Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Ancient Rome Segway Tour with Optional Skip the Line Colosseum Ticket
"Rome aims to be the home to the largest archeological park in the world and with the creation of the pedestrian haven on the road of the Imperial Forum there is no better time to explore the wonders of Ancient Rome by segway. During the Ancient Rome Segway Tour you glide past famous sights such the Colosseum and Roman Forum's exteriors and have the opportunity to integrate your tour with a Skip the Line Colosseum Roman Forum and Palatine Hill ticket which you will be free to use at your leisure any time during your trip.Your meeting location is easy to find
From EUR64.00

Colosseum and Roman Forum : Skip the Line Guided Tour
"The Colosseum will take you to an ancient world: the gladiator's. From here you will enter in Rome's heart as 2000 years ago with the archeological ruins of its buildings and temples.Today we will find out about the Colosseum also known as the world’s biggest amphitheater. UNESCO has added it to the list of the “World Heritage”: its construction started in 72 A.C. and ended 8 years later. It could contain between 50 and 75 thousand spectators and was used until 523 A.C.Your tour guide will tell you about the different techniques used to build it and will introduce you to the Gladiators' world the famous fighters who used to duel in the arena: it appears that this type of fighting started in ancient Greece in order to celebrate private memorial services and the Romans transformed them in acclaimed public shows. The Colosseum day type was split execution of criminals at lunch time gladiator fights in the afternoon. Our tour will go on through every details: from the organization to the social and economical aspects. In particular they will introduce you all types of gladiators: they used to be around 30 types and each one of them
From EUR50.00

Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and Colosseum Half-Day Walking Tour
"Start your tour near Oppian Hill – one of the famous Seven Hills of Rome -- to enjoy panoramic views of the Colosseum and then stroll down to it with your guide. As Rome’s premier crowd-drawing site the Colosseum regularly attracts long entrance lines. Skip them with your priority-access ticket and head straight inside for your small-group tour.As you walk around the Colosseum’s first and second tiers your guide will keep you entertained with tales of gladiators mock sea-battles and executions -- a fascinating insight into the amphitheater's gruesome past. Wander its circumference and learn what it must have been like when the crowds were roaring and the gladiator’s fate was decided by an emperor on a whim. head outside and walk the short distance to the Roman Forum for an up-close look at some of Ancient Rome’s most evocative ruins. See sites like the Temple of Julius Caesar and the intriguing House of the Vestal Virgins before strolling up Palatine Hill to admire the views of the ruins below. Look down over Nero’s Circus Maximus
From EUR51.00

Roman Forum Tips (244)

The Roman Forum

Basically a forum is a place in any Roman town where business, civic, or religious activities were conducted. The Roman Forum has numerous temples and arches. Depending on where you enter, you might be greated by one of two really great arches, the Arch of Septimius, or at the other end of the Via Sacra, the Arch of Titus. There are various remains of temples scattered all over, and of course, the final resting place of Julius Ceasar.

Jmill42's Profile Photo
Jmill42
Feb 28, 2004

Roman Forum

The Forum Romanum is located next to the Coliseum. It was the political and economical centre of Rome during the Republic.

Today, the forum can look like a disorderly collection of ruins to the uninitiated, but with some imagination you can see the Roman empire come back to life at this site. Remains of many buildings from different periods are visible; the forum was littered with temples, basilicas and triumphal arches.

The area was the center of activity in Rome. Here, triumphal processions took place, elections were held and the Senate assembled.

tere1's Profile Photo
tere1
Aug 18, 2006

Roman Forum

This was the downtown area of the ancient city, where you could cross paths with Cicero or Caesar himself on their way to the political, religious, and commercial buildings which are still visible here today, 2000 years later, in various states of preservation. Very evocative of the power of Rome in her Golden Age.

Open daily 9am -one hour before sunset. Admission until 2 hours before closing time. Admission free.

ruki's Profile Photo
ruki
Aug 10, 2005

Roman Ruins

The Roman Forum is the heart of ancient Rome.

It was the political, religious and commercial heart of the city as far back as 6 BC.

Today it is a valley of ruined buildings and temples, which you can wander around and amaze at the history and imagine the grandeur that was lost long ago.

