Canal Boat Tours, Amsterdam

by Maryimelda

• balhannah's Profile Photo

CANAL BOAT TOUR

by balhannah Updated Jun 19, 2016

The Canal Boat Tour.......The tour that nearly everybody does!
    I wasn't going to do it, but was told it was a "must" by Dutch people I know - I really don't think it is a must.

I didn't think much of it as most of the sights I had already seen through doing a lot of walking, also, taking photos through the rounded glass made it very hard to get good results. I had already walked nearly all the areas it went and had good views of the canals by standing in the centre of a bridge, not much different to being on the boat.
    I feel, if you have seen a lot when walking the city, then don't bother with the tour.
    If you have arrived and haven't done anything yet, then go for it and get a feel for the city.

It was Ok that was all.
    I went with the tour company by Central Station.

COST in 2016 = 16 euros.

Leave it up to you to decide!

Address: Near Central station, Amsterdam

Directions: There are lots of Canal Boat tours dotted all around Amsterdam.

Sights on the canal boat tour

• A NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE

by AlessandroS2 Written Oct 12, 2015

On Aug 20th my family and I were visiting Amsterdam, and decided to enjoy the canal cruise by Lovers Canal Cruises. When we bought the tickets, nobody informed us that a part of the canals would be closed during the day, nor anybody informed us when we boarded the boat, nor when we left it at the first stop. The result was that, when we returned to the boat stop, we had to wait more than two hours under the sunshine until the next boat arrived. We asked for a partial reinbursement (at least the two extra hours we had to pay for the car parking), but they did not even consider our request. VERY ARROGANT AND NOT CONSUMER ORIENTED. I DON'T RECOMMEND THEM. THERE ARE ENOUGH ALTERNATIVE TOURS

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Most Famous Way to See Amsterdam

by machomikemd Written Oct 5, 2015

Amsterdam is a Port City made of various Canals that lie perpendicular to the Main Harbor as such the most popular activity and best way to experience Amsterdam is to ride a Canal Tour in and around Amsterdam. of which there are more than 200 kinds of canal boats that the different canal tour companies offer which tourist go for a stroll around the canals of Amsterdam. These Canal Boats offer general half day or 1 hour tours in and around the famous canals of which you can see the various attractions in and around Amsterdam from the Canals. Some offer dinner and romantic night cruise and buffet lunch as well and cocktail parties as the canal boats can sit from 40 to 80 people (depends on the boat length (the boat width however is constant so that the canal boats can go through the various bridges that line the canals.

A standard 1 hour ride along the Amsterdam Canals start at 15 Euros per person including kids and if coupled with a buffet dinner or cocktails, will cost 35 euros and up per person. the canal boat tours The main pier and docking area of the Canal Boats is along Amsterdam Centraal, along Stationplein and Prins Kendrikkade Street. Different canal boats start their tours at 9:00 am up to 10:00 pm.

• black_mimi99's Profile Photo

Canals and Boats

by black_mimi99 Written Aug 23, 2015

Amsterdam known for it's canals and bridges and of course the boats too, where there are 2,500 houseboats just in Amsterdam. So, beside walking to enjoy this city, we can take a tour along the canals with boats that offer different price, and also we can rent boat and drive by our own too.

Canals and Boats

• gwn_joelle's Profile Photo

Tour 'de Grachten'

by gwn_joelle Updated Aug 3, 2015

When I went to Amsterdam to do a boat tour I went with my exchange students from India. It was the first I ever went to Amsterdam for real. I went to Amsterdam before, but just for concerts or Schiphol Airport, but never really into Amsterdam the city itself so it was a new experience for myself too!

But if you ever go to Amsterdam you either have to book an organized boat tour with a guide or you can hire a boat somewhere and you go exploring the 'grachten' by yourself

Add to your Trip Planner
  • Rent your own private boat!

by Amsterdammer1 Written May 13, 2015

The best way to see Amsterdam is taking your own boat out, so you can see the canals in your own time and pace.
    We rented a boat at www.canalmotorboats.com and it is the best thing to see Amsterdam from the water, forget the big tourist boats. Simple and easy booking online and they got pillows and blankets and also a map of the canals, to easy and lots of fun.

• breughel's Profile Photo

Cruise boats.

by breughel Updated Mar 24, 2015

It happened that the Bleu Boats cruises were at moorings in front of my hotel near the Leidseplein.
    From a cruise years ago I remember that as these boats are low on water, so that they can pass under the bridges, the view on the houses along the canals is not best. The first thing one sees are the walls of the quays and the cars parked on these quays. You have to stand and strain your neck to see something of the city especially on the smaller canals called "grachten".
    You will see more of the city by walking along the canals. But I admit that when it rains the boat is more comfortable.

