Pigeons in Piazza San Marco, Venice

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

the famous Pigeons of Piazza San Marco

by machomikemd Written Apr 1, 2016

an attraction in themselves are the pigeons of Piazza San Marco as they are the unofficial mascots of the city of Venice since the middle ages and you would not find any pigeon dish in any of the restaurants near Piazza San Marco as they revere these birds and they even let them feed on leftover morsels from the unfinished food of the restaurant patrons on the al fresco chairs and tables. be Warned however they you are not allowed to feed the pigeons in Piazza San Marco as if the Police will catch you then you will be slapped with a 500 euro fine.

Address: Piazza San Marco. 30100 Venezia, Italy

Directions: Piazza San Marco. 30100 Venezia, Italy

• Architecture

• Sienlu's Profile Photo

One of my favorite thing to do when I'm In Venice

by Sienlu Updated May 18, 2010

Feed the pigeons!

I love animals, maybe that's why, and like I said I've been to Venice 100 times, but feed the pigeons still amuses me! And now I have my daughter doing it with me, even more fun :-)

You can buy corn for a few Euros from stands in the middle of Piazza San Marco, (at least they still did last time I went).

Watch out, the are not scared, they will just land all over your body, it's a little bit the sensation the movie "the birds" from Alfred Hitchcock gives you...lol

• Sienlu's Profile Photo

One of my favorite thing to do when I'm In Venice

by Sienlu Written May 18, 2010

Feed the pigeons!

Watch out, the are not scared, thewill just land all over your body, it's a little bit the sensation the movie "the birds" from Alfred Hitchcock gives you...lol

• rkearns's Profile Photo

pigeon poop

by rkearns Updated Sep 11, 2008

i don't see the draw of getting your photo taken with pigeons that are pooping on your clothes. no thanks. i will appreciate the church and it's detailed bas reliefs and paintings instead. breathtaking...unlike the stench of fatty bird poop.

• olgaehr's Profile Photo

Hitchcock had the right idea

by olgaehr Written Nov 20, 2007

Venetian pigeons are CRAZY!!!!

Well first of all they do not bother you, unless you purchase a little bag of corn nut for 1 euro. As soon as the birds see you walking up to the guy who sells them they will be ALL over you. Once the bag is empty they will leave you alone.

Oh watch out for Japanese tourist, they are scared to feed the birds (running the risk to get pooped on probably) but they will aggressively take picture of you being in the middle of it.

Don't poop on me please Don't poop on me please Getting attatched by birds and tourist pics

• ChartIt's Profile Photo

Feeding the Pigeons!

by ChartIt Written Aug 18, 2007

I fed the birds. It was a cheap wonderful thrill. A bag of pigeon food, which is a mix of dried corn and bird seed, was 1 euro a bag. It is the same price at all the pigeon food stands. I was happy to spend 2 euro on bird food and spend far more time and enjoying the experince more then i had thought possible. I was equally thankful for hand sanatizer! Reapply liberally afterwards. I never thought of pigeons as being heavy, but they are. I was thankfully lucky to not get bombed by the pigeons. But if that happens, I am told it is best to let it dry, and then it will just flake off. If you try and clean it wet it will only smear. If it happens remember what goes in must come out, and though i was lucky to not get pigeon poop on me, i am sure feeding the pigeons sometimes makes them poop on you. Still it is way worth the risk!

Directions: St Marks Square

me with 3 pigeons! children and example of pigeon food stall Other people with pigeons Me and a pigeon Me feeling like Sleeping Beauty with the pigeon

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Pigeon World

by smirnofforiginal Written Apr 21, 2007

St. Mark's Square - dubbed by our kids as "Pigeon World"

If you have kids and are on a budget a few pots of pigeon food and voila!

I'm a big animal lover but some of these pigeons really were filthy, dirty, deformed mutant pigeons... and that amount of pigeons... it only follows that you stand a better than most chance of being pooed upon! (and even if you aren't interested in feeding them there is no escaping them).

We whiled away a fair amount of time in the square feeding them and having them land all over us.... and the kids LOVED it and couldn't get enough and we had to drag them away (onto a gondola where they begged to go back to the pigeons!!!).

A great setting for practising one's hawking skills!