They are still working on uncovering and restoring parts of the Forum

sue_stone's Profile Photo

Via del Lavatore 44, Rome, Lazio, 00187, Italy
Vicolo dei Modelli 57, Rome, 00187, Italy
Via De Crociferi 41

The Roman Forum

The Roman Forum was, in roman times, surrounded by churches, temples and monuments, and it was the centre of civil life in the old city. In there forums elections were held, the assemblies of the Senate and the people, religious ceremonies and the administration of justice.
It is now a gathering of ruins, from the Emilia Basilica, the Temple of Venus and Rome, the Julius Caesar temple, the Titus Arch, the Via Sacra to the Palatine, the church of Santa Maria Antiqua and the Arch of Septimio Severo.
The forum shows us how romans, in early times, were much more organized than we are today, and how many things were invented by them to make politics, cities and people a little bit better.

IIGUANA's Profile Photo
IIGUANA
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Forum (Foro Romano)

The Forum was the civic heart of the Republic of Rome. The area was once filled with temples and palaces. Today all these are ruins and you'll have to use all of your imagination to try to envision how it must have looked. Still, it's impressive if you think that most of the buildings were built between 500 BC to 400 AD. A friends of mine told me that this place calms him because all our worries seem small when you come here and realize how quickly the time flies.
The Arch of Septimius Severus is one of the structures still standing. If you're interested in Roman history it's a good idea to have a good travel guide with you to be able to indentify the ruins.

Andraf's Profile Photo
Andraf
Dec 07, 2003

The heart of Ancient Rome

I have to admit that Roman Forum and its view from Capitol Hill was my favorite spot in Rome. I knew that this place was the host of all the main temples and halls of justice. I also knew that this was the political, religious and commercial center of the city, but nothing, in all the readings that I have done prior to my trip to Rome, prepared me for the surprise and the wonderful feeling I had once I laid my eyes on this site. My mind started to wonder and my imagination to run wild while I was walking the streets of this jewel and I was listening to the audio guide that I downloaded from Rick Steve's web site before leaving Chicago.

There is so much to do and to see here and you should plan your visit accordingly. You also need to make sure that you wear comfortable shoes (sneakers are best!) as streets are uneven and rocky. You will find several fountains scattered all over the place with really good water, just in case you get thirsty or you need to refill your water bottle (in case you carry one, like I always do).

Regardless of the bad weather (rainy, windy and cold most of the time of our visit), we ended up spending close to 4 hours visiting the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill and I still feel that I could have easily spent more time here. We had to make sure, though, that we had time to visit the Colosseum also during the same day since we decided to buy the Roma Card and this gave us admission to these sites for 1 day only. There are some advantages if you buy the Roma Card, so do your homework and decide if it's better to get the card or to get the individual ticket from the site.

The ticket (if you buy it from the ticket booth) costs 11 Euros and it gives you admission to Roman Forum, Palatine Hill and Colosseum for 2 consecutive days, one entry per site. If you decide to buy the ticket from one of the sites, then make sure you buy it from the Roman Forum entrance instead of the Colosseum. The lines are much shorter here and I think it is a good strategy to visit Roman Forum and Palatine Hill before going to the Colosseum.

My favorite things that we saw here: Caligula's Palace, the forum Main Square, Temple of Saturn and the House of Vestal Virgins.

monica71's Profile Photo
monica71
Jan 22, 2009

Fantastic - but arrive early.

I was very pleasantly suprised by the Roman Forum. It had always been on our list of things to do in Rome but hadn't been our top priority. We did however visit it first thing in the morning on our first day as we had been told that the ticket for the forum could also be used to get in to the colosseum without so much queuing (this is true and I would strongly recommend doing this).
The Forum covers quite a large area really with a large number of buildings (or rather the remains of buildings) on the site. I personally enjoyed the curia (with bronze doors dating from ancient Roman times still intact), the house of the vestal virgins and the Arch of Titus to be most impressive. The views of the colosseum from the Arch of Titus are well worth taking a photo of.
I'm very pleased that we arrived very early. We got there about 15-20 minutes after opening and there were only 2 people ahead of us in the queue so we were in in no time at all. When we left a couple of hours later the queue was horrendous! Do go early.
They have an audio guide available which was fairly pricey and you have to leave an item of ID (such as passport or drivers licence) with them as security. Don't bother with this. Whilst I don't doubt the accuracy of the information contained on the audio guide it was dry, boring and unengaging and we stopped using it within the first 20 minutes of our visit. take a good guide book with maps of the forum with you instead.

