The President of Moldova is elected every four years, and has been since 1992. The parliament elects a president, who functions as the head of state. The president appoints a prime minister as head of government
Presidents of the Republic of Moldova:
Mircea Snegur (1992-1996), Petru Lucinschi (1996-2001), Vladimir Voronin (2001- now).
The core of the socio-economic policy will be the combination of two central tasks:
- the achieved success fastening - stability of the national currency, containment of inflation with the simultaneous liquidation of negative social consequences of the financial policy, being followed;
- bringing into life the system, when both the benefits and inevitable negative aspects of the reforms were distributed fairly and proportionally;
- reorganization of the taxation system. First of all - strenthening of the justice principles: tax remissions should be granted, in the first turn, to the most unprotected strata of society. It is necessary to have the system of address advantages and grants, facilitating condition of the poor;
- all possible assistance to charity;
- reorganization of the state credit policy. First of all, money should be given to the economical structures, manufacturing goods and rendering services, capable to create new vacancies and actively struggle for the markets for production;
- urgent economic restructuring; it is necessary to have clear idea what branches and spheres of industry are able to produce competitive production, gain new markets;
- it is necessary to make every effort for the strenthening of the security services, especially, the army as a guarantor of keeping the domestic and foreign stability of the Republic;
- to assist, by all means, to increasing the living standards of state employees, workers of budgetary sphere;
- it is necessary to perfect the forms of the population self-organization, development of all the structures of self-governing, foreseen by law.