Map &

From EUR8.00
Audio Guided Tour of the Leaning Tower Square or Pisa City Centre
From EUR5.00

Pickpokets Tips (16)

Gypsies alive and well in Pisa 2013 !!

The gypsies are in huge numbers in Pisa especially at the train station! Travelers are distracted usually rolling luggage along, reading signs and distracted with the noise and people. They are carrying all their money and valuables. This is a perfect time for thieves to strike. It is usually with a slight bump that can happen in a crowded setting. When I was in Pisa recently there seems to be swarms of immigrants who just hang at the train station. A new camera was stolen from me and I thought I was being careful. My career is in the travel industry and if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone. So please EVERYONE carry in layers putting your money, passport, airline tickets in your money belt concealed next to your body. Next, if you have to carry a purse or bag place it under your armpit tightly and place a hand on it when walking through the train station in PIsa, or really any crowded tourist destination in Italy. I wish Italy would get a handle on the gypsies but I won't hold my breath.
If something does happen to you report it to your embassy, hotel, tour operator or a travel web site to get the word out where it is most active.

Jul 24, 2013

Gypsies at Cofer Bar Train Station Pisa

When you arrive at the train station at Pisa, watch out for roma gypsies. They are just outside the train station. Whatever you do, do not go into the bar accross the square opposite the train station for something to drink or eat, it's called Cofer Bar!! They operate within that bar, the gypsies know the bar staff!! I know because I was robbed by them, some are dressed a bit normal like italians and they are in the bar scouting for targets, I had one next to me when I ordered inside and she definately knew all the bar staff so I thought she wasn't a gypsie, but I was a little worried because she did keep an eye on my purse. But again, because she knew the girl behind the bar I thought I was imagning things. I had my purse safe well within my case. I was travelling with my mum who is partially disabled and an old gyspie woman starting pushing my mum (how sad is that?!) so I had to help her. Before I knew it, it only takes a second with that lot, all your stuff is gone. Just keep all your valuables literally in your underwear or bottom of your backpack and don't stop at that bar and tell any desperado gyppo to you know what!!

Jul 29, 2012

Pickpockets on the buses

A trip to Tuscany was spoiled yesterday when my girlfriend's purse was stolen on the bus back to the airport. It's not as if we weren't aware of the dangers and what to look out for, but she realised that her purse was gone after a women with a baby in a sling bumped into her on the bus from the Tower to the airport. We assume the woman had seen my girlfriend take the bus tickets out of her purse and then put the purse back into her bag.
By the time we noticed she had gone, and even if we had caught her I suppose she would have passed the purse to an accomplice. Know where your valuables are at all times - these thieves are very good at their unpleasant business.

Oct 28, 2010

Be careful entering shops/stores

I was pickpocketed by three women as I entered a shop to buy water. I followed a woman holding a baby. As she was at the doorway, she stopped in her tracks. People crashed into me from behind and I was crushed between the woman ahead of me and those behind me. I should have been alert (and had a zippered money pouch in my front right pants pocket) but got careless. I ended up not buying water and when I was at the train station about 5 minutes later, realized I had my money pouch stolen.

Aug 23, 2009

Via Caduti del Lavoro, 46, Pisa, 56122, Italy
Via Risorgimento 42, Pisa, 56126, Italy
Viale Cascine 86, Pisa, 56122, Italy

Don't trust in ANYBODY

This happened to my sister: we were walking back to our bus when suddenly a young girl holding a baby and two other boys approached to my sister asking for money to feed the baby, but the girl put a big piece of cardboard above my sister's bag to take the wallet out while trying to distract her.
But fortunatelly some of out tourmates saw the two boys trying to steal and they yielded at us, that scared the thiefs and they just ran away. They actually took out the wallet but dropped it after our tourmates saved my sister! Be aware of any suspicious people, doesn't matter if they have babies, they use them to steal!!

cinthya_in_victoria's Profile Photo
Jan 03, 2009

On the train from florence to pisa we had a bold pregnant (well she looked pregnant but she may have been faking it for sentiment like most gypsies with babies and animals) gypsy girl come up to me and my friend. She tried to get us to give her our food and money and started kissing my friends legs and when we kept saying no she acted like she was going to spit on us. Then before walking off she smacked me hard with her knuckles on the top of my head! It was so suprising that I didnt know what to do. Then later when they came around to check tickets we realized she had stolen it! We were lucky that was all that she took and that the person checking let us stay on the train but make sure that you have nothing out that can be stolen and dont sleep on the trains!!!