zadunajska8's Profile Photo
zadunajska8
Nov 02, 2011
icunme's Profile Photo

icunme

"R O M E"
breughel's Profile Photo

breughel

"TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
MM212's Profile Photo

MM212

"Roma - Città Eterna"
croisbeauty's Profile Photo

croisbeauty

"Roma, una citta stupenda"
von.otter's Profile Photo

von.otter

"Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"

Forum Romanum

A lot of ruins to see.We love to watch the ruins,but even if I love hot weather,it was hottet day at our Rome-trip,and after walking around Colosseum,we might have missed something here,because we run out of water,and had to leave earlier than we would have othervice.
It was good to have a Rome pass,we jut walked in without staying in line.Lines were quite short anyway,if you came in from the Colosseum side.
I have a link and describtion of Rome pass at my Colosseum-tip.

Turska's Profile Photo
Turska
Oct 12, 2008

The vast Roman Forum

I found it good to view the patchwork quilt, that is the Forum, from the Capitoline Hill before embarking on the journey around its many gardens and ruins.

This way i could pick out a route through the virtual carnage of tour groups and crumbling statues and columns, to see the things i actually wanted to see, and to miss the things i didn't.......

Well-worth a atleast a passing glance is the Temple of Castor and Pollux (AD5), the Temple of Romulus (only the doors remain of the original AD4 building, but its now part of the Santi Cosma e Damiano standing behind it), the Vestal Virgins (8BC), the Temple of Vesta and the Basilica Julia (54BC).

The Basilica of Constantine and Maxeritius (3 large barrel vaults) was my favourite as its ruins are all that remain of the Forums largest building.

Entrances are at the Largo Romoloe e Remo, Via del Foro Romano, and also at the Arch of Titus on Via Sacra.

jono84's Profile Photo
jono84
Aug 18, 2004

personal tour of the forum

One of my favorite things to do in Rome is to visit the forum. I love walking around, soaking up the ambiance and trying to imagine what it must have been like 2 thousand years ago. Well...I have found something that makes this even easier to do. I found a downloadable guide that I put on my ipod and took with me. I simply started where the tour said to start and followed it thru the forum. It gives great detail on the specific buildings, some of their history and some interesting information that you might not find in the guidebooks. Best of all, you can skip any part that doesn't interest you and continue on tho the next. I found it very easy to use and very interesting. The forum tour started at the top of the forum and worked its way to the colosseum. It was in two parts so you could easily stop for lunch or a soda before continuing. The name of the guides are: pocketvox. You can check them out at pocketvox.com. They cost 5 euros to download but each tour lasts about two hours and you do it at your own pace. If you don't want to carry a guidebook thru the forum then these are the guides for you.

monorailgold's Profile Photo
monorailgold
Mar 18, 2007

Forum Romanum

One of the greatest places in Rome, in my opinion. You just have to see it during your trip. You can feel the history around you and close your eyes and listen to your own imagination and you can see the ancient Rome then...

chiara76's Profile Photo
chiara76
Jan 11, 2006

Things to Do Near Rome

Trevi Fountain - Fontana di Trevi

more pictures of the renovation of the famous fountain when we visited last year. The trevi fountain was fully restored in August of 2015 and I hope to com back again to see it this time in it's full...
Things to Do

Fontana del Facchino – ‘The Porter’

One of the things we loved in Rome was the fact that in between 2 major sites we were facing here and there some beautiful corners, small details on the walls, sculptures, beautiful facades of unknown...

Time Elevator

If you're hot and tired and feel like resting your feet for a while, the Time Elevator is an entertaining distraction. You are seated on a moving platform and experience an audio visual show. The...

Piazza Barberini

After checking in at the hotel we took the metro into the city center and Barberini square was the first thing we saw. Piazza Barberini was created in the 16th century and took its name from the...

Museo Delle Cere

Think we paid Eu7 entry August 2009 I understand was Eu8 by 2010. Could walk through in 10 minutes! Figures likenesses range from the unremarkable to the fairly bad. There is a 1940s ensemble of...

Chiesa San Ignazio di Loyola

Chiesa di Sant'Ignazio di Loyola was built in 1626 by pope Gregory XV on the site of an older church. It is dedicated to Saint Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuit Order, and is thus a...

Getting to Rome

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Hours