Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

"Private Tour: San Polo Walking Tour - Merchants
"Private Tour: San Polo Walking Tour - Merchants Courtesans and Painters""In a city where west met the east exotic items like silk and oriental spices were traded along with copper and wood. Many of the courtesans lived in sumptuous apartments and were accomplished musicians and brilliant conversationalists. They were even secretly used as spies for the state.The second part of this tour allows you to admire the Gothic Frari church which dwarfs the eastern section of San Polo. Built by Franciscans in around 1250 it is one of the city's largest places of worship. You will admire its striking interior
From EUR37.00

Venice Like a Local: Private Walking Tour
"A secret walking tour that will allow you to know the best preserved and authentic face of the city: narrow streets and canals beautiful squares and churches.Discover the areas of the city less frequented by the bustle of tourists and experience the authentic Venice following routes more peculiar than the classic tourist tours. There are numerous examples of places that bridges and facades.The tour departs from the top middle section of Rialto Bridge and explore the secret spots of Rialto and San Polo area. The route can be customised according to your personal wishes."""Discover the authenticity of Venice and visit those hidden pathways and secret spots like a local. Explore the city's streets during this 2-hours walking tour with the help of knowledgeable local guide.title=Highlights&1=%3Cp%3E2-hour+private+walking+tour+of+Venice%3C%2Fp%3E&2=%3Cp%3ESee+the+hidden+side+of+Venice+only+locals+know%3C%2Fp%3E&3=%3Cp%3EGet+away+from+the+crowds+to+see+authentic+Venice%3C%2Fp%3E&4=%3Cp%3EChoose+a+morning+or+afternoon+tour%3C%""
From EUR250.00

"Private Tour: Venice Rialto Market
"Private Tour: Venice Rialto Market San Polo and Frari Church Walking Tour""Your first stop on this private walking tour is the Gothic church of the Frari in the San Polo area. You'll see exquisite artworks by Titian and Bellini as well as an imposing funeral monument by Canova.Next you'll explore the famous open-air Rialto fruit and fish market where local traders come to sing shout and sell their wares. The site of this historic market between Campo delle Beccarie and the Grand Canal was established more than 600 years ago. While St Mark's Square was the political center of Venice
From EUR36.00

Pigeons in Piazza San Marco Tips (50)

the famous Pigeons of Piazza San Marco

an attraction in themselves are the pigeons of Piazza San Marco as they are the unofficial mascots of the city of Venice since the middle ages and you would not find any pigeon dish in any of the restaurants near Piazza San Marco as they revere these birds and they even let them feed on leftover morsels from the unfinished food of the restaurant patrons on the al fresco chairs and tables. be Warned however they you are not allowed to feed the pigeons in Piazza San Marco as if the Police will catch you then you will be slapped with a 500 euro fine.

machomikemd's Profile Photo
machomikemd
Apr 01, 2016

One of my favorite thing to do when I'm In Venice

Feed the pigeons!

I love animals, maybe that's why, and like I said I've been to Venice 100 times, but feed the pigeons still amuses me! And now I have my daughter doing it with me, even more fun :-)

You can buy corn for a few Euros from stands in the middle of Piazza San Marco, (at least they still did last time I went).

Watch out, the are not scared, they will just land all over your body, it's a little bit the sensation the movie "the birds" from Alfred Hitchcock gives you...lol

Sienlu's Profile Photo
Sienlu
May 18, 2010

One of my favorite thing to do when I'm In Venice

Feed the pigeons!

Watch out, the are not scared, thewill just land all over your body, it's a little bit the sensation the movie "the birds" from Alfred Hitchcock gives you...lol

Sienlu's Profile Photo
Sienlu
May 18, 2010

pigeon poop

i don't see the draw of getting your photo taken with pigeons that are pooping on your clothes. no thanks. i will appreciate the church and it's detailed bas reliefs and paintings instead. breathtaking...unlike the stench of fatty bird poop.

rkearns's Profile Photo

San Polo 2542, Fondamenta Contarini, Venice, 30125, Italy
S Polo 2344, Campo Sant'Agostin, Venice, Veneto, 30125, Italy
2606, S. Polo, Venice, Veneto, 30124, Italy
S. Polo 2889, Venice, Veneto, 30125, Italy

Hitchcock had the right idea

Venetian pigeons are CRAZY!!!!

Well first of all they do not bother you, unless you purchase a little bag of corn nut for 1 euro. As soon as the birds see you walking up to the guy who sells them they will be ALL over you. Once the bag is empty they will leave you alone.

Oh watch out for Japanese tourist, they are scared to feed the birds (running the risk to get pooped on probably) but they will aggressively take picture of you being in the middle of it.

olgaehr's Profile Photo
olgaehr
Nov 20, 2007

Feeding the Pigeons!