Feb 03, 2007

Fake watches!

If u just enter in campo dei miracoli, u'll stand amoung a crowd of tourists and african sellers! please don't trust them!
they wanna sell u fake watches, like rolex, or different kind of gold, like rings or necklaces.
i recommend u to not buy them!
they wanna try to fake u at alltogether!
so, . . . . keep out!!!

alemir82's Profile Photo
Feb 20, 2006

A friend of mine his money was stolen by the Gypssy girl. He realised that his wallet been stolen and he comfront this gypssyirl who begging money from him ealier. According to my friend there's quite big amount in his wallet. He claimed that he want to report to the local police. This girl get anxious when she heard about he mentioend" Police". After 10minutes arguing and finally this girl giving back wallet to my friend. Just be alert while you hanging around in Italy athough i can't deny that it's beautiful country.

flying_dolphin7's Profile Photo
Dec 15, 2005
filipdebont's Profile Photo

"More then just the leaning tower"
globetrott's Profile Photo

"PISA is a lot more than just the leaning tower"
croisbeauty's Profile Photo

"Citta con torre ubbriacato"
Helga67's Profile Photo

"Pisa, gateway to Tuscany"
sue_stone's Profile Photo

"Beautiful Pisa"

Beware the Nun!!

In Pisa, beware of dodgy old ladies who look like nuns with bad backs, in long black shawls.

They are really young girls who will use their lower height (thanks to the bent back) to reach into your pocket.

Be alert, but not alarmed!!

huwhit's Profile Photo
Aug 24, 2005

Lookout for pickpockets on buses

My visit to Pisa was nearly ruined by an attempt by pickpockets to steal my wallet on the bus back to the airport. This gang operates around the bus stop just by the city walls as this is where the bus to the airport leaves from and their target is tourists laden with luggage and bags.

Fortunately, I instinctively felt something was dodgy about a couple of the characters hanging around the bus stop and was able to react when one of them made his move. These pickpockets work in two and threes but appear to be on their own until the last moment. For some reason the bus driver seemed to be letting them get on and off without showing any tickets. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of them to go with this tip. Be very careful.

datapanik's Profile Photo
Aug 22, 2005

Seedy Looking People Will Pickpocket You!!!

The only thing to see in Pisa is the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Go there and go back to wherever you are staying (Hopefully outside of Pisa!) If you stop at a shop be carefull of pickpockets! They have good prices on scarves and pashminas! There is a cafe by the train station that has the most delicious hot chocolate I have ever had. Don't stay long in Pisa!!!

Oct 26, 2003

Seedy Looking People Will Pickpocket You!!!

Oct 26, 2003

Things To Do Near Pisa

San Paolo a Ripa d'Arno

Yes, there is a whole other aspect to Pisa beyond the miracles of Piazza del Duomo. Unfortunately, along with countless other tourists, I never ventured in to explore the rest of city. For me, Pisa...
Things to Do

If you're visiting the Field of Miracles coming from the train station then you'll pretty much trip through the Corsa d'Italia. This is Pisa's main thoroughfare and offers a variety of shops,...

Camposanto Monumentale

The Camposante Monumentale is the old cemetery of the Piazza Dei Duomo and is located along the North West Part of the Complex. This complex was the latest to be made in the Piazza Dei Duomo area and...

The Tower

The Piazza Dei Duomo maybe a Unesco World Heritage site and is really beautifual work of art, but the singular structure that put Pisa on the World Map is the lowly Campanile (Belfry) of the...

Palazzo Reale

The Palazzo Reale was designed by Bernardo Buontalenti and built between 1583 and 1587 as the summer residence of the Medici family who would often spend time in Pisa when it got too hot to stay in...

Santa Maria della Spina

Built in 1230 this is one of italy's finest examples of gothic architecture. It sit right along the Arno river in Pisa. Although rather small and simple on the inside, the outside makes this worth a...

Getting to Pisa

We don't yet have an address for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!