Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Skip-the-Line Colosseum and Gems of Rome Semi Private or Private Tour
"Everyone has heard about the Colosseum growing up so it is obviously a priority when you come to Rome. Built nearly 2000 years ago still today the Colosseum is one of the most iconic monuments in the history of mankind! But we don’t want to just show you the monument; we want to make it come alive for you. To relive the last moments of a gladiator to hear the roaring crowd of more than 60000 people and feel the awe that someone who’s first time in Rome would have felt at the grandeur and magnificence of the Eternal City.   Next you will walk along the Imperial Fora a series of public squares constructed between 46 B.C. and 113 A.D
From EUR60.00

Skip the Line:Colosseum Official Guided Tour - Entrance fee included
"After meeting at the selected time an official tour guide with a solid background in history history of art and archaeology will lead you in the Colosseum with skip-the-line entrance ticket. The expert tour guide will reveal with detailed stories the secrets of the Colosseum and the Gladiators to enjoy the visit of this architectural and engineering wonder."
From EUR39.00

Small-Group Walking Tour: Colosseum and Ancient Rome Experience
"Forget about the Super Bowl the World Series and the World Cup. The Colosseum has hosted the most spectacular games ever. It’s estimated that more than 500000 people and a million animals lost their lives battling in the arena. We’ll also literally step back in time in our walk through the Roman Forum retracing the steps of Caesar
From EUR67.00

Colosseum Tips (67)

Go to the Colosseum early

Favorite thing We went to the Colosseum early in the morning, so we enjoyed our visit to the place better. There are no tourists around the first two hours when we were there. Before the gates were opened, we had time to check the grounds of the Colosseum- just walking around the structure. We went to the Forum also and we enjoyed seeing all the things that were sketched on the walls. We had plenty of time to check the whole place.

We didn't have to struggle with other tourists. Therefore, we were able to take great pictures of our whole group in front of the Colosseum. We took excellent pictures.

The best time to go there is actually at seven o'clock in the morning. The gates open two hours later. We were also first in line to buy the entrance tickets and first in line to get in the Colosseum.

Fondest memory I love taking the pictures of the Colosseum outside and inside. It was an exciting day for me to visit this place.

I thought I lost my camera when I was entering the gates but I actually put it in my backpack. It freaked me out because I had already put in about a thousand pictures in it.

joiwatani's Profile Photo
joiwatani
Mar 18, 2009

a page in history...

Favorite thing Of course, a visit to Rome is not complete without makin a trip to the Colossuem coz...

1. it's one of my absolute fav buidling on earth, despite friends commentin that I'm inhumane for loving a place which had took the lives of so many

2. It's jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring structure.. Although work started on it back in AD 72, the artchitects clearly had the foresight to build in contingency plans.. which till to-date can still be considered as somewhat modern... eg, the adjustable roofing, in case of rain, the loos.... etc etc

Anyway, the movie Gladiator, was thoroughtly researched and seemed to have reflected the Colosseum as it was back in its days of glory... hence can be watched as reference... :P Cheers to Russell Crowe! heheheh

BUT.... a word of caution oh..

DO NOT BE SHOCKED if you're going to the colosseum via the metro..... This is coz, the huge monument is right smacked outside the metro station... so, there u were, happily getting ur tickets punched, turn around and PWOAH!!!!

Also, lots of muscly half naked dudes walkin about pretending to be gladiators and offering to pose in your photos... clicked away if u must, but be sure to haggle for the fees..... :P.

Oh.. thirdly... I personally don't think it's necessary to join one of those Imperial Tour or something something. Joined one and it bored us tremendously as the "tour" did not cover for entrance fee into the Colosseum, and no time was allowed for those interested, to enter without risking the whole "tour" abandoning them behind.

peitsing's Profile Photo
peitsing
Jan 16, 2004

Get a good guidebook and refer to it frequently.

Favorite thing Well, I guess the single most important site I would take someone in Rome would have to be the Colosseum..............simply because most people think of Rome and the Colosseum in the same thought.

There is a kind of atmosphere there that is not found in other places (or is it just me). I could hardly take my eyes off the innards of the monument and could just about hear the screams and shouts of those involved in any of the activities that were conducted there. I guess it ultimately ended in death for many people and animals..............maybe that's what lingers here.

BUT........ a very impressive building none-the-less.

Fondest memory My first trip to Rome (1998) saw my daughter meet up with us .......... she was doing a worldwind tour of x number of European countries in x number of weeks and landed in Rome the day before we met up.

It was lovely to share the day with her (so far away from our homes) and interesting to have her also trying to figure out what all of the old rocks were.

unravelau's Profile Photo
unravelau
Feb 22, 2003

WOW!!

Favorite thing This was amazing, seeing it no television is nothing compared to walking around inside of it! We had a really nice time here and got some great pictures too. It is 11 euros each to get in and we paid an extra 3.50 euros each for a guided tour and for immediate entry. We ended up skipping the guided tour and walking around by ourselves and the line seemed to be moving quite slow so the extra money was worth avoiding the line. I don't know what else to say about it other than it was simply amazing.

Fondest memory I would have to say the whole trip, it was a really nice weekend.

ArianaR's Profile Photo

Via di San Giovanni in Laterano 10, Rome, 00184, Italy
Via F. Cornaro 19, 00152
Via Duchessa di Galliera 14

Cheap Tours

Favorite thing When you're standing in the queue and tour touts are shouting "You'll be in this queue for 40 minutes if you don't come with us" - ignore them, you'll end up in a huge group struggling to hear.
Instead check the times of the official tours - they're on lists in the window of the ticket office and only cost about 3-4 euro on top of your admission price. We ended up in a group of about 8 people, it was excellent.

sarahNI's Profile Photo
sarahNI
Jun 29, 2004

The Front door of the Collosseum

Favorite thing is particularly ordinary don't you think?

