Furnas Restaurants

Restaurante Banhos Férreos, Furnas
    Restaurante Banhos Férreos, Furnas
    by SWFC_Fan
  • "Cozido das Furnas" at Restaurante...

Most Recent Restaurants in Furnas

• Avieira67's Profile Photo

Vale das Furnas: Cozido das Furnas

by Avieira67 Updated Jun 13, 2015

This restaurant is located in the camping park, a quiet place. The scenery around it is very green.
    It is my favourite place to eat our traditional Cozido das Furnas. If you are not familiarized with this dish, it consists of three kind of meat (beef, pork and chicken), blood and meat pork sausages, yam, potatoes, carrots and cabbage. These ingredients are put in a covered pan, with a little of salt only, and steam cooked in one of the volcanic holes around Furnas lake. The cooking process lasts about 6 hours. It is also possible to cook codfish using the same way.
    Vale das Furnas restaurant, besides its good reputation for the quality of the food, has a good ambience. Its simple design invites you for a meeting with the surrounding nature.
    Usually I recommend our regional Basalto red wine from Pico Island to be served with this meat dish.
    For dessert, can be our pineapple, queijadas de Vila Franca do Campo, fofas da Povoação or rice pudding.
    I advise you to book at least one day in advance. One dose is, usually, enough for 2 people.

You can prepare your pan at home and bring it to the hole to be cooked. Nowadays, it is no longer free to cook at these holes. To get in the area, each person has to pay 0.5 EUR, and to cook your dish a small fee is also required. To park your car you have to pay for it as well for the table to eat your meal,

Address: Parque de Campismo - Caminho das Queimadas

Directions: Not far from the Thermal Centre.

Phone: 00.351.296584307

Cozido at Vale das Furnas Restaurant Cooked codfish Waiting for the

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Restaurante Banhos Férreos: Cozido das Furnas...and a thermal pool!

by SWFC_Fan Written Oct 11, 2014

We ate at Restaurante Banhos Férreos one lunchtime during our visit to Furnas in September 2014.

This lunch stop (and the cost of the meal) was included in a day tour that we undertook with UTC Azores. We had just visited the underground cooking pits on the banks of Furnas Lake and seen where the local stew, "Cozido das Furnas", is cooked underground using the natural heat of the earth. We were told that the pots of stew would have been placed in the cooking pits at around 6:00am that morning and would have cooked for around 6 hours before being removed from the ground. At Banhos Férreos we would now get to taste this famous stew!

We sat around a large table in the restaurant's dining room. There were 11 of us in our tour group; as well as Emma and I, there was a young couple from Toronto, a couple from Germany, a couple from mainland Portugal, a retired French gentleman from Toulouse, our tour guide Bruno and our driver Pedro.

Before the stew was served, we were presented with communal plates of local cheese and baskets of local bread. There were two varieties of bread; one was a little sweet, the other was produced from several different varieties of cereal. A few pitchers of local red and white wines were also placed on the table and soft drinks were brought for those who wanted them. We enjoyed sharing travel stories as we nibbled on the bread and cheese and enjoyed the (in my case, red) wine.

As we were chatting, I was approached by a local gentleman who was excitedly holding a newspaper. He was pointing to a photo on the front of the newspaper and then pointing at me and smiling. He seemed to be under the impression that the man on the front of the newspaper was me! It wasn't! I double checked to make sure I hadn't been covertly snapped and it definitely wasn't me! In fact, it was a story about an Irish couple who had recently visited Sao Miguel to get married there and the picture was of the groom kissing his bride. I tried to explain to the man that it wasn't me, but he didn't seem convinced. Funnily enough, he wasn't the only person to make that mistake; a few days later, back in Ponta Delgada, the waiter who was serving us told us that he had seen us in the newspaper and had been telling his friends that he had had "celebrities" in his restaurant!

With this bit of excitement over, the Cozido das Furnas was brought to our table on several large plates. It contained quite a few different types of meat (beef, chicken, pork, chouriço, black pudding) as well as cabbage, potatoes and yams. I didn't immediately recognise all of the meat (some of it looked like skin or parts of the animal that I'm not accustomed to eating!) but all of the meat that I ate was deliciously tender. That six hours of underground cooking had worked wonders.

The waitress offered us a choice of desserts (including fresh pineapple, several types of cake and ice cream) and coffee or tea. I opted for a slice of pineapple cake (a sponge cake topped with a slice of Azorean pineapple) and an espresso coffee.

As well as serving the famous Cozido das Furnas (along with all the other restaurants in Furnas), this restaurant also has its own thermal baths for diners to have a dip in if they so wish. The restaurant's name, Banhos Férreos, translates as "Ferrous Baths" and there is a small pool filled with brown water just along the corridor from the dining room. It only costs €2.50 for a dip in the pool but, as nobody else in our party was interested in going in, I gave it a miss.

A nice restaurant in the centre of Furnas serving the famous "Cozido das Furnas" stew which is cooked underground for several hours. It also offers a thermal pool for diners to dip in. Recommended!

Address: Rua Maria Eugenia Moniz Oliveira, Furnas

Directions: Located in the centre of Furnas, a few minutes drive from Furnas Lake.

Phone: 296 584 504

Restaurante Banhos F��rreos, Furnas Restaurante Banhos F��rreos, Furnas Pineapple Cake at Restaurante Banhos F��rreos Thermal pool at Restaurante Banhos F��rreos

• xicomelo's Profile Photo

O Mirone: Spicy food

by xicomelo Written Feb 2, 2005

It's a recomended restaurant by the tourism association. But it's not so good as Tony's. Food is quite spicy for me. And, Portuguese food is not spicy!

But you may try here the