Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Amsterdam City Center Private Historical Walking Tour
"Once you meet your private guide at a designated meeting point you will head off to explore some of the little-known secrets of this city: the quaint quiet corners; tranquil tree-lined plazas and private courtyards. Your guide will also share priceless tips helpful advice and cultural insights bringing an insider´s expertise to your visit to Amsterdam.On the tour you will see: the Dam Square Wester & Old Church & Hidden Churches
From EUR105.00

Amsterdam Private Bike Tour with a Local
"Meet your private guide near Amsterdam Centraal Station at a time convenient to you. Then hop onto your bike and head into the city to begin your cycling tour. Widely considered among Europe’s most cycle-friendly cities Amsterdam is a wonderful place to explore by bike!Pedal along seemingly endless cycle lanes through diverse districts such as Chinatown the Jewish District Jordaan and Nieuwmarkt and admire the striking architecture for which the city is famous.During your tour take in popular landmarks including the Houten Huys — the oldest house in Amsterdam — the Nationale Opera & Ballet and the 17th-century Trippenhuis
From EUR35.00

Private Amsterdam Highlights and Hidden Gems Walking Tour with a Local
"Enjoy Amsterdam to its fullest during your private highlights tour with a twist. Your local guide will amaze you with all the hidden gems of this city; they’re just around the corner of all the must-visits. But they are kept away from the touristy crowds with a reason.  Wander past all famous monuments while you get to know all historical facts and unique local insights about them. And of course we’ve also taken care of your appetite by including a Dam Square and the previously mentioned famous Flowermarket. But what’s best about this tour is those unique places they take you to. A beautiful hidden chapel  one of the best sandwich you’ll ever have and an gigantic statue near Rembrandts house that most people don’t know of. This is the plan:Meeting Point: BeurspleinStop 1:Walk around the famous Dam SquareStop 2:Visit a bea""Visit Amsterdam’s beautiful highlights during your private tour of the city while discovering hidden local spots along the way with your local guide! Get to know the history and stories of the city like a local.   title=Highlights&1=Private%2C+3-hour+walking+tour+of+Amsterdam&2=Learn+the+fascinating+history+behind+the+city%27s+famous+landmarks&3=Stroll+through+the+beautiful+Flower+Market&4=Visit+a+hidden+medieval+chapel+in+the+Begijnhof&5=Savor+a+favorite+local+sna
From EUR25.00

Red Light District Tips (41)

NO PHOTOS!

When walking around Red light District you will see signs NO PHOTOS. Take them seriously unless you run really fast :) If you try to take photos of the girls in the RLD, you are just calling for your camera to get smashed (if not yourself).

Umea6's Profile Photo
Umea6
Oct 05, 2003

RLD - Be Streetwise, always thinking....

RLD - weird and crazy people, we went against the grain and walked around pissed due to an all dayer.. But then of course, We're streetwise....some fit birds in the windows, some mingers too, we saw the fattest ugliest minger in one of the windows, think u had to pay her. 50 euros for 10-15 mins Roman lost his belt to one and returned to us 20 mins later saying nothing happened!! the tentacled man was chucked out of one of the girls windows for dancing.. rude man Nistelrooy bared his arse to trippers on a boat in broad daylight... we all indulged, a special mention to Roman for his whoring on sat night, one he pulled in his own right.. no fee. (fat scouser)other two then a trip to planet pluto for half a day when i left them for mere 2 hours...

As it was said "one of the finest displays
of sin and debauchery it has ever been my fortune to witness" we did it all....we shall return to see the sights next time...

8_tentacled_man
Aug 27, 2003

The Red Light District

Semi negative vibes from the red light district. I'm going to have to agree with exitableone. There are alot of drug dealers around the red light district. I probably declined like an average of 10 times a day so 10 times 7-days will equal 70 no's. Don't get me wrong deffinatley visit the place, there are so many places that are worth visiting in that part of the region such as the Cannabis College, hash museum, and the Bush doctors head shop where they contain some amazing glass peices not worth buying but deffinatly worth feasting your eyes.

Whitewidow21's Profile Photo
Whitewidow21
May 07, 2004

If you don't want to be beaten..

Ok, it may seem an obvious remark, but it works for stupid people like me!!
So, don't try to take a picture (or even worse, to shoot!) of Red Light Districts' Stars! Don't even think about that or they will start crying and beating on their french doors! :P
Yes, I'm that stupid! :D

Singel 416, 1016 AK, 1016 AK
Rokin 104, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 KZ, The Netherlands
Rokin 154-156, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 LE, The Netherlands

Mind Your Manners

take a picture of the girls in the windows in the red light district at your own risk.Cameras are forbidden and if anyone catches you, they will either confisicate or destroy your camera.The same rules apply In the sex theatre.Also if you think this rule applies only to your camera think again.the same rule applies to Mobile Phones.
If you do decide to meet one of these girls in the window be polite,Dont forget that these girls are making a living and wont accept any abuse.Although you cant always see them a massive bodyguard always has his eyes on the girls.

bobsreturn2004's Profile Photo
bobsreturn2004
Apr 17, 2005

Keep the camera in the case

Photographing Amsterdam during the day or night can get a tourist carried away capturing this vibrant city. However, there are sections of the city that photographs are not wise during the evening hours. This pertains to the famous (or infamous depending on your perspective) Red Light District. DO NOT attempt to photograph the girls in their stalls as they and their handlers do not appreciate it.

Agraichen's Profile Photo
Agraichen
Mar 18, 2014

RDL by night

I've seen some comments here that say that "don't go to RDL at night" and so on.. Well, I must say that wether you're a guy or a girl the only way to relly experience the RDL is at night. Hell, you don't even see those oh-so-famous lights during daytime. I've been to this great city for a couple of times and I do not find it dangerous. Amsterdam is propably one of the safest cities I've been to around the world consideing its' size and reputation.

But as it's been said here a lot of times, do not take pictures in RDL. If you want to take pictures of this area, try to do it during day but I would consider that too.. In any case don't take pictures of the girls in the windows unless you're happen to hold world record in 400m dash. There are signs telling you not to take pictures and believe them. And keep in mind that these girls are working, how would you like people coming to your work place to take pictures? I know I wouldn't. And even though many people think that these girls are illegal immigrants that's not quite true. Since prostitution is legal in Holland and prostitutes have to pay taxes it means most of them are registered some way. And there girls are required to be tested for STDs regurlary so they're clean too. Of course you have to use a condom (I haven't used these services myself but I know this is true) and why wouldn't you. Most of the people are smart enough to use a condom every time they're having se with a stranger and this is not an exception.

There are also a lot of people walking around the streets in RDL and most of them are tourists, so it is pretty safe place and there is nothing to be worried about. I've been to smallest and darkest allies in the RDL and I didn't find even them dangerous. Use your common sense and you'll be fine. If you're walking around the place drunk as hell and stoned you're an easy target for anyone. But I still don't find Amsterdam dangerous and none of the people I know who's been to Amsterdam have ever experienced any violence, and I know a lot of people who've visited the city.

And if you don't like weed and judge smoking it, don't go to Amsterdam. Especially in the RDL the smell of weed is unbelieveble! All you smell is weed smoke. I don't mean that you need to be a smoker to go to Amsterdam, but if you're against it I'd suggest you to go somewhere else or to stay at home. Travel safe!

SameFIN
Mar 26, 2008

Don't use you camera!

As you can see, I don't have a photo from Red lights district. I remember what happened to a guy who tried to take a photo of a girl sitting in a shop window. She stepped out, grab his camera, took out the film and smash it before crowd of curious tourists. I don't think you are looking for such an embarassment so keep your camera away when walking RL district and take it serious!

SnoopySue's Profile Photo

pieter_jan_v

"MY BIRTHPLACE"
jo104's Profile Photo

jo104

"God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"

Mariajoy

"Amsterdam - I love it!"
ATLC's Profile Photo

ATLC

"Amsterdam, is it real?"
Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

Pavlik_NL

"Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"

Cool tour: Redlight District tour

Wanna explore the Redlight District area in Amsterdam on a safe way? Take a guided tour! Haha, that's right, they give tours in this area.
I've beeen in Amsterdam this weekend and bought a tour at: www.amsterdamredlightdistricttour.com

It was very informative, funny and most of all..it was safe!!

marcel12345
Apr 26, 2011

Red light district, thieves

The red light district is certainly an interesting walking tour. My advice is to do it with friends, or during the daylight hours.

I was walking around at about 7pm, when a guy came up and told me to give him all of my money. I looked him in the eye and told him to get lost. He proceeded to grab my arm. For his troubles I ended up breaking his nose. I was a welterweight boxer in my youth (so I do not look intimidating, as I am not tall, and fairly thin), so he just picked the wrong guy. He had 2 friends hanging back watching this, and when they saw this happen, they first tried to come towards me. I dropped my jacket to the floor, put up my fists, and started dancing around with a little boxing ring footwork. I dont think my reaction was what they intended. The loser with the broken nose who thought it a good idea to grab me started to get up off the floor. I decided he should stay down until the police came. They arrested him, and told me I shouldnt have hit him. They were polite, and a little amused, but still felt strongly that I should have just screamed. I dislike thieves. I really dont care for thieves who want to prey on me. Getting physical was probably stupid, but I know how rare guns are in Holland, so I gambled. You shouldnt do this though. Just dont go over there alone, looking like a total gawking tourist, at 10pm. It was my mistake.

sofwareguy
Mar 09, 2007

Red Light District

During my short stay in Amsterdam the Red Light District was very "entertaining". Girls in the windows, guys bold enough to make deals, friends laughing nervously, couples smiling, and the tour groups made up of all kinds being shown the business of skin made the district quite an experience.
There were drug dealers a plenty which are easy to ignore and continue walking but what I couldn't believe was witnessing a drug deal go bad. Two guys were buying something from a dealer and were upset that what they wanted is not what they got. A bit of arguing for a minute and then the dealer gave the money back and the parties shook hands! What?
I am certainly not condoning drug use or the ease in which to get it in Amsterdam, I'm just pointing out the friendly attitude of the city, even in the "darkest places."

draguza's Profile Photo
draguza
Sep 21, 2006

You'll want to take a look at...

You'll want to take a look at the red light district, but once you have seen it get out of there. It's especially intimidating during the daytime and we found that the best way to deal with the pushers was to ignore them.

eurotravels
Sep 08, 2002

Things to Do Near Amsterdam

De Krijtberg

Officially dedicated to St Francis Xavier, De Krijtberg is another Catholic church in Amsterdam. The actual elegant Neogothic edifice was constructed in 1883 by the architect Alfred Tepe. The church's...

Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt

New Year's is certainly not the season to visit a flower market, so Bloemenmarkt was not super exciting when I was there in late December 2014. There were definitely flowers being sold along with...

Begijnhof - The Wooden House

The Begijnhof - Beguinage in Amsterdam is certainly a pleasant and quiet part of the old city but as a beguinage I felt surprised by the architectural heterogeneity of this ensemble! Maybe I am too...

Allard Pierson Museum

Allard Pierson Museum is the archaeological museum of the University of Amsterdam. The museum is housed in a nice classical building formerly from the Nederlandsche Bank. Allard Pierson was a...

Bijbels Museum

Biblical Museum. Located on Herengracht in a group of stately mansions called the Cromhouthuizen. I was impressed by their collection of Bibles, and the model of the Temple Mount. "Archaeological...

Kalverstraat

If you're into shopping, you might want to check out this street. There are plenty of shops here selling so many things for men and women. The only traffic here are tourists! Lots of them. In fact,...

Getting to Amsterdam

Address

Amsterdam

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

Map