San Gimignano Restaurants

by cpiers47
    by cpiers47

Most Recent Restaurants in San Gimignano

• Simoncusonnet's Profile Photo

Bar Piazzetta: Never go there !

by Simoncusonnet Written Apr 30, 2011

This is the worst Italian restaurant I went in. Overpriced, we ordered Panini's, the bread was stale, dry, and for 4 dl of coke in a glass, they charged 5€ !!! I put a picture of what I ordered with the picture that was on the menu.
    And the waiters were not friendly, I thought I was in Switzerland again ;-)

We paid for 1 pizza, 2 paninis and one Tuscany plate 3 cokes and 1/2 liter open wine 57€ !!!

Favorite Dish: NONE !

Address: Little place via San Matteo and 20 settembre

the picture - the reality !

• babettu's Profile Photo

Gelateria Di Piazza: The Ice Cream Champion

by babettu Updated Apr 4, 2011

This small but very popular Gelateria Di Piazza is very well known amongst locals and tourists for the best ice cream in Tuscany. The owner Sergio has won many competitions including the Gelato Del Mondo 2006-07 and 2008-09. On our visit there we saw pictures of famous people who have visited his gelateria. If you go there be sure to try out the pistachio flavoured ice cream, which is made from the finest Sicilian nuts !!!

Address: Piazza della Cisterna,453037 San Gimignano (Si)

Directions: Piazza della Cisterna

Phone: 0577942244

Gelateria Di Piazza Gelateria Di Piazza

• Das Nisio: Pizza free zone

by CWild Updated Apr 4, 2011

A short menu without pizza, a selection of any of the dishes was a positive delight to eat. The emphasis is on modern presentation and you aren't overwhelmed by the quantities - it is possible to eat four courses
    There is a huge wine list if you feel adventurous, but the wine from their vineyard was excellent
    The restaurant feels like it is outside with lovely views of the woods and hills, but you are inside and very comfortable if the weather turns wet or too hot

Favorite Dish: Basil sorbet with a savoury tart.
    Stuffed rabbit (vegtables are included with all main courses)
    Mixed selection of deserts (about 8 different items to sample)

Address: Sovestro 32

Directions: Outside the city gates (1 KM) on the road in from Poggibonsi. Near to the SITA bus stop

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Pasticceria Armando e Marcella: Best breakfast in town

by oriettaIT Written Feb 4, 2011

This bakery is on the main street Via San Giovanni. We met them because they own the Sangi Aparment were we slept so we had to come to the bakery to do the check in. We took a look and decided that was our breakfast place for the day after!
    They have a great variety of pastry and rolls and candies.
    We enjoied their cappuccino the morning after.
    We asked them and they also gave us a short tour of their kitchen-workshop where they create their products.

Address: VIA S.GIOVANNI, 88

Directions: In is on the left side of the street coming from the town wall

Phone: 0577941051

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Hotel Bel Soggiorno Restaurant: Pricey but excellent

by oriettaIT Updated Feb 4, 2011

We were looking for a good restaurant to celebrate and while we were walking around during the day we saw this one. It is in the very center, right on the main steet Via San Giovanni. We look at the menu that was a little expensive but interesting. We decided to try it and we went in and booked a table by the panoramic windows.
    At night when we arrived the dining room was almost full, it is nicely decorated with a cosy athmosphere, the panoramic windows offer a stunning view over the countryside, great daytime and very romantic at night with all the sparkling light.
    The service was excellent and professional, the selection of food and wine was adeguate to the restaurant level.
    Reservation is advised and they are closed on Wednesday

Favorite Dish: Unfortunally I cant recall what I had there, I just remember everything was delicious, I particulary remember the dessert.

Address: via San Giovanni, 91

Directions: Walking uphill from the city door it is on the right side of Via San Giovanni.

