Originally built in the 1st century BC. by Roman architect Lucio Vitruvio Cerdone, The arch celebrates the splendour of the important Roman Gavia family of Verona.
In 1805 the arch was dismantled by the French troops to enlarge the entrance to the town.
In 1932 the monument was re-assembled next to Castelvecchio where you can see it today.
This Roman arch stands in a small square overlooking the River Adige at the end of Corso Cavour to which it was transferred in 1930. Its original position was near the clock tower of the Castelvecchio, from where it was removed and incorporated in the medieval city walls.
Built in honor of Gavi, well known aristocratic family from Roman period, the Arch is work of L(ucius) Vitruvius L(uci) L(ibertus) Cerdo, as it is written on it.
As it can be seen in my photos, this beautiful monument from the ancient Roman culture is mutilate with some primitive scribblings by modern vandals. This arch has existed over 2000 years and resisted through the turbulent history but it buckled under the impact of modern barbarians.
Around mid 1st century A.D., The Arch was built to honour several members of the Gens Gavia, an illustrious family that may have been of Veronese origin. The site was chosen with care, on a road of great transit, the Postumia, at the margins of the plateau where the city could develop: the precise point where it rose is marked by a grey marble rectangle that is visible from the roadway. During medieval times the arch became a city gate and included the scala walls and Clock Tower of Castelvecchio. The entire base of the arch is under the level of the roadway, except for a corner that is visible from the castle moat. The Arch was one of the roman monuments of Verona that was most widely studied and admired during the renaissance. In 1805, the French Military Engineers decreed its demolition, to improve the transitability of the course of military mule trains. The Arch stones lay for decades piled first in Citadella Square and later under the Arena arches. Finally the Arch was rebuilt, with its authentic pieces, in 1932, alongside Castel vecchio and facing the Adige, not far from its original location.
The "gens Gavia" (or Gavi family) built it around the half of the first century, over the Postumia road, or the main road entering from the Emilia Romagna region from the Actual Porta Borsari (know as Jovia at Roman times, because it was near a temple of Jupiter).
It became a city gate during medieval times.
But hey! It's not over the Postumia (Actual Corso CAstelvecchio/Corso Cavour), now!
In fact it is in strange position. Crossing the arch you will fall into the river...
What happened? In 1805 the French Army (yes, Napoleon!) thought it was an obstacole to the circulation, and destroyed it. Luckily, the stones were recovered, and after long discussion, it was re-built in the actual position in 1932, using the original stone. There are a few doubts about the exact look, but the monument is mainly recovered.
The original position is marked by a stone "footstep" in the middle of the road near the SW corner of Castelvecchio
Picture #2 shows a piece of the original pavement of the ancient Postumia road (the rest is still in place, about 1 m below the actual road) that was moved with the arch
Commissioned by Verona's family Dei Gavi, the arch was built in the 1st century AD on the design of the architect Lucio Vitruvio Cerdo. Placed originally in the centre of the road that goes to Castelvecchio, it was relocated in 1933 and placed beside the castle looking out over the River Adige. Built entirely of local white limestone, it bears two inscriptions with the name of the builder, a fact very rare for Roman arches. Originally, in the niches on the fronts were inserted statues of characters that belonged to the Dei Gavi family.
Verona has its own triumphal arch from Roman times. It stands by Castelvecchio along the river but has been moved there from its original position as an entrance gate to the city at Corso Cavour. It was simply to dangerous for it to stand as a gate in Corso Cavour when invading forces came charging. This was discovered during the Napoleonic wars when the arch was damaged which is why it was moved in 1933 before the next possible battles.
In honour of the aristocratic family Gavi in first half of the first century A.D this Arc was built. It's located at the centre of the Piazzeta del Castelvecchio but this is not original location. Arc was taken down from it's original location in 1805 and again rebuilt in 1932.
Later it was transformed into one of the city gates and it's one of the rare examples of an honorary Roman arch dedicated to private citizens.
The Gavi Arch is the only remaining arch from the Roman times in Verona. It is situated at the end of Corso Cavour, right next to the Castelvecchio, where it was transferred in the first half of the 20th century. The original position of the arch was near the clocktower of the Castelvecchio. In 1705 it was broken up by the French.