The dinner cruise of 2 1/2 hour is priced at 67,50 € per person for a 4 course meal with drinks included.
    I cannot tell you if the announced "culinary highlights" are really highlights or not.

In the evening I used to drink a beer at the terrace on the Singel Gracht and it seemed that the best way of cruising on the Amsterdam canals was to get some friends having their own boat.

Blue Boats mooring near Holland Casino. Preparing the tables for a dinner cruise. The Bleu Boat dinner cruise. Private cruise.

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo

Canal Boat Tour

by MichaelFalk1969 Updated Oct 24, 2014

Amsterdam is defined by its waterways, so it is only fitting to see the city from a boat. There are plenty of tour operators, who usually offer 1 hour round trips for a price between 10-15 €. Often, an audiosystem allows you to follow the explanation of a guide in your language of choice via headphones. When choosing a boat, I would advise to book an "open boat"-tour or at last a partly open roof as photography though the windows can be tricky. Departure times can vary, but are usually every half-hour in summer season and every hour in winter season.

Boat Tour Amsterdam

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Get your bearings with a Canal Cruise

by Maryimelda Written Oct 5, 2014

I think that a canal cruise is very important for first timers in Amsterdam. There is so much to see and learn about hence it makes a great introduction to the city. I think that the pretty houses and stately buildings are delightful. You will usually get an audio guide in most languages as well which is vital to the entire exercise.

Cruises are regular and not too expensive.

• Photography

• draguza's Profile Photo

CANAL BOAT TOURS

by draguza Written Aug 5, 2014

Pleasure boating
    In the summertime, the canals can still be dense with sailing traffic. Strictly pleasure-cruising, privately and commercially.
    15000 pleasure boats are registered in Amsterdam and the city is a favourite destination for private yachts from Germany and France. Eight local marina's serve their needs and two big new ones are under construction. A few times a year, at big events like the Queen's Day and the Gay Parade, traffic jams on the canals can get quite serious. Rest assured that on an average day, canal-tour boats dominate the scene on the usually quiet waterways.
    Canal Cruises
    An Amsterdam Canal Cruise is most popular tourist attraction in the country. A diverse fleet of around 200 tour boats carry more than 3 million passengers a year, offering a waterborne variety of almost every form of entertainment that's available in Amsterdam.
    Canal Cruises Amsterdam
    From an intimate exclusive candlelight dinner with five star service on an antique ‘Saloonboat’ to Canal buses, Theatre Cruises and Disco Dances with Deejays and live music on party-ships.
    Boat Rental
    If you want to explore the canals on your own, there are two options. One is to work for your mileage on a pedal-boat. Canal Company (www.canal.nl) has 200 of them available at 5 locations. Or you can experience the silent leisure of an electrically powered sloop.

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo

Canal Boat Tours, Amsterdam, Holland

by TrendsetterME Written Jun 16, 2013

In Amsterdam, there are so many companies that organise canal boat tours which leave from the piers of the Damrak Street close by to the central railway station.

The history of Amsterdam is intimately connected with water. Its 165 canals were created over the centuries to stimulate trade and transport and reclaim land to expand the city. They continue define the city’s landscape and in 2010 Amsterdam's canal ring was recognized as a UNESCO world heritage site.

Besides providing a stunning backdrop to the city’s historical centre, floating down Amsterdam’s canals is one of the most memorable ways to discover the city. Whether you’re a first-time or frequent visitor, everything in Amsterdam seems a bit more magical when viewed from a boat.

I love to explore Amsterdam every time mostly by foot as walking, to see narrow streets and so, but besides, from the boat on the canal, you can catch more details rather than being on the land to see and to photograph ...

Its a "must to do" for Amsterdam ... :)

Canal Boat Tours, Amsterdam, Holland Canal Boat Tours, Amsterdam, Holland Canal Boat Tours, Amsterdam, Holland Canal Boat Tours, Amsterdam, Holland Canal Boat Tours, Amsterdam, Holland

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Rainy day boat trip

by Nemorino Updated Jun 9, 2013

As in Strasbourg, an interesting rainy day activity in Amsterdam is to take a boat trip around the city.

I call it a rainy day activity because when the weather is nice you will obviously prefer to be out cycling rather than just sitting in a boat.