Website: http://www.pescille.it/belsoggiorno/ristorante_en.php

picture from their site

• Beppone - Ristorante Pizzeria: Beppone – off the mainstreet

by tosfan Updated May 6, 2010

You can’t visit Toscana without going to San Gimignano. A nice lovely little city. Pizzeria/ristorante Beppone is a place to eat and drink and stay for lunch or supper. There are two rooms in a cellar vault. And outsides you can enjoy a garden terrace.
    In the past years we have often eaten here. Now it's a new owner and we can't say anything about Prices, service and quality.
    For reaching Beppone you go from piazza St Agostino down via delle romite for 150 meters. From piazza cistern you go down via castello passing museum of torture. After a few steps at the end of the street turn left and go down via delle romite 200 meters. Both times you are standing at the entrance of Beppone.

Favorite Dish: In past my favourite pizza is “vegeteriana”.
    Because of changing of the owner I have taken off the detailed descriptions.

Address: San Gimignano, Via delle Romite 13

Directions: How to reach: see maintext

Phone: +39 577 943135

Website: http://www.beppone.net

• cpiers47's Profile Photo

Gelateria della Piazza: Top 5?

by cpiers47 Written Apr 17, 2008

An Italian friend who has traveled extensively listed this gelateria among his top 5 in the country. So, we piled in around 9:30 in the morning for a "breakfast" of gelato. The owner, Sergio, is friendly and welcoming and we loved the selection. Some tried the more adventurous flavors like saffron while others of us opted for the fruit.

Address: Piazza della Cisterna

Website: http://www.gelateriadipiazza.com/

• cpiers47's Profile Photo

Trattoria Chiribiri: Excellent Food

by cpiers47 Written Apr 17, 2008

This tiny trattoria hosted one of the best meals I had in Italy. There are only a few tables and the menu is limited, but I believe it changes on a regular basis. This meal was a chance to eat a few of the dishes more common in the Tuscan countryside. It was also a place where locals - and not as many tourists - came to eat. The atmosphere was fantastic.

Favorite Dish: The boar meat ravioli was phenomenal. Everything we tried was excellent because we ordered on the recommendation of the owner. He was marvelous and friendly.
    The second time I was in San Gimignano, it was before the trattoria was open and I could only snap pictures while salivated over the amazing aromas.

Address: Piazza della Madonna, 1, San Gimignano

Directions: Enter the city through the Porta San Giovanni entrance. It is almost immediately up a set of steps on your left.

Phone: 0577/941948

• IL Pino: Excellent authentic Tuscan cuisine

by Harvus Written Dec 11, 2006

This is by far one of the best restaurants in San Gimignano. I am a professional Chef who has lived and trained in Italy so I know my restaurants. The duck terrine appetizer with white truffle is amazing and the Wild Boar pappardelle is the best in Tuscany. Ask for Francesco, he is the General Manager, Owner, Chef etc.. He can recommend some great wines to round out your experience.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Gelateria di Piazza: Excellent Gelato

by sue_stone Written Nov 3, 2006

Sergio Dondoli has been churning out award winning ice cream in San Gimignano since 1992, and if you want to taste what all the fuss is about then head to Gelateria di Piazza and sample a scoop or two.

Gelateria di Piazza is located on Piazza della Cisterna. It is one of two gelateria's on the square, both of which where doing a roaring trade on the sunny day we visited.

Most days you will have a choice of 30-35 flavours, served up in a cone or small cup (I prefer the cup as you don't have to worry about losing any delicious gelato through it dripping away). Speciality flavours include Sorbetto alla Vernaccia (flavoured with the locally produced white wine), or Spumante and Grapefruit ice cream. They also serve up the usual favourites like chocolate and pistachio.

Favorite Dish: We had two scoops each - I had coffee and hazelnut flavours, and Alex had coffee and chocolate. It was good! Nice and creamy, with strong flavours.

