Map &

Venice Tour Including Gondola Ride
From EUR60.00
Venice Tour Including Gondola Ride
From EUR60.00

Markets and supermarkets Tips (22)

Seafood Markets: Feeling Fishy!?

Venice is the place to go to eat sea food - it is all so fabulous and fresh!

Whilst you are roaming around in Venice you will no doubt stumble across one of the fish markets dotted around the city. There is a large one early in the day in the Dorsoduro, and a few stalls can also be found in Campo Santa Margherita (where this picture was taken).

The main fish market or pescaria is located just near the Rialto bridge in San Polo. It has been in operation for 700 years!

sue_stone's Profile Photo
Apr 10, 2005

Even in Venice I needed to shop in a supermarket occasionally, as eating out a few times a day is just too expensive. We found three supermarkets:

- Billa, easy to find as it's on the way from the train station to San Marco. Just walk away from the station on the main street, cross a few bridges - I never counted them - and you'll find Billa on the left. Here you can see many tourists shopping and the cashiers all spoke some English.

- COOP, at Piazzale Roma. A lot less tourists, a very good cheese counter. The assistant there spoke no English at all, which was fun as I had to try and speak Italian. I got what I wanted, excellent pecorino for a picnic.

- Another supermarket, whose name I forgot. This one was near San Barnaba, the door was small and at first I didn't realize that it is a supermarket. I was the only tourist there and I didn't hear a single word of English.

If you need water, fruits or a joghurt, these supermarkets are a good way of saving some money.

christine.j's Profile Photo
Apr 11, 2007

Supermarket Billa: A rare supermarket in venice

One of the rare Supermarkets in Venice. The Chain Billa has 4, and this one is the most convenient to the center of the city and Rialto area. For basic food needs and water, you'll save a lot of money by stoping by here.

What to buy food and basic necesitities

What to pay More than average on the mainland, but better than any other options in Venice.

rubbersoul75's Profile Photo
Aug 30, 2006

Farmers’ markets everywhere

In case you stay in a rental apartment during your stay in Venice you will very likely cook dinner or lunch. It is exceptionally easy to find fresh produces all over in town.

The main fresh produces market is of course the one around Ponte Rialto but there are many small shops selling fruits and vegetables in each of the districts. And of course the farmer boats with fresh produces from Sant'Erasmo, the farm island in the lagoon. One of these boats can be found near Campo San Barnaba in Dorsoduro, another is located in the canal at the end of Via Garibaldi in eastern Castello. Sadly I never purchased at any of the boats because they are coming very early and this was when I was starting my walking tours. Next time I'll visit the city I make sure that I stay somewhere in eastern Castello, close to one of the boats.

Some prices I paid in 2007 to give you idea: 300 g rocket salad cost 1,60 Euro, 300 g of tomatoes cost 1,60 Euro, one thick bulb of garlic cost 0,50 Euro. I am almost sure that the prices are currently not more expensive.
By the way: if you ask for the goods, you might like to ask for the amount inItalian :-)
100 gram = 1 etto in Italian, etti are more 100 grams. So due etti are 200 g.

© Ingrid D., May 2007 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.). Update June 2015: wording.

Jun 19, 2015

S Polo 2344, Campo Sant'Agostin, Venice, Veneto, 30125, Italy
2606, S. Polo, Venice, Veneto, 30124, Italy
S. Polo 2889, Venice, Veneto, 30125, Italy

Bottega Verde and supermarkets

I already mentioned this in my packing list suggestion: if you run out of beauty goods you can easily fill stocks up in Bottega Verde, the Italian version of The Body Shop. I found one Bottega Verde shop in Strada Nuova nearby the traghetto stop. The prices were reasonable in May 2007 and I expect them to be similar as time passes by.
Bottega Verde
Location of the Bottga Verde shop in Venice, according to their website

During my twelve days in May 2007 I had the feeling that a great many small and large supermarkets are located throughout town. I found one of the Conad supermarkets in Strada Nuova, just before it continues into Vittorio Emanuele. Christine describes another Billa (now Conad) and a Coop close to the train station.

Close to where I stayed, near Campo Santi Giovanni e Paolo, was a supermarket called SuVe (Supermarket Venezia), small, but it had all I needed. I bought peperoncino there, Lavazza caffè, Barilla pasta, milk and water.

Prices in supermarkets are low compared to kiosks around the hotspots. Hence, in case you need to buy water, look for a supermarket where water bottle prices for 1 1/2 litres are less than 1 Euro.

Jun 18, 2015

Rialto Market and Pescheria

The Rialto Market is a nice outdoor market where fresh fruits and vegetables are traded. Despite of its relatively neigbourhood to the Rialto Bridge, it still doesn't seem to be overcrowded by tourists.

Just adjacent to the outdoor market the fish market (Peschiera) can be found. It is located in an old market hall.

