Map &

From EUR20.00
Amsterdam City Center Private Historical Walking Tour
From EUR105.00

Grey Area Tips (3)

Grey Area... when only the best will do.

As far as coffeeshops go in Amsterdam, Grey Area is about as good as it gets. They have a small, but potent menu. If you wish to smoke in the big leagues, the Grey Area is the place to go. From the Dam, (Dam Square), walk to the Mozes en Aronstraat and continue past the famous Royal Palace. Cross and go right on the street behind the Royal Palace, Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal. Turn left at the first straat on your left-hand side Molsteeg. Now cross the Spuistraat, and walk straight through on Torensteeg. Cross the Singel over the bridge and enter the straat that you are facing now, the Oude Leliestraat.
You will find Grey Area on the right-hand side of the straat at Oude Leliestraat 2. Looking at the picture, the building on the corner at left is Puccini Chocolates.

MBDVB's Profile Photo
Jan 18, 2004

Coffeeshop as a state of social growth

I have also made 7 visits to Amsterdam since 2005. I just plain love coffeeshops. I will mention a few of my favorite ones. These are the coffeeshops that I generall visit on a trip, which for me is only 2-3 days or so.

Abraxas gets a young hip crowd, but I do not feel out of place. I have had long conversations with people there on the second floor. The layout is very conducive to chatting with strangers. Often I will simply ask what they are smoking. The normalcy of the coffeeshop situation is what entices me to visit as many as I can on my trips to Amsterdam.

I like Sieberie a lot. I usually meet a couple of friends there from previous visits. I particularly like the loose teas that they have, A huge variety. Amnesia as well very close by, Grey Area I will pop by. I like the cluster effect of this area in terms of the coffeeshops, the beautiful canals and shops.

Katsu is an all time favorite. For years, I craves the Crystal Clear there. I still do, but I have found ways to procure high quality weed in any number of ways there. I usually do some shopping browsing on the way there in the Albert Cuyp market.

Central Coffeeshop. Some say they don't have great weed but this is not so. I have had their excellent cheese recently in May it was 11E a gram and on a par with the top weeds in the city. Perhaps there is a lack of ambiance as it has the feel of a busy take out bakery or somethng. Still, it's the first place you can get to off the Central Station, not Grasshopper as has been posted.

On Warmostaart, I like the whole bunch as well, Hunters, Hill St. Blues, Coin, up to Bluebird. This is a nice stroll.

Near the Waterlooplein is the Greenhouse Effect. The Waterlooplein has a very nice flea market.

Kadinsky is nice as well. I generally avoid the ones on crowded streets especially near the RLD but sometimes on a cold day especially these are nice.

I like the Rasta and Double Rasta ones mostly for the Reggae music. they have decent weed. Several along Haarlemerstradt, usually I will hit Barneys as well.

If I can fit it in, I like to get to some near the Leidesplein. there is one that is Carriben oriented, real simple and scruffy dive looking. it is right off the stop before the Leidesplein on the tram. I will try to update with the name. That area was my first place I stayed in 2005, a friends apartment for the weekend, it was beyond awesome staying in such luxury.

Sep 18, 2008

Well, am not sure if this is...

Well, am not sure if this is off the beaten path or not, but here goes. I'm sure everyone knows that smoking marijuana is legal--although I was told that selling is illegal...hmm...then how does anyone get it? Coffee shops full of smokers and special tea drinkers and special cake eaters abound.

hajin's Profile Photo