We sat by the cisterna in the middle of the square, savouring our treat and deciding if we should go back for just one more scoop ;-)

Address: Piazza della Cisterna 4

Directions: On the western side of Piazza della Cisterna

Phone: 0577 942244

Website: http://www.gelateriadipiazza.com/

You'd be smiling too! Gelateria di Piazza Gelateria di Piazza

• 58Michele's Profile Photo

Il Beppone: Caveat emptor

by 58Michele Written Jun 5, 2005

Having dined on superb Italian cuisine for nearly a week we decided to try this restaurant out as it had a good pizza menu. The steak my husband ordered was as tough as an old boot and when he tried politely to explain in broken italian to the waitress that it was inedible we were told that it was too bad and he sat and watched while I ate my average pizza. We were then totally ignored by the waitress who had served us and were offered no alternative meal nor a simple apology.
    This was by no means our experience anywhere else where we ate excellent food with professional courteous service. An unfortunate blight on an otherwise excellent and beautiful week in San Gimignano!

Address: San Gimignano Tuscany Italy

• Helga67's Profile Photo

Gelateria di Piazza: The best icecream of Italy

by Helga67 Updated Jan 25, 2005

On Piazza del Cisterna you can have the best icecream of Italy. Gelateria di Piazza received a prize for its icecream.

Favorite Dish: They have all kinds of flavours from traditional to fruity icecream.

For a cone with three scoops you'll pay 2.5 EUR

Address: Piazza Cisterna 4, San Gimignano

Gelateria di Piazza

• myriam_c's Profile Photo

Ristorante Perucà: Huge wine list !

by myriam_c Updated Dec 19, 2004

A small and cozy restaurant situated in the renovated wine caves of an ancient palazzo. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful in explaining what was on the menu (and what I couldn't find in my dictionary). It was one of the few places that had fish (sea bass and swordfish) on its menu.

Favorite Dish: We really enjoyed watching the sommelier while he did the wine ceremony. We ordered a Chianti Classico for which he brought us special glasses. He poured a dash of the wine in my glass, turned it around for 20 seconds or so, poured the dash of wine in my partner's glass, also turned it around and finally poured the dash in an ordinary glass that he put aside to be taken away. Our glasses were now prepared for the wine.

On our next visit we ordered a different kind of wine, we got different glasses but the ceremony was the same.

Both times we got a free grappa after dinner, just as if we were old friends.

Address: Via Capassi 16, 53037 San Gimignano

Directions: City centre

Phone: +39 0577 943136

Website: http://www.peruca.net/index2a.html

Rist. Peruc��

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

Outside San Giovanni Gate

by micas_pt Written Dec 18, 2004

By the entrance door San Giovanni (on the outside) there are a few restaurants. We had lunch on one of them, as it wasn’t over crowded and had tables outside, allowing us to enjoy the wonderful sunny day and also watch San Gimignano and the people. I don’t recall how much we paid for the complete meal but I know it was around standard price as other restaurants in the area.

Favorite Dish: From our meal I’d highlight my salad which was very good, made with vegetables, olives, ham and buffalo mozzarella cheese - very tasty and ideal for a hot summer day. My husband also had a tasty meal: pork chops cooked with honey.

Houses by the Cathedral

• Helga67's Profile Photo

Enoteca diVinorum: Tasting the San Gimignano wines

by Helga67 Updated Dec 17, 2004

At street level you will only notice a wine shop but when going down into the cellar you will enter a lovely wine bar/lunch room. You can sit inside in the vaulted cellar or outside on a lovely inner courtyard.

In the wine bar you can taste about 20 different wines which are sold by glass.
    On the menu you will find typical Tuscan snacks like local cheese and lunch meat with ciabatta, bruschetta, delicious salads.

They are open from noon to 1 am.

Favorite Dish: They offer a special menu where you can taste two different vernaccia wines (one glass of each) together with a dish of local salami, ham and pecorino cheese.

Vernaccia is the local San Gimignano wine. It has a dry flavour, with a characteristically bitter aftertaste.

Address: Piazza Cisterna 30, San Gimignano

Directions: Centre

Phone: 0577 907192

Italian lunch

Instant Answers: San Gimignano

Comments

San Gimignano Restaurants

Reviews and photos of San Gimignano restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for San Gimignano sightseeing.

View all San Gimignano hotels