport or at Dublin Bus at 59 Upper O'Connell Street.

Kushelkitten's Profile Photo
May 14, 2007

Dublin transportation needs urgent upgrade

The local transportation in Dublin can be a problem, especially in crowded hours. Buses are infrequent, they tend not to respect the schedule, and the trip-fare is expensive compared to the quality of the service. The city needs a subway or at least the extension of the tram network.

Apr 08, 2007

€5 Rover

Why pay €45 for a taxi from Dublin Airport to the heart of the city?

The one-day bus pass, which is available from the ticket machines opposite the bus stop allow one day's travel on all Dublin buses.

We were able to use this extensively to get around the city on an extremely rainy day.

For a few Euros more you can add DART usage to the pass.

frozensausage's Profile Photo
Feb 26, 2007

Good bus system, friendly drivers....

At the bus station on O'Connell, you can buy a month-long pass for about 80 euor or a weekly pass for about 20 and get bus-taking directions to any spot you want to visit in or around Dublin. I enjoye taking the bus, talking to locals and getting some good advice about what to see and do during my visits on my rides.

LBKesner's Profile Photo
Nov 12, 2006

Things To Do in Dublin

Number 29

Do you want to see a tipycal georgian house and know how a family lived in the XVIII century? Then come to Merrion Square, and in one corner you can visit the number 29. You have to enter through the...

Government Buildings

You will find this interesting sculpture outside Tyrone House where the department of Education and Skills is located. It is called the Wishing Hand and the sculptor was Irish Lady, Linda Brunker and...

Wild Wicklow Tours

If you don't have much time, and want to discover a little bit of Irish countryside I recommand you to take the "Wild Wicklow Tour". You can book it at the Tourism office or from your hotel. They have...

Iveagh Gardens

In 1862, Benjamin Guinness bought Nos. 80-81 St. Stephen's Green and combined the two houses, turning them into the stately mansion that is Iveagh House today. It is now home to the Department of...

Merrion Square

The National Memorial to Members of the Defence Forces Who Have Died in Service (2008) is situated in the east side of Merrion square Park and it is rather an attractive memorial, being a glass and...

St. Stephen's Green

On our last day in Dublin, I couldn't pass up my last chance to see St. Stephen's Green Park. Though it was already early evening, the light was still bright enough for a walk. My husband had little...

Getting to Dublin

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!