Map &

Independent Florence Day Trip from Venice by High-Speed Train
From EUR97.00
Cooking Class: Italian-Style Meatballs and Tiramisu
From EUR125.00

Where to find Great Views Tips (44)

Piazzale Michelangelo.

Favorite thing Piazzale Michelangelo is a very large square laid out in 1865. It is situated on a hill on the south bank of the Arno river.

From there you can enjoy a breathtaking view of Florence. You can spot the main sights of the town and also some remnants of the ancient walls.

You can go to piazzale Michelangelo by bus (take n. 13 outside the main train station) or by foot.

Maurizioago's Profile Photo
Feb 25, 2015

Where else but Piazzale Michelangelo

Favorite thing Situated on the hilly patches of Tuscany and bisected by the polluted-but-pretty Arno River, there is no denying that Florence is heart-achingly scenic and romantic. One of the greatest (and cheapest) Florentine experience is to view the city from a good vantage point and revel in its dramatic setting and serene skyline. Tourists can do this from a number of places: the Campanile, the Duomo's dome and Piazzale Michelangelo. Arguably, the last location affords tourist the grandest view in that it includes the iconic Duomo and the striking spire that is Torre d'Arnolfo.

As usual, the best time to enjoy these views would be at sunset when the Florentine sky undergoes a lovely transformation with lots of purple and pinkish shades during autumn. And as the dusk gives way to night, the city's lights all come aglow highlighting the dramatic reflections of the city's historical buildings on the Arno River.

To get there, take bus no. 13 from Stazione di Sta Maria Novella. It's quite a long 30-minute ride along the city's clogged streets, and you'd know you've reached there when the bus disgorges tens of camera-toting tourists. If you stay a bit late to say about 7 pm, the bus does seem to take long to arrive - but the trip should be all worth it.

Tijavi's Profile Photo
Jun 12, 2009

The 'money shot' of Ponte Vecchio

Favorite thing OK, so I haven't made a dime on this shot but it has been seen by millions of Minnesotans and anyone who has cruised the VT "Top 10" lists.

We were doing our Sunday session with the newspaper awhile back and The Husband said, "Oh look; Florence! Golly, that sure looks a lot like the shot you took of Ponte Vecchio."

By golly, it WAS my shot.

Turns out that the Strib had contacted VT and asked, pretty-please, to use it. So I'm published. Sort of. Didn't get the byline but VT did and that's good enough for me.

As I wrote in my review about Ponte Vecchio (a better reproduction of the shot there), the best place to see it is anywhere but ON the thing itself. I took this from a window at the Uffizi; one of the very few places in the museum where a snap of the shutter was allowed before the photo ban was nixed.

goodfish's Profile Photo
Jan 07, 2016

A night stroll through town

Fondest memory One of my fondest memories of Florence was of our walk along the river in the evening. It was truly magical.

I took this picture on our way back to the center of town after watching the sunset from Piazzale Michelangelo. That night couldn't have been any more romantic. If Maria and I weren't already married, I would have proposed to her right then and there!!

For more information on Piazzale Michelangelo, see my "Must See" section.

guell's Profile Photo

Via De' Belfredelli 9, Florence, 50125, Italy
Via Guicciardini 22, Florence, Tuscany, 50125, Italy
Borgo San Jacopo, 3, Florence, Tuscany, 50125, Italy

view from the Duomo

Fondest memory Enjoying the view from the top of the Duomo. It is ofcourse nice to have clear skies and see all the way to the mountains.

If you don´t feel able to climb the 463 steps of the Duomo you can also have a great view of the city from the piazalle Michelangelo.

tompt's Profile Photo
Feb 09, 2003

The colors of Florence

Favorite thing Florence is the perfect place to discover the marvels of the Renaissance, the delicious Tuscany food or the elegance of a city full of colorful details. I can only suggest you not to loose any of those things.

