Map &

Been here?
Rate it
chevron_left

chevron_right

Canal Boat Tours Tips (52)

Best Canal Cruise in Amsterdam

Favorite thing A canal cruise while in Amsterdam is mandatory, but the size of the boat you ride in and canal's you cruise down are not.

The St. Nicolaas Boat Club offers a canal cruise on a boat that will hold around ten people, has no glass top, and can maneuver through canals the big boats cannot navigate. You sign up for the ride at Boom Chicago in the Leidseplein, which is a fabulous part of Amsterdam and you should be there anyway, as far as I'm concerned. They are rather casual about the whole thing, completely unlike the very business-like, glass-covered, tourist-filled canal boats you find along the Damrak.

Your pilot will ask what you would like to see. We glided past the tourists waiting in line to get in the Anne Frank's house then wound our way through small canals lined with houseboats lined with potted flowers in full bloom-a definitive riot of color. We passed houses with tiny patios facing the canals.

You are welcome to bring refreshments and your favorite intoxicant along - Looza, Oranjina, Heineken, Super Silver Haze. It is an altogether refreshing, relaxing way to see Amsterdam.

Fondest memory Amsterdam is as much a part of me as my own home town. I feel about it as Gertrude Stein did of Paris. I fell completely in love with Amsterdam the first day and now have a burning desire to live there for a little while during my lifetime.

To pick a best memory would be like picking a favorite child. Was it lovely dinners with my B&B host? Was it the energy I discovered in the Leidseplein? Was it the acceptance I got that I didn't even know I needed when I sat in my first coffeeshop? Was it the trees lining the canals with their bright green leaves and dark bark? The list of fond memories is lenghthy; I cannot pick a fondest.

Melodee50's Profile Photo
Melodee50
May 31, 2008

Quaint bridges all over the place!

Favorite thing Water and the construction of many bridges have been of vital importance to Amsterdam’s development over the years. Along the banks of the river Amstel a city developed that heavily depended on the water for its survival, for defense, trade and to drink. It is often called the Venice of the North, and with good reason!

Your get Wooden Girder Bridges, Brick Arched Bridges, Movable Bridges and Iron and Steel Leaf Bridges. All used at different times for different things, changing with the times and development. All add to the character and charm that is Amsterdam.

Fondest memory One of my fondest looks here is when you look straight on at a bridge and see so many other bridges in your vision at the same time down the canal.

Jenniflower's Profile Photo
Jenniflower
Apr 17, 2006

Comfortable boat travel :)

Favorite thing This part of Amsterdam is endearing. We loved the river life of the canals, seeing people go about their business - one boat had a lady sitting on an actual SOFA in their boat whilst hubby was rowing away... haha... It looked out of place, but at least she was comfortable :)

Jenniflower's Profile Photo
Jenniflower
Mar 14, 2006

Canal Boat Tours

Favorite thing A canal tour is a great way to start viewing the city and it's probably the best approach to Amsterdam. After all the city was founded and has developed around its canals and there's nothing like a boat trip to give you a feel of Amsterdam. There are lots of places to board the canal tours, several cruise companies that run tours and many different itineraries to choose from. We took ours from across the Centraal Station, where there were boat tours departing every hour. I don't remember how much we payed but it was worth it. They had an English-speaking guide who gave good information about the city. The tour allows you to see most of the highlights of the city. It does feel a bit like mass tourism at first but as soon as you start seeing the beautiful houses that line the canals and the boat-houses and the bridges you'll start enjoying the experience.

Andraf's Profile Photo

Singel 416, 1016 AK, 1016 AK
Rokin 104, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 KZ, The Netherlands
Rokin 154-156, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 LE, The Netherlands

Canal boat departure place

Favorite thing Amsterdam is famous with its canals and a boat tour in the canals is a must do..

However due to on going extensions of the metro line, Canal boats are now leaving from a different place..

So all canal boat companies near the central station is temporarily closed..

Erkmen's Profile Photo
Erkmen
Dec 07, 2004

A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE

Fondest memory I took this as the canal boat passed the end of this canal and we got a great view under all the bridges - cetainly a different view than you get from just walking around. Plus its a nice relaxing way to pass the time!

Mar 25, 2004

canal tour

Fondest memory In the past there was not enough living accomodation for the inhabitants of Amsterdam that is why the city of Amsterdam legalize living at houseboats.
Each of the houseboats has their own mailadres and each of them are conected to electricity.

canal tour/warehouses

Favorite thing Lots of warehouses along the canal, canal boats supply them with their goods in the old days.
They call these two warehouses, father and son.
If you look very closely at this picture you see the low iron gates to prevent the cars from falling into the canal.

Top 5 Amsterdam Writers

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
"MY BIRTHPLACE"
jo104's Profile Photo
"God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
"Amsterdam - I love it!"
ATLC's Profile Photo
"Amsterdam, is it real?"
Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo
"Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"

canal tour

Fondest memory sailing along those beautiful canal houses, made me wonder how this all looked like during the old days.
Women dressed in beautiful long dresses wearing the most fancy hats. Coaches riding at the narrow streets along the canals.

canal tour

Fondest memory Amsterdam counts 100 canals with a length of 100 km span by 1000 bridges.
I think the most famous of these bridges is the "magere brug" show in my front page.
In 1963 Amsterdam put a lot of iron gates along the canals to protect cars from falling in the water, however they can't prevent that at least once a week a car ride into one of the canals.

CANAL CRUISES

Favorite thing TAKE A CANAL CRUISE

Fondest memory This was me just before the canal cruise set off. It was really nice to see Amsterdam from that perspective and its fairly inexpensive so I would recommend it to anyone with a little time to kill in the city.

Mar 14, 2004

LOTS TO DO

Favorite thing Take a canal cruise and also ride on a tram or visit Anne Franks House. There is a whole stack of museums of one kind or another from the sex and erotica museums to the art museums - The Van Gogh museum, The Rijks museum - the Hash museum (apparently this often has gaps in its exhibits as the police often raid it!!), the Heineken Brewery etc

Fondest memory I love the beautiful canals and the unusual buildings that line them.

Feb 08, 2004

Things To Do Near Canal Boat Tours

Things to do
Officially dedicated to St Francis Xavier, De Krijtberg is another Catholic church in Amsterdam. The actual elegant Neogothic edifice was constructed in 1883 by the architect Alfred Tepe. The church's...
Things to do
New Year's is certainly not the season to visit a flower market, so Bloemenmarkt was not super exciting when I was there in late December 2014. There were definitely flowers being sold along with...
Things to do
The Begijnhof - Beguinage in Amsterdam is certainly a pleasant and quiet part of the old city but as a beguinage I felt surprised by the architectural heterogeneity of this ensemble! Maybe I am too...
Things to do
Allard Pierson Museum is the archaeological museum of the University of Amsterdam. The museum is housed in a nice classical building formerly from the Nederlandsche Bank. Allard Pierson was a...
Things to do
Biblical Museum. Located on Herengracht in a group of stately mansions called the Cromhouthuizen. I was impressed by their collection of Bibles, and the model of the Temple Mount. "Archaeological...
Things to do
If you're into shopping, you might want to check out this street. There are plenty of shops here selling so many things for men and women. The only traffic here are tourists! Lots of them. In fact,...

Getting to Canal Boat Tours

Address

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this General. Help us improve our info!

Map