Map &

Hidden Florence Walking Tour
From EUR39.00
Tour Segway Florence
From EUR85.00

Casa Di Dante - Dante's House Tips (13)

Casa di Dante - his home and now museum

Dante Alighieri (1265-1321) was born in Florence and belonged to a patrician family that is strongly supported Ghibellines. His unwavering commitment to Ghibellines, who were against the Pope, was crucial to determine his whole life. Even in young age, Dante took up the policy so that he become one of the six city Prior....

croisbeauty's Profile Photo
Aug 26, 2016

And Dante's Church

Right next to Dante's house you can find a small church that it's a true gem, almost hidden to the unaware tourist, but worth a visit, if for nothing else just because it was attended by the great poet.

jorgec25's Profile Photo
Jun 08, 2016

Dantesque Furnishings

Dante reportedly was born in a small house still extant on Via Santa Margherita. One of the beauties about Florence is that, without some special indication of its being the Dante house, the building would scarcely call attention from the other structures in the lane.

mrclay2000's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2011

Poetry in the street

I didn't go into Dante's house because of scepticism about famous houses. The Mozart house in Vienna was filled with shrieking school children and contained little to nothing of interest. Dante's house is interesting to see on the outside, however, and the visitor will be awarded with a Dantesque verse about his hometown. My scepticism was duly rewarded - this is a 20th century structure built on the site of the 12th century house in which Dante lived. Yes, this is a faux monument.

mikey_e's Profile Photo

Piazza dei Donati 4, Via del Corso, Florence, Tuscany, 50122, Italy
Via Alighieri Dante 14, Florence, Tuscany, 50122, Italy
Via Condotta, 16, Florence, Italy

Dante's home

Dante Alighieri was the member of one of the best families in Florence, but he was expelled from the city.

He lived in different cities in Italy and died in Ravena (1321).

He could not ever go back to his city.

He is the author of the ‘Divina Comedia’, and he is one of the fathers of the Italian modern language.

viddra's Profile Photo
May 21, 2007

Casa di Dante

It's actually unknown that if famous poet was born here or not. But he was living there as common belief. Building is coming from 13th century and using as museum dedicated to Dante nowadays. Museum includes his life and works. Lower rooms have got modern artworks and statues.

Karahan's Profile Photo
Jan 07, 2007

Under repairs

When I was there it was being repaired. His house was located behind my house (I lived in Via Del Corso) so I walked past it couple of times and went inside the church.

It looked pretty from outside so I recommand you to see it and let me know how it is from the inside!

stfan's Profile Photo
Dec 10, 2004

Dante's house - La casa di Dante

As I learned, the place known as the house of Dante Alighieri, the great medieval florentine writer, is actually a replica of the actual house that existed in the same place, where he was born and raised. Anyway, an important must-see, with a small museum dedicated to him.

Nov 23, 2002

Top 5 Florence Writers

croisbeauty's Profile Photo

fgfi's Profile Photo

ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

"My Relationship With Firenze"
brendareed's Profile Photo

"weekends in Florence"
mariocibelli's Profile Photo

"Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"

Casa di Dante

Why, it's a place where Dante Alighieri lived, isn't that sufficiently unique? I'm talking 'The Divine Comedy' here, containing that rollicking raucus romp, 'Inferno', plus those other two which most people (including me) haven't bothered to read. I had no idea Dante had lived in Florence until I came upon this bust sitting on the wall outside his house. I was compelled to enter, compelled I tell you!! Ok, so maybe it's not that great, but I'm a fan. Perhaps I'll move this to 'Off the Beaten Path.'

LowBrow's Profile Photo
Aug 26, 2002

Dante Alighieri

Dante is maybe the most important writer in Italy.
He wrote 'La Divina Commedia' and he is considered the 'Father' of italian language.

Azhut's Profile Photo
Nov 02, 2004

Dante Alighieri's House in Florence

The former home of poet Dante Aligheri, who wrote the famous Divine Comedy (Divina Commedia) is a small museum dedicated to Dante's works.

geeyook's Profile Photo
Jul 19, 2004

Dante the Great

About Dante,
I guess everyone who ever came in touch with Literature or even Philosophy ... I think he knows about the contribution of this great soul .

saras_naman's Profile Photo
Jul 06, 2004

Things To Do Near Casa Di Dante - Dante's House

Segway Tours

If you get the chance do a segway tour to see Florence. There were six of us in our party and we had our own guide. We had a great time and really enjoyed it - it made our weekend. The instruction on...

Loggia Dei Lanzi

part four of my tips with close up pictures of the various sculptures in the Loggia Dei Lanzi if you want to savor some of the Renaissance Sculptures and works of art for Free, then Head to the...

Palazzo Vecchio

The Palazzo Vecchio was the main Town Hall of Florence of which it lies along the Piazza Della Signora of which along the entrance sits the Copies of Michaelangelo's David (of which the original...

Climbing The Duomo

The first time we were here, years ago, we climbed to the top of the campanile, so this time we took on the Duomo. It is a daunting climb of about 460 steps, but you get interesting views inside a...

Il Duomo - Santa Maria del Fiore

Work on the new cathedral, begun in 1296, was interrupted in 1302 when Arnolfo di Cambio died. His place as masterbuilder was taken by Giotto, in 1334. Due to a social situation and certain natural...

Museo Palazzo Davanzati

The Palazzo Davanzati is an old Florentine home the belonged to a wealthy merchant family. Built back in the 1300s and now a museum, it gives you the idea of how the wealthy lived in Florence. The...

Getting to Casa Di Dante - Dante's House