Fondest memory The colors of the nightfall over the river Arno. The view has an impossible beauty.

agarcia's Profile Photo
Oct 17, 2002

Il Campanile

Favorite thing You can climb the 414 steps to the top of the Cupolla. From there, you can enjoy wonderful views of the city.-

Se pueden subir los 414 escalones hacia el tope de la cúpula. Desde allí, se pueden admirar maravillosas vistas de la ciudad

pili's Profile Photo
Aug 17, 2003

View I

Favorite thing I took few pictures from Piazzalle Michelangelo - I think you can get the best view of Florence right there.
On this picture you can see the river Arno, Palazzo Vecchio on the left and Duomo, Campanile & Baptistry on the right.

KiNyA's Profile Photo
Jan 08, 2004

Top 5 Florence Writers

croisbeauty's Profile Photo

fgfi's Profile Photo

ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

"My Relationship With Firenze"
brendareed's Profile Photo

"weekends in Florence"
mariocibelli's Profile Photo

"Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"

Florence from Piazzale Michelangelo

Favorite thing Probably the best way to see Florence is to hike up to Piazzale Michelangelo. From there you can really see one of the most beautiful European cities at once.
As well there's the famous statue of Michelangelo's David.

KiNyA's Profile Photo
Nov 08, 2003

View from Piazzale Michelangelo

Favorite thing Piazzale Michelangelo is the place where you can see beautiful views of the city. I had a lot of fun looking towards the city and trying to identify the places I have visited. The square has a copy of Michelangelo's David.

Andraf's Profile Photo
Feb 07, 2004

Walk along the embankment of ...

Favorite thing Walk along the embankment of the Arno, it's a pleasure!

Fondest memory Here, on the embankment, round the corner from the Uffizi Gallery they sell the tastiest ice-cream I ever tried!

Sep 12, 2002

the dome

Favorite thing When in Florence you can´t miss the Dome. It is dominating the skyline since centuries.

It stands tall adjacent to the Baptistery and the Companile. No other building is higher than the Duomo which was first designed in 1294 by Arnolfo di Cambio who died in 1302 leaving the design to other architects who finished designing Arnolfo's dream but could not figure out how to build such a long dome (142 feet from the ground). Fillippo Brunelleschi came to the rescue and managed to construct the Dome.

The exterior is covered in marble walls which are a mixture of white ( Carrara), green (Prato), and red( Maremma). The interior is bare and cold. The Duome can hold 10 000 people in one preaching. On the west wall, there are three stained glass windows designed by Ghiberti and a huge clock which was decorated with four heads of prophets by Paolo Uccelo in 1443. On the left aisle are a pair of memorials of mercenary commanders (condottieri).

The biggest work of the Duomo is the fresco of the 'Last Judgement' by Vasari. These are painted on the entire roof .

Fondest memory Climbing the 463 steps to the top of the Dome, is a very tiring, but rewarding task. Being close to the big, big painting of the last judgement overwelms one. And after getting higher the views over Florence are great! While climbing you can see how exactly the dome was constructed.
Climbing the dome costed €6 in febr. 2003, but is worth every cent.

tompt's Profile Photo
Feb 09, 2003

Things To Do Near Florence

Boboli Gardens - Giardini Di Boboli

The Italian Renaissance spawned not just fabulous art and architecture but gardens as well. Green spaces arranged in tightly ordered symmetry - embellished with sparkling fountains, grottos and...

Basilica Santo Spirito

On our way to the church of Santo Spirito, we found a really nice local market in the piazza in front of the church on the evening we were there. It looked more like a flea market and has reasonable...

Ponte Vecchio

one of the most famous Bridge around the world can be found in Florence along the banks of the Arno River. Ponte Vecchio is one of the three old bridges along the Arno River (the other ones nearby are...

Chiesa Dei Santi Apostoli

We stopped in this little church, Church of the Holy Apostles, to see the architecture of a very old medieval style church. It was off the beaten path and tucked away in a very small piazza with a...

Il Porcellino

this will be the pictures of the famous Pig Fountain in front of the Mercato Nuovo in Florence which is famous for tourists who put coins in the snout and also rub the snout to have their wishes...

Artviva Tours

When I started mixing up churches and art collections, I knew it was time for a tour outside of Florence. First I was considering taking the train and going on my own, but then I saw a flyer from a...

Getting to Florence

We don't yet have an address for this General. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this General. Help us improve our info!