St. Mary's Church is in the center of the town, next to the entrance of the castle and Deer Park. The church is dedicated too the Blessed Virgin Mary but the present church was not the first on this spot. In 1042 Sitric, the King of Dublin built the first one but it was replaced in 1235 by a parish church, that being replaced by the present day church in the latter part of the 14th century. It was renovated in the 15th and 16th centuries when the gables were raised, a bell-cote was built and a new porch and south door were added. Inside is a tomb which belongs to the 13th Baron of Howth, Christopher St. Lawrence and his wife, Ann Plunkett. Outside is a Celtic cross.