The Rialto Market and the fish market (Peschiera) are held only 5 minutes on food from the Rialto Bridge. They are situated at Campo San Giacomo and Campo della Pescheria in the San Polo district.

HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
May 06, 2007

Fresh fruit market: Very taste and not expensive

In case you have bunch of children or you're just a fruit lover, buy fruits in Mestre or any other place in the surroundings of Venice. The prices you can find here are twice cheaper then in Venice, and the fruits are definetely fresher.

What to buy This is (see the picture) Easter offer, buy strawberry of course.

What to pay One single-box cost you 1 euro, two boxes one euro a piece, in case you buy three or more boxes, burgain the price.

croisbeauty's Profile Photo
Mar 30, 2005

Vegetables on the water, S Barnaba

In Venice all happens on boats on the canals, like the transportation and selling of goods. So we saw at the Campo S Barnaba this local vegetable market at the boats at the Rio de S Barnaba.

What to buy The local people bought here their vegetables like cauliflower and carrots.

sachara's Profile Photo
Apr 22, 2005
croisbeauty's Profile Photo

suvanki's Profile Photo

"Wandering around Venice with Suvanki"
Trekki's Profile Photo

"Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)"
Zvrlj's Profile Photo

"Venice – the City of Art"
sandysmith's Profile Photo

"Vacations in Venice"

SU.VE: Supermarket

I was pleased to find a supermarket fairly near to my hotel, so that I could stock up on a few snacks to eat in my room. My breakfast was quite basic , so i purchased some yogurts (1.20 euros for 4 pots) potato crisps (1.10 euros for a large packet) praline chocolate (3.50 euros) fruit juice (1.05 euro and 1.10 euros) clementines (3 euros) and a packet of biscuits (2.95 euros).

This supermarket also stocked a selection of wines, beers and spirits, cold meats, cheeses as well as tinned goods etc. There was also a selection of toiletries.

Some info on Supermarkets in Venice
Click Here

What to buy Drinks for your room, or to take home - probably a lot cheaper than at the airport

Crisps, chocolates, fruit, biscuits etc,

What to pay From less than 1 euro upwards.

suvanki's Profile Photo
Dec 08, 2008

Billa: Groceries

This one was on Zattere Fondamenta.
See the lady with the wheeled cart? That's the over-40-venetian-lady way. They even have hooks to hang them on in the store while you shop. (the carts, not the ladies)

There are a variety of smaller grocery shops too. We used a smaller one called 'Punta" in St. Margherita Campo a lot. The Punta charged a few cents for their grocery bags, so we learned to take them back to re-use. I can't remember if the Billa charged for bags...

What to buy Good food in the deli department way in the back of the store--search it out!

What to pay Cheaper than eating out every night.

Rhondaj's Profile Photo
Nov 06, 2006

Shopping for fruit: Hands Off!

Our host warned us that when we went shopping for fruit, not to touch it with our bare hands--a big NO, NO. Instead you tell the vendor what you want and they will bag it for you, or sometimes, especially in the grocery stores, there are plastic hand gloves for you to wear. Just look for the dispenser.

Rhondaj's Profile Photo
Nov 11, 2006

Rialto market: The market to be at!

We spent a lot of time in the Rialto market. This is an open-air market with some great shopping. We found all kinds of cool gifts- scarves, murano glass, jewelry, hand-bags, clothing and so much more. There is also a fresh fruit and flower market which is very visually stimulating!

What to buy Glass!

What to pay 5 euros to 50 euros

nyonnetti's Profile Photo
Dec 02, 2008

Things To Do in Venice

San Polo District - Sestiere San Polo

The church of San Giulian, commonly called San Zulian in Venetian dialect, is situated on the Merceria, the main shopping street of Venice. Originally it is structure from the 9th century but...

Canal Grande

this will be my pictures foe the night view of the grand canal The Grand Canal is the main artery of Venice that splits the city rougly into two halves and of which 4 bridges cross the grand canal at...

Ca' Pesaro

This is one of the many museums in Venice. Ca'Pesaro is the International Gallery of Modern Art and Oriental Art Museum in Venice (although I was not so much intrigued by their oriental collection...

Campo Santa Margherita

Piazzas are the happening centers here and there throughout the city. Some have less activity than others. This one was quite busy. I think because it was near the schools for the kids. We noticed...

Palazzo Grassi

The "Punta della Dogana" building has now been restored by the French billionaire François Pinault. A new museum opened on June 6, 2009 as new centre of contemporary art displaying artists from the...

Ca' Rezzonico

The baroque palazzo Ca' Rezzonico at the Canale Grande - with its striking facade of white marble - is one of the finest examples of Venice city palaces now open to the public. It was built in the...

Getting to Venice

We don't yet have an address for this Shopping. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Shopping. Help us improve our info!