Map &

2-Hours Walking Tour in Florence
From EUR60.00

Souvenirs Tips (8)

Various, See Below: Shopping at the Markets/Supermarkets

Whenever I go to any city, I love to check out the local markets - from the flower markets to the food markets. Another place I always try to visit is a grocery store. It's a great way to find different/unusual souvenirs, pick up the makings for lunch, or just buy something you have tried and liked in a particular place. Below are some places to shop:

Mercato Centrale located on the Piazza del Mercato - Tuscan products

Mercato delle Cascine located on Via A. Lincoln (on the banks of the Arno) - sells everything

Mercato delle Cure located on the Piazza delle Cure - authentic Florentine market (outside town)

Mercato Nuovo located on Via Por Santa Maria - leather, souvenirs, hand-embroidered work, Il Porcellino is here

Mercato delle Plante located on Via Pelliceria - flowers and plants (under a portico by the post office - good place to head when the rain starts)

Mercato della Pulce located on the Piazza dei Ciompi - flea market, antiques, knick knacks

Mercato San Lorenzo located on the Piazza di San Lorenzo - leather bargains, clothes, fruits/vegetables/food is located in the covered portion of the market

Mercato di Sant'Ambrogio located on the Piazza Ghiberti - fruits and vegetables

Mercato di Santo Spirito located on the Piazza Santo Spirito - sells everything, is flea market on certain weekends

Supermarkets/Grocery Stores:

Esselunga - Via Masaccio, Via del Ginoro

Conad - Via L. Alamanni, Via dei Servi

Coop - Via Salvia Cristiani

Standa - Via Pietrapiana

Beware of the street sellers offering fake designer clothes, purses, sunglasses, etc. (unless you want that). Located around the city - many near the Duomo.

What to buy Leather, Wine, Italian Sweets

Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
Jul 05, 2009

Souvenirs: Go a little further you can get it cheaper!

Along the street you have all sorts of goodies you can bring home. But be wary as some of these items are overpriced. Talk the guy selling you items down if they won't move the price go to another shop, they will. It is becoming more of a problem of illegal immigration and they will sell you items cheap also, but if you buy the fake Gucci bag you may not be able to get it through certain airports as they check for these things.

What to buy Paintings, Pictures, Crystal, WINE!

What to pay I would say bring at the very least 100Euro just to buy your self "keepsakes"

Jul 18, 2005

Souvenir Stands: Bartering for the Best

There are several little souvineer kiosks in Florence, and they seem to be concentrated near the leather market and the other must-see attractions. Along the road you can find these merchants selling all sorts of odds and ends that at first glance seem like the same junk to be found in every other city you visit. However, slow down and take a look!

The merchants are extremely friendly (or maybe they're just extremely friendly to young, blonde American girls) and are more than willing to barter for sale.

What to buy My favorite souvineer from Florence is not the postcards, the leather jacket, or the junky 'Firenze' t-shirt. My best purchase, by far, is the little leather bracelet that I bought from one of these street venders. They're cheep, durable (mine lasted a year without having taken it off, if I remember correctly), and they represent Florence in a unique way.

What to pay The bracelet I bartered with the merchant for was priced at 8 euros, and with a bit of smiling and a promise to be his American girlfriend (sure, buddy, whatever you say...) I got two bracelets for 3 euros.

hobgoblins's Profile Photo
May 11, 2007

Souvenirs: Souvenir Shops in Florence

off course you would expect to see a lot of souvenir shops and stores in and around the major attractions of Florence of which they sell everything such as fridge magnets, shot glasses, paper weights, postcards, books, t shirts, caps, hoodies and other typical souvenir items and also some renaissance copies of the famous paintings of the renaissance artist of Florence such as Michaelangelo and Leonardo Da Vince and also various leather goods as Italy is known for leather products.

most shops are open from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm everyday

What to buy all your typical souvenir items and also various leather goods of excellent quality and specially light and not heavy at all.

What to pay depends on what you buy

machomikemd's Profile Photo