More Safety Tips in Porto

• Warnings and Dangers
    by Roadquill
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by Roadquill
    He may appear harmless, but...
    by King_Golo

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Porto

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

Dog poo everywhere

by King_Golo Written Aug 19, 2014

Porto's main drawback is - imho - the dirt on the streets. There's dog poo everywhere - on the streets, the plazas, the pavements, even in the parks. I've hardly seen a dirtier city. So mind your step wherever you walk, and don't just sit on the grass but check it for men's best friend's legacies first!

He may appear harmless, but...

• antistar's Profile Photo

Getting Lost

by antistar Updated Dec 15, 2013

Porto, like Lisbon, is a bloody maze in places. I gave up on some of the architecture walks because I just couldn't find the places marked on the map. Roads just disappeared, replaced by staircases or brick walls, and I'd often end up facing in a very different direction to the one I thought I was. Some of the streets look identical to an untrained eye, and I repeatedly thought I had made a certain, known, area and turned out to be somewhere else altogether. Throwing away the maps and acting on instinct helped immensely, but didn't allow me to find anything that I was looking for specifically, and so I often had to rely on luck or persistent searching.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Well Fed Pigeons

by Roadquill Written Dec 19, 2012

The obvious problem with well fed pigeons is not the feeding, but the result after the digestive process. This woman thought it was her lot in life to provide bread to these flying rats so that they could then fly around and decorate who or what my be in their line of fire. An interesting interaction between another local and this feeder of flying rats occured as a woman got off the bus and verbally berated the "feeder' who then countered with her own verbal barrage. Too bad she couldn't get any of the pideons to do their part in the battle. But it was entertaining.

• Photography

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Steps to the River Front

by Roadquill Written Dec 19, 2012

Actually we considered this a good problem. The steps down to the river front shops and restaurants are steep and plentiful. It made for a good work out, but also one has to realize that you don't just bop on down to the river. Going back up is going to be work. This could be a sports tip.

• Photography

• Redang's Profile Photo

The Porto Bug

by Redang Updated Feb 3, 2012

Once in Porto, beware of the Porto Bug. This harmful little animal can bite you and contaminate for the rest of your life, so, be careful. And not to mention if you are “unlucky” to meet the great people from the city as I did, then, you will want to go back to Porto time and again!

PS: This tip is dedicated to the “evil” inhabitants of Porto.

Notice: Obvioulsy, it's a joke; I mean that visiting Porto could be like a drug, you can't give up going there again and again and again.......

Porto (Portugal)

• DAO's Profile Photo

CONMEN IN THE STREET

by DAO Updated Jan 4, 2010

You are looking at a conman. There are 2 types in Porto. The most prevalent are the 'Car Parking Helpers'. They stand in the only empty car parking space for miles and wave you in. As you get out of your car they will ask for a car parking fee. Maybe just a donation for 'helping'. They are beggars. Many are drunks, on drugs and/or crazy. Be careful - they can damage your car. Make a show of no money and ask where the bank is. That should do the trick. If they follow you to the bank, ask the bank to call the Police.

The second kind? He's they guy in the first 2 pictures. He comes running up like he has an emergency and asks if you speak English. Act like you don't. I found this guy scary. He was convincing BOTH times he ran at me. Once in the morning, once in the evening. Ladies be alert! He is a conman at best and possibly even a dangerous robber - or worse.

Just remember 1 rule - never make friends in any street. Anywhere.

• Women's Travel

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Steep streets

by suvanki Updated Oct 13, 2009

Some of the streets in Porto are very steep - OK walking down, but can be a bit of a problem for anyone with breathing difficulties walking back up. Also can be a problem for anyone with mobility problems.
    Also the pavements can be uneven in places, so take care when sightseeing/taking photos. Stop first then look up/ take your shot.

One of Portos steep streets!
    • Disabilities
    • Seniors

• Turska's Profile Photo

Climate

by Turska Written Jul 25, 2009

I don´t know is this right place,but there was not enough room for this in packing list.And this is some kind of warning:Don´t think there´s allways hot at summer.
    We were little surpriced how cold the wind was.Even if I´m a Finn,I´m easily feeling cold,and I had not enough "warm"clothes.We were here when June turned to July,and at least at nights walking at riverbanks I was feeling cold with t-shirt.Someone told before,it´s allways hot at summer,so either it was not as hot as usually or I´m just tooshivery person.(I know I am,but even my husband was feeling little cold,and he hardly ever is).
    Also another surprice was,that I thought (my mistake) that those shower-warnings I red weren´t for summer,but it rained allmost every day.Usually only for a while,so one could go to shop/museum or something,and when going out,it has stopped.I didn´t pack my umbrella with me,so I needed to buy one,when one day it rained heavily.After I bought it,last two days didn´t rain at all :D

• gubbi1's Profile Photo

Wine + heat = §$%&/()

by gubbi1 Updated Apr 2, 2007

In case you go for tasting the very tasty Port, think that you most probably first feel the alcohol when getting out of the house into the heat of the streets. And there are many places to taste the wine... ;)

Direction: Vila Nova De Gaia

Just a very few of the wine companies...
    • Wine Tasting

• nhcram's Profile Photo

Mind your step!!

by nhcram Updated Jan 9, 2007

Lots of building work going on in the city. I know it will improve the place but until then it is a nuisance. Just be careful where you walk as the drivers do not like to give way for pedestrians.

Building works

• scootermclean's Profile Photo

Driving

by scootermclean Updated Apr 8, 2006

Its not so much of a danger, more so advice. Driving in Porto is confusing (especially in the night). The roads are terribly marked, dark, one way. It took us a long long time to figure out where were were upon arrival, and just about as long (20 min) to figure out how to get OUT of town onto the main freeway to Lisbon. there were signs, but they would point down a road which after following for a while became very evident wasnt going anywhere in the right direction.

• Car parkers

by pel Written Jul 3, 2003

Normally 'car parkers', as we might call them, aren't very friendly if you don't give them a tip, even tough you don't need to give legally.

Never give less than 0.10€ and you don't want to give more than 1€.

• diamond7's Profile Photo

Porto is a pacific town...

by diamond7 Written Jul 6, 2003

Porto is a pacific town, anyway as in all the other european cities you may be careful in the tourist points and in the train stations, as there are possibilities of robbery.

Porto Hotels

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Hotel Internacional
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Porto

Comments

Porto Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Porto locals.
Map of Porto