Of course this would most probably be the most important site to be seen in Rome. Well this and St Peter's square, I would think. It would be interesting to find out which monument or place statistically is the most visited in Rome............then in Italy......... I am sure that this would have been done at some time..............?

Fondest memory Well it is a magnificent city that keeps calling you back............don't know why, it just does.

unravelau's Profile Photo
unravelau
Mar 29, 2003

Must see the Colosseum

Favorite thing You must see the Colosseum, it's so much larger than I imagined. It held up to 55,000 people. As you look down into its depths you can see the pens (see in my travelog) where the Christians and the wild animals were kept for slaughter, at the inaugural games in AD 80 over 9,000 wild animals were killed.
The arena had approximately eighty entrances so crowds could arrive and leave easily and quickly, much more efficient than our buildings of today..
The plan is a vast ellipse, measuring externally 615 ft x 510 ft, with the base of the building covering about 6 acres. Vaults span between eighty radial walls to support tiers of seating and for passageways and stairs.
The facade of three tiers of arches and an attic story is about 158 ft tall — roughly equivalent to a 12-15 story building.

Goner's Profile Photo
Goner
Apr 23, 2003

Buggy Ride Through History

Favorite thing Buggies for hire are seen throughout many of the hot spots in the city, from the Piazza di Spagna (Spanish Steps) to the Coliseum and elsewhere. Not the same as a cab which operates at a stiff fare schedule, the buggy drivers must be haggled with and the route selected before you head onward. This is Rome's version of arguing with a gondolier, and for my money can readily be dispensed with.

mrclay2000's Profile Photo
mrclay2000
Jan 16, 2003
icunme's Profile Photo

icunme

"R O M E"
breughel's Profile Photo

breughel

"TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
MM212's Profile Photo

MM212

"Roma - Città Eterna"
croisbeauty's Profile Photo

croisbeauty

"Roma, una citta stupenda"
von.otter's Profile Photo

von.otter

"Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
View Member

While the Mighty Overwhelm. . .

Favorite thing While your eyes dazzle before such monuments as the Arch of Constantine and the ruins of the Coliseum, you might not notice all the excavation sites in Rome. Modern scholars and archaelogists continually uncover or unearth relics of Rome's illustrious past. Sometimes the sites are marked as a 'keep off' area and others are fenced off, so be mindful of such places and watchful as well -- markers don't always advertise the latest finds for public exhibits.

mrclay2000's Profile Photo
mrclay2000
Jan 10, 2003

The Colosseum

Favorite thing Obviously, the Colosseum is the absolute one thing you must see. (Be sure to get your picture taken with the gladiators.) However, that is only the first on a very long list of wonderful things to see in Rome.

The Vatican is a the ultimate for art lovers, with 360 degree art, be prepared to have a sore neck the next day. Go early to beat the crowds.

Fondest memory Walking around a corner and seeing the Colosseum for the first time. That was when I really felt the history and magic of Rome.

Dionosaur's Profile Photo
Dionosaur
Jan 14, 2003

In general

Favorite thing What can I say about one of the most talked about travel destinations in the world? You know why you want to come here, the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, Vatican City, the Pantheon, beautiful women, good food, and nice weather. You'll find them all in Rome and well as many other great things that you may never read about in a guidebook, there is something around every corner of Rome to explore. Have fun.

Venturingnow's Profile Photo
Venturingnow
Feb 28, 2003

The Colisseum

Favorite thing The bigger roman amphitheatre, built in 72 AD. In despite of the ruins, it´s a magnificient building.
You should hire the local guide, who are anthropologists, that make you focus on the really important details, and let you know the truth of what "really" happened there.-

El mayor anfiteatro romano fue mandado construir por el emperador Vespasiano en el año 72 dc. Actualmente solo quedan ruinas de lo que era, pero eso basta para darse cuenta lo grandioso que debe haber sido antiguamente. -

pili's Profile Photo
pili
May 25, 2003

Things to Do Near Colosseum

Colosseum

final part of my pictures of the inside of the colosseum including the stations of the Cross, the Hypogenum and Arena. The Most Visited Roman Landmark of Rome is the famous Colosseum while the most...

Fontana dell'Acqua Paola - Il Fontanone

This Monumental fountain commemorats the reopening in 1612 of n aqueduct originally built by Emperor trajan in AD 109.The aqueduct was renamed the Acqua paola" after Paul V,the Borghese pope who...

Campo Verano - Cimitero del Verano

I only set foot in this huge 'modern' cemetery because I wanted to visit a nearby church but there was a special Mass taking place which was followed by its afternoon closure. Rather than catch the...

Roman Forum - Santa Francesca Romana

Dating back to the 10th century, la Basilica di Santa Francesca Romana (Frances of Rome) was originally called Santa Maria Nova. It is one of several churches located in the Roman Forum. The...

Colonna dell'Immacolata

The Column of the Immaculate Mary (Colonna della Immacolata) is located just in front of the Spanish Embassy and along the border of Piazza Di Espagna and Piazza Piazza Mignanelli. This column was...

Arch of Constantine

The Arch is the largest Truimphal arch in Rome and has iron fences to block entry by gawking tourists, however you can take unlimited videos, pictures and selfies of the famous Arch. Constantine was...

Getting to Colosseum

Address

We don't yet have an address for this General. Help us improve our info!

Hours