Map &

Amsterdam Walking Tour Including Dutch Snacks and Optional Canal Cruise
From EUR20.00
Amsterdam City Center Private Historical Walking Tour
From EUR105.00

Canals & Boat Tours Tips (30)

Amstel River

Go North to the REMBRANDT PLEIN; through the HALVE MAAN STEEG to the AMSTEL river. At Amstel 100 you'll find AMSTEL ANTIQUES, a shop half filled with records. The owner is selling records on Saturdays at the nearby Waterlooplein market.

Goto the East and cross the river via the BLAUWBRUG. Go along the city hall (STOPERA) to the WATERLOOPLEIN market.

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
Aug 09, 2014

Have lunch at Wilhelminadok

Cross the 'IJ' behind the central station with the 'ijplein'-ferry. When you get off, walk along the waterside to the east (right) untill you arrive at the orange building called 'wilhelminadok' to enjoy a lunch, watching the ships sail in and out. A lovely way to spend a sunny afternoon without the hustle of tourists in the centre.

Golambers's Profile Photo
Feb 14, 2010

Take a Self-Guided Walking Tour

Carry a picnic lunch and find a quiet place to eat and rest up half way through a self-guided walking tour of the maze of streets, canal rings and canalhouses that make up this fantastic city. The canal boats are appealing to some, but if you don't want to struggle to understand your "English-speaking" guide's accent above the harbor and boat noise and the yak of fellow travelers who also can't hear/understand - then by all means travel at your own pace and see Amsterdam up close and personal. Get a good guidebook and save the hard earned euros, learn a lot more, and have way more fun. Here's a link for a walking tour of the Western Canal Ring

MonicaLouise's Profile Photo
Oct 01, 2007

A Walk in Amsterdam

Amsterdam is a city that beckons visitors to look around corners and into shops, streets, and alleys. Everything changes wherever one looks. Not only is Amsterdam a beautiful city to visit, it is a wonderful city to explore. Here are just a few self-explanatory examples. I wish I could put in the photographs I took on a short one hour walk going from Centraal Station along Damrak Straat to the main square. There are endless possibilities in every direction.

flyingscot4's Profile Photo

Spuistraat 288-292, Amsterdam, 1012 VX, The Netherlands
Singel 416, 1016 AK, 1016 AK
Rokin 104, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 KZ, The Netherlands
Rokin 154-156, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 LE, The Netherlands

explore canal house interiors and gardens

Go to places where a normal tourist doesn't go! Explore the world behind the facades of canal houses. Find unique Dutch private interiors with antique or surprising modern furniture. See the year round interesting gardens, coach, summer or alms houses. More info and pictures on

amsterdamgarden's Profile Photo
Dec 14, 2006

Boom Chicago Canal Cruise

For those of us who prefer not to feel like tourists while visiting other countries, those big, commercial canal boat cruises on the Damrak and throughout Amsterdam just don't attract. But leaving Amsterdam without having cruised the canals seems wrong somehow. During my first visit to Amsterdam my host Marcel (of Marcel's Creative Exchange Bed & Breakfast fame) suggested that I go to Boom Chicago on the Leidseplein and take their boat cruise. Wow, what a nice alternative.

The pilot asked us where we'd like to go; big canals or little canals. The ride cost around 10 euro and we, all ten of us, were encouraged to smoke and drink whatever our hearts desired. Of the ten people who filled our little boat there were Spaniards, Danes, Americans, and Norweigians represented. Contributions to the good time included Heineken, joints, and interesting conversation. Some of the best photos of my vacation were taken on that ride.

Of course, this is for warmer weather because the boat is not glass covered. But I highly recommend this ride.

Melodee50's Profile Photo
Dec 06, 2006

Rrrrrrreeiiigggerrrrrrrrrrr :))

Our houseboat was situated on the Singel Canal and we quickly discovered that this was the territory of a resident Heron who would frequently circle the area, sometimes actually landing on our roof but mostly preferring to watch the world and the other ducks go by from his little blue and white boat. To my surprise Herons are remarkably common in Nl, even in the centre of Amsterdam.

Oct 26, 2006

Architecture, Amsterdam has a dazzling variety

Amsterdam's main architecture is found along the canals. The huge variety in canalhouses will leave most architecture lover breathless and added the many other architectural styles within the town, makes it a sheer impossibility to enjoy all of it. Actually, the mixture of styles also has something chaotic, another side that Amsterdam is (in)famous for. Anyway, enjoy the buildings as they are and look up time and time again to not miss anything.

Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo
Nov 12, 2005

Top 5 Amsterdam Writers

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

jo104's Profile Photo

"God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"

"Amsterdam - I love it!"
ATLC's Profile Photo

"Amsterdam, is it real?"
Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

"Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"

Play Chicken in the Water

This is a cool ride to take, I was kind of hungover when I took it. The boat was real clean and the other passengers were friendly. I would recommend this little day tour to anyone. I can't remember how much it was but it was cheap. A good place to hop on the boat ride down the street from the train station. Pictures to come later.

BoogRiver's Profile Photo
Aug 18, 2005

You'll see these characteristic drawbridges anywhere in Amsterdam. And yep, they still open its bridge-doors to let boats pass through. Usually made of wood you'll find other materials, too. It is a readily painted area and famous painters (Vincent Van Gogh 1883) has immortalized these drawbridges ...

RoyJava's Profile Photo
Aug 06, 2005

A canal cruise on your own.

Instead of doing a canal cruise on the regular big canalboats, its much nicer to rent a boat yourself. For example Classic Canal Charters offers authentic, comfortable ships. Small and bigger ones, for 2 persons until for 100 persons
They can arrange the catering but you can also bring your own wine and food.
Rental includes skipper and that's good because they know the Amsterdam canals the best.

Charlotte121's Profile Photo
Oct 05, 2004

Magere Brug, or skinny bridge - at night only

The Magere Brug, or skinny bridge (because it was so narrow when originally built only one person could cross at a time) on the Amstel river does not make an impression if you go in the daytime.

Apparently it is lit with hundreds of tiny lights at night which makes it look really beautiful. We learnt about it after we left Amsterdam - so make sure you go there when it's dark.

May 28, 2004

Things To Do in Amsterdam

De Krijtberg

Officially dedicated to St Francis Xavier, De Krijtberg is another Catholic church in Amsterdam. The actual elegant Neogothic edifice was constructed in 1883 by the architect Alfred Tepe. The church's...

Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt

New Year's is certainly not the season to visit a flower market, so Bloemenmarkt was not super exciting when I was there in late December 2014. There were definitely flowers being sold along with...

Begijnhof - The Wooden House

The Begijnhof - Beguinage in Amsterdam is certainly a pleasant and quiet part of the old city but as a beguinage I felt surprised by the architectural heterogeneity of this ensemble! Maybe I am too...

Allard Pierson Museum

Allard Pierson Museum is the archaeological museum of the University of Amsterdam. The museum is housed in a nice classical building formerly from the Nederlandsche Bank. Allard Pierson was a...

Bijbels Museum

Biblical Museum. Located on Herengracht in a group of stately mansions called the Cromhouthuizen. I was impressed by their collection of Bibles, and the model of the Temple Mount. "Archaeological...
Things to do

If you're into shopping, you might want to check out this street. There are plenty of shops here selling so many things for men and women. The only traffic here are tourists! Lots of them. In fact,...

Getting to Amsterdam

We don't yet have an address for this Off The Beaten Path. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Off The Beaten Path. Help us improve our info!