I fed the birds. It was a cheap wonderful thrill. A bag of pigeon food, which is a mix of dried corn and bird seed, was 1 euro a bag. It is the same price at all the pigeon food stands. I was happy to spend 2 euro on bird food and spend far more time and enjoying the experince more then i had thought possible. I was equally thankful for hand sanatizer! Reapply liberally afterwards. I never thought of pigeons as being heavy, but they are. I was thankfully lucky to not get bombed by the pigeons. But if that happens, I am told it is best to let it dry, and then it will just flake off. If you try and clean it wet it will only smear. If it happens remember what goes in must come out, and though i was lucky to not get pigeon poop on me, i am sure feeding the pigeons sometimes makes them poop on you. Still it is way worth the risk!

ChartIt's Profile Photo
ChartIt
Aug 18, 2007

Pigeon World

St. Mark's Square - dubbed by our kids as "Pigeon World"

If you have kids and are on a budget a few pots of pigeon food and voila!

I'm a big animal lover but some of these pigeons really were filthy, dirty, deformed mutant pigeons... and that amount of pigeons... it only follows that you stand a better than most chance of being pooed upon! (and even if you aren't interested in feeding them there is no escaping them).

We whiled away a fair amount of time in the square feeding them and having them land all over us.... and the kids LOVED it and couldn't get enough and we had to drag them away (onto a gondola where they begged to go back to the pigeons!!!).

A great setting for practising one's hawking skills!

smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo
smirnofforiginal
Apr 21, 2007

Go pigeon crazy!!

I know most people hate pigeons and think they are gross, but you better get used to them if you travel to Italy! They are everywhere! You might as well get to know them...so why not feed them right in the middle of St. Mark's Square! Come on, it's really not that bad and highly amusing watching a friend getting attacked by the pigeons!

nicole47's Profile Photo
nicole47
Feb 07, 2007
croisbeauty's Profile Photo

croisbeauty

"Venezia"
suvanki's Profile Photo

suvanki

"Wandering around Venice with Suvanki"
Trekki's Profile Photo

Trekki

"Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)"
Zvrlj's Profile Photo

Zvrlj

"Venice – the City of Art"
sandysmith's Profile Photo

sandysmith

"Vacations in Venice"

Bird attack

Try to feed the pigeons at San Marco Square. But be carefull that if you feed tham on the morning when they are hungry, they are all attacking to you. Maybe its better to leave this experience to the afternoon hours as some of the pigeons did not care at all what you doing :)

yasi's Profile Photo
yasi
Nov 21, 2006

Pigeons

You can't visit the piazza without feeding the pigeons. It is really quite humorous to watch how timid people are at first and within 30 minutes are covered with pigeons, in addition to some other stuff. Our kids are entertained for hours feeding the pigeons. Bird seed is sold for 1 euro throughout the piazza and is the best money I've spent. The birds are much less timid later in the year. My daughters were very disappointed in April, when the pigeons did not cover them looking for food.

Make sure to bring some small vial of hand cleaner or sanitizer, as after all, birds are not the cleanest of animals

rcsparty's Profile Photo
rcsparty
Sep 21, 2006

Feed the Birds

When you get to St. Mark’s Square, you cannot miss the lovely little birdies flitting around. Rather, you can’t miss the tons of large, overfed pigeons covering the ground. For 1 euro you can purchase dried corn and feed the birds. While I’m sure this is a great time for kids, I passed on the opportunity and my girlfriends and I just tried to avoid being covered in bird doo.

Lhenne1's Profile Photo
Lhenne1
Sep 12, 2006

Pigeon Centrale

The Piazza San Marco was originally created in the 9th century as a small area in front of the original St Mark's Basilica. It was enlarged to its present size and shape in 1177, and encompasses the area including the Palace of the Doge and numerous shops and restaurants.

The Piazza is considered the center of Venice. Aside from state offices, it has been the seat of the archbishopric since the 19th century. Today, visitors can be treated to live music, a ton of pigeons and summer crowds…as well as a spectacular view of the Basilica and Palace.

Lhenne1's Profile Photo
Lhenne1
Sep 12, 2006

Things to Do Near Venice

San Polo District - Sestiere San Polo

The church of San Giulian, commonly called San Zulian in Venetian dialect, is situated on the Merceria, the main shopping street of Venice. Originally it is structure from the 9th century but...

Ca' Pesaro

This is one of the many museums in Venice. Ca'Pesaro is the International Gallery of Modern Art and Oriental Art Museum in Venice (although I was not so much intrigued by their oriental collection...

Canal Grande

this will be my pictures foe the night view of the grand canal The Grand Canal is the main artery of Venice that splits the city rougly into two halves and of which 4 bridges cross the grand canal at...

Campo Santa Margherita

Piazzas are the happening centers here and there throughout the city. Some have less activity than others. This one was quite busy. I think because it was near the schools for the kids. We noticed...

Palazzo Grassi

The "Punta della Dogana" building has now been restored by the French billionaire François Pinault. A new museum opened on June 6, 2009 as new centre of contemporary art displaying artists from the...

Ca' Rezzonico

The baroque palazzo Ca' Rezzonico at the Canale Grande - with its striking facade of white marble - is one of the finest examples of Venice city palaces now open to the public. It was built in the...

Getting to Venice

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map