Hosteria Pizzeria Da Vito E Dina, Rome

• Hosteria Pizzeria Da Vito E Dina
    by jchtravel

• Hosteria Pizzeria de Vito E Dina: A great little Trattoria

by jchtravel Written Nov 22, 2009

After our visit to St. Peter's we walked the pretty streets of the Borgo and around the Piazza del Risorgimento, looking for restaurants for dinner that evening, checking out menus and sometimes talking to owners and servers. Though there were also plenty of hawkers begging us into their place, we were impressed with quite a few places we saw. We liked Vito's simple ambience from the sidewalk, and although they were closed after lunch.... a good sign, we learned.....they were kind enough to show us a menu. Vito's was a short 4-5 block walk from our B & B, so we strolled on over around 7:30 or so.

We started with orders of the fried suppli; potato balls, fried olives, etc, and started on a litre of pretty good vino bianco. Plates of pasta with porcini and chicken with peppers followed. The chicken was as close to my Nonna's cooking as I have tasted in a long time, bless her soul.

Vito strolled the room, and Dina also came out to talk to tables of regulars. Dinner was served casually but with a real personal touch. A lovely evening with very reasonable prices.

Address: Via degli Scipioni

Directions: 2 blocks north of the Piazza del Risorgemento, and just west of Via Ottaviano

• Bandearg's Profile Photo

Hosteria Pizzeria "Da Vito E Dina": A unique local experience

by Bandearg Written Feb 22, 2007

The welcome from Vito himself was legendary..
    "Buono Sera.. I am Vito Corleone.. you must come inside now and eat in my restaurant."
    And who were we to refuse?
    The restaurant was simple and clean, the food was fantastic. Very traditional fare served somewhat slow, but if you're dining in Roma.. why rush? Our group of 8 were warmly received and catered for beautifully. The Prosecco, which was chilled to perfection, was fantastic and around Euro 8 a bottle.
    Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, and from the Prima piati to the dolce everything was served piping hot, and beautifully fresh.
    The owners wife, Dina was a character, punctuated her sentences with screams to the kitchen in Italian, and then smiled sweetly back at us as if we hadn't heard a thing because it was said in a different language!
    This one is most definitely on my return to list when I get back to Roma.

Favorite Dish: All of their Antipasti and Prima Piati (starters) were amazing and the kids all raved about the pizzas.

Address: Via degli Scipioni

Directions: About 5 minutes walk from the Musei Vaticani

• Religious Travel
    • Museum Visits

• endzoearth's Profile Photo

Hosteria Pizzeria "Da Vito e Dina": Tasty & Cheap - only a short walk from the Vatican

by endzoearth Updated Aug 5, 2006

This is a little restaurant that is within walking distance from the St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican. It is a bit of a walk, but the food is great and reasonably priced. It's right on the way to the Ottaviano metro stop, so if you're traveling by foot/metro, it's perfect. Grab your grub here on your way to/from the Vatican. The staff is EXTREMELY friendly, and quite assertive in helping you order your food - in fact, they'll tell YOU what you want if you let them.

Favorite Dish: I believe I had the chicken parmesan or something like that (the waiter pretty much told me that's what I needed to get), along with some of the best Chianti I've ever tasted. It was all very good, especially for the price.

Address: Via degli Scipioni, 50 - 00195 Roma

Directions: Coming from the Ottaviano metro stop, start heading down Via Ottaviano toward the Vatican, and turn right on Via degli Scipioni (it should be the first street you come to). You will see the restaurant on your left.

• Study Abroad