Map &

Amsterdam City Center Private Historical Walking Tour
From EUR105.00

GreenHouse Tips (3)

Greenhouse Tolstraat: One of the older, original and classy coffeeshops

Note: This tip is for older, first-time visitors who may be curious but possibly apprehensive about coffeeshops.
Greenhouse Tolstraat is more expensive and a little more "formal" than most, so if you're a hardcore channelite, etc. you know to skip this tip entirely. Audience for this tip is for the uninitiated.

October 12 2001

For a more laid-back, mellow, "upscale" coffeehouse experience (best for 1rst-time "mature" travellers), take a cab or tram from Amsterdam Centrum to the "old south" (Oud Zuid) section of Amsterdam to the Original Greenhouse on Tolstraat.
There are 2 other Greenhouse locations that are closer to city center, but this is the original and (imho) the best.... worth the cab ride.

Here's a MAP of the Oud Sud Greenhouse (my fave).

Excellent atmosphere/ambience with good music (mellow yet cool funk/jazz, but not elevator music), top quality cannibis products, served by a helpful staff.

The dealer and waitress make good recommendations, provide efficient yet inexpensive glass pipes & round up screens;

as well as bring drinks to the table in the very cool and comfortable lounge (they serve alcohol as well), chat customers up with friendly conversation, yet allow privacy.
They will even call a cab (a friendly/helpful driver they know personally) for a ride back to your hotel.
A perfect, first-time night out at a Dam coffeehouse.

Dress Code As always in Amsterdam, clothing is sometimes optional but usually recommended.

Seriously, the more "local" you appear, & the less brash & touristy you behave, the friendlier the service.

Haven't been there in a couple of years, but back then some highlights were:

Hashish: King Hassan Supreme, Manali Creme - Greenhouse Ice
Weed: Kali or Super Kali Mist (good sativa), Great White Shark; AK47 Super Lemon Haze
Greenhouse Tolstraat is a little more expensive than most coffeeshops, but for first-time, more mature travellers, it is (imho) one of the larger (most coffeeshops are tiny) cleaner, classier shops and a great introduction to the Amsterdam coffeehouse scene. (Later on you can do Picasso, grey area, Anyday, Siberie, Dampkrig/Dutch Flowers/Tweede Kamer (the big 3 in the Spui) etc. etc. ad infinitum if coffeeshops are your scene... (I find them tedious after a while).

davequ's Profile Photo
Apr 24, 2010

Lost and wandering: Get lost in Amsterdam at night

My first night in Amsterdam in mid October 2001, after getting a taxi back from the original Greenhouse at Tolstraat 91 in the old south, I got out of the cab and even though I was probably only a 1/2 block from my hotel, I was smashed

I made a wrong turn down one of the narrow streets in the city center and immediately got lost.

It was an excellent introduction to Amsterdam, wandering around late at night, knowing I was close to my hotel and having a fairly good idea where I was, but still getting lost as I walked around the Dam area, Red Lite, Nieuwendijk, Jordaan, and up/down Damrak.

Amsterdam centraal is an old part of the city with such interesting little streets and original architecture, it was almost a disappointment when I accidently found my hotel.

It would be hard for me to get lost there now as I know the city so much better, but I recommend it if you have never been there before.

Picture upper-left for laughs is of an almost deserted Nieuwendijk late after midnight, pasteled & blurred in the spirit of a controlled substance

Dress Code Pants

davequ's Profile Photo
Dec 18, 2009

Coffeeshops: GreenHouse and t'Smoesie

Almost right beside each other the GreenHouse and t'Smoesie coffeeshops are located near the Waterlooplien.

Dress Code Casual