There are several companies that do canal boat tours, leaving from the piers at the street called Damrak near the central station. I took a tour by a company called Rederij Plas, which was fine but I have no way of knowing if it was better or worse than any of the other tours.

As in Strasbourg, I was the only person on the boat who had a map and was following along to keep track of where we were going. I am always amazed that nobody else does this, as one of the main purposes of such a tour is to start getting oriented and start learning your way around.

At thirty-five different places on the tour there were recorded commentaries in Dutch, German, French and English, which were fun because I could try to understand some of the Dutch (which I have never learned, but can sometimes figure out from German and English), and then use the other three languages to see if I was right.

Second photo: The Central Railway Station and Smits Koffiehuis, which is a fancy restaurant and not a "Coffee Shop".

Third photo: One of the Seven Bridges.

Fourth photo: The opera house in the rain, as seen from the tour boat.

Fifth photo: One of the tourist boats going past the opera house (not on the same day, obviously).

Website: http://www.rederijplas.nl/

1. On the tour boat, passing another one 2. Central Railway station and Smits Koffiehuis 3. One of the Seven Bridges 4. Stopera in the rain from the boat 5. Tour boat going past the opera house

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Hop On Hop Off Canal Boat

by grandmaR Written Mar 18, 2013

I figured the hop-on-hop-off canal trips wouldn't start too early (they actually started at 0915) so I didn't push too hard to wake up. When we got to the Central train station, I bought us tickets on the boat. They did not believe that my granddaughter was only 12 and she did not have her passport with her so I had to get her the 13-17 ticket which was 8 euros instead of free. We got on the boat that was there which was the Green line. Since it was a nice day, the glass cover was not on the boat and taking photos was easy We got off at the museum stop to go to the Van Gogh museum.

Coming back to the canal, we went the other way around the Rembrandt museum this time but we had just missed a boat so we had to wait. The boat that came was the red line, and I did not realize that what they did was the green line left from the west terminal and went around to the east terminal in an anti-clockwise direction. When it got to the east terminal, it was re-incarnated as the red line, which went clockwise (on different canals) to the west terminal. The only way to get from east to west was by walking. ACK

There was so much construction at the Central station that it was hard to find our way. We went the wrong way at least once as the directions were - go across two bridges and turn right, and we didn't find the second bridge right away because all the construction hid it. At one point my granddaughter said to me " If I was having as much trouble as you are, I would have given up by now"

Eventually we found it and got on the red line boat which was next. I had really wanted to ride the blue line which starts AND stops at the same place, doing a complete circuit. So we got off at the City Hall stop and waited for the Blue Line. I had thought we'd get off at City Hall again and take the red line to the Rembrandt stop and get on the green line and complete that, but my granddaughter was tired, so I gave up and got off at the end of the blue line about 1640

Address: Central Station

Website: http://www.viator.com/tours/Amsterdam/Amsterdam-Canal-Bus-Hop-On-Hop-Off/d525-2544CANAL01

Map of the canal boat routes from their website Another boat Denizen of the canal Inside of Boat with the cover off in good weather

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Amsterdam Canal Tour On A Rainy Day

by Mikebb Updated Dec 9, 2012

Canal tours are a good method of viewing any city, especially if you are short of time or experience a problem with walking.
    I usually prefer to walk as that gives me control of how long I linger at an interesting sight. Furthermore in general photographs taken whilst walking are better as the image is not distorted by the glass roof of the boat.
    However the day we took out tour it was raining and walking was ruled out. Dry within the boat, a good commentary and some very interesting craft on the canals made this an enjoyable hour. The canal boat passed many historic buildings which were now used by families, widows and doors open onto the canal let us have a close up view of the living room.
    The canal tour also highlighted the huge number of bridges over the canals, often less than 100 metres apart and usually surrounded by numerous bikes.
    Indeed it was a nice way to spend a few hours on a rainy day.

Address: Amsterdam Canals

Website: http://www.grayline.com/Amsterdam/Hop_On_Hop_Off_Canal_Cruise_24_Hour_Ticket

Grayline Canal Boat Tour - Office & Wharf Canal Tour Boat Inside The Canal Tour Boat View Into Living Room - Canal Boat Tour Buildings Canal Side.

• al2401's Profile Photo

The canals of Amsterdam

by al2401 Written Sep 18, 2012

Amsterdam is famous for its canals and what better way of seeing them than from a boat. You also get a different aspect of the city from the water. Many people choose to live in houseboats.

There are many tour boats available.

Houseboat on the canals in Amsterdam
    • Photography