• nicole47's Profile Photo

Go pigeon crazy!!

by nicole47 Written Feb 7, 2007

I know most people hate pigeons and think they are gross, but you better get used to them if you travel to Italy! They are everywhere! You might as well get to know them...so why not feed them right in the middle of St. Mark's Square! Come on, it's really not that bad and highly amusing watching a friend getting attacked by the pigeons!

Address: St. Mark's Square/Doge's Palace

Directions: Just in front of Doge's Palace or in the middle of St. Mark's Square. Look for the vendors selling the pigeon food for 1 euro or so.

Me and the dreaded pigeons! My friend was terrified of them!

• yasi's Profile Photo

Bird attack

by yasi Written Nov 21, 2006

Try to feed the pigeons at San Marco Square. But be carefull that if you feed tham on the morning when they are hungry, they are all attacking to you. Maybe its better to leave this experience to the afternoon hours as some of the pigeons did not care at all what you doing :)

• rcsparty's Profile Photo

Pigeons

by rcsparty Updated Sep 21, 2006

You can't visit the piazza without feeding the pigeons. It is really quite humorous to watch how timid people are at first and within 30 minutes are covered with pigeons, in addition to some other stuff. Our kids are entertained for hours feeding the pigeons. Bird seed is sold for 1 euro throughout the piazza and is the best money I've spent. The birds are much less timid later in the year. My daughters were very disappointed in April, when the pigeons did not cover them looking for food.

Make sure to bring some small vial of hand cleaner or sanitizer, as after all, birds are not the cleanest of animals

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo

Feed the Birds

by Lhenne1 Written Sep 12, 2006

When you get to St. Mark’s Square, you cannot miss the lovely little birdies flitting around. Rather, you can’t miss the tons of large, overfed pigeons covering the ground. For 1 euro you can purchase dried corn and feed the birds. While I’m sure this is a great time for kids, I passed on the opportunity and my girlfriends and I just tried to avoid being covered in bird doo.

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo

Pigeon Centrale

by Lhenne1 Written Sep 12, 2006

The Piazza San Marco was originally created in the 9th century as a small area in front of the original St Mark's Basilica. It was enlarged to its present size and shape in 1177, and encompasses the area including the Palace of the Doge and numerous shops and restaurants.

The Piazza is considered the center of Venice. Aside from state offices, it has been the seat of the archbishopric since the 19th century. Today, visitors can be treated to live music, a ton of pigeons and summer crowds…as well as a spectacular view of the Basilica and Palace.

Piazza as seen from the grand canal

• susancallus's Profile Photo

Pigeons in Piazza San Marco

by susancallus Written Jun 16, 2006

Piazza San Marco is known as the most beautiful piazza in the world. But all the laugh I had was thanks to the pigeons in this wonderful piazza! I love pigeons and all type of birds and I wanted to take a photo while I was feeding them. My friend (which by the way took this photo) screamed and ran away from me as she seamed to be a little bit ubnormal! She is terrified from pigeons! Can you immagine her taking me this photo?! hahahaha Then she had to take me another photo (this time a serious one) .....but she used the zoom I think! hahahaha

Address: Piazza San Marco

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Feed the pigeons

by jessicadf Updated May 8, 2006

Okay, having pigeons climb and eat all over me is NOT my idea of a good time. I mean... yuck. But hey, lots of people seem to like it so if you're one of them, by all means, go for it! There are vendors in Piazza San Marco who sell pigeon food, and the pigeons will climb on you to eat the stuff. We saw one guy lie down and have his girlfriend cover him with the food, so he was quickly buried in pigeons. Ewwwwww.

If you're like me, of course, you can just go to Piazza San Marco and cringe as you watch the pigeon lovers.

A pigeon lover, but not too insane

• Nixter01's Profile Photo

Feeding Pigeons

by Nixter01 Written Feb 20, 2006

My other half wanted to do this although I did not relish the thought of cleaning pidgeon poo off his or my coat, but suprisingly they never did.
    You buy pigeon food for 10euros ( i think it was ) and next thing you are surrounded by millions of the things, its like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds !
    Great fun, and and quite amazing to watch

Directions: St. Marc's Square

Little girl feeding LOTS of pigeons ! And again Rich feeding them Never knew he was so popular with the birds ! nice style of hat Rich !
    • Museum Visits