Located on Merchant Quay is a beautiful freestanding Gothic Revival clock tower built of granite and limestone for the benefit of shipping. This was the Victorian era when Waterford was Ireland’s busiest industrial port and when a number of large scale public works projects were built, including this Clock Tower which is one of the best known landmarks in the City.
Built between 1860 – 1863, this ornate clock tower was originally known as the Fountain Clock as it had troughs for working horses to drink from.
The clock Tower is on the National Inventory of Irish Heritage.
The Victorian clock at the harbour was built in 1881 on order of mayor Thomas Meagher. Today, it is one of the best-known landmarks in Waterford. There is a public water fountain attached to the side.