Well known and very popular with locals and tourists and eveyone in between!!! This place is heaving in the evenings!!! It is great fun and on a Thursday night's there's live Irish music.
Dress Code: Wear what you like!
Directions: Grachtengordel South
There are a good few Irish pubs here in this town. Some of them have a more authentic feel than others (Hoopmans/Reijnders/Hole in the Wall megapub on Leidseplein isn't exactly an original), but even a new place like Aran on Max Euweplein can be great craic with the right staff and live band!
Here follows a list which isn't comprehensive (yet), but gives a good overview anyway:
- "Mulligan's", Amstel 100. Very cosy and one of the 'original' Irish pubs in the city. Great live sessions. Check out their website for more!
- "Tara", Rokin 89. Very nice and BIG Irish bar with some fantastic details and lots of nooks and snugs to have a relaxed evening and because of this the place doesn't feel crowded even when it's very busy. Popular with students from the nearby UvA. Also features live music and pool tables.
- "O'Reilly's", Paleisstraat 103-5. More catering towards mass entertainment: big screens, DJ features prominently and the bar is huge. Was good fun on Paddy's Day, though!
- "Durty Nelly's", Warmoesstraat 117. Not just a pub, but also a hostel. How very convenient! Not prententious at all, which explains its popularity with the Irish travellers and locals alike.
- "Aran", Max Euweplein 73. Great bar, very modern but excellent live music! Upstairs is very alternative (yet good fun!) and the Irishness is shed almost completely.
- "Dan Murphy's", Leidseplein 24. Of all Irish pubs on the square, this one's the best. Features all kinds of clientele but at least it looks the most authentic.
- "O'Donnell's", Ferd. Bolstraat 5. Again one of many pubs on a square, but it looks good and has a great selection of beers on draught!
Dress Code: No dress code, come as you are (well, within limits of course!)
Directions: All over town, see the places above.
A good Irish pub is Mulligan's, at the Amstel river (behind Rembrandtsplein). It is pretty small and cosy, and has live music very often. It is not so crowded and touristy as the Tara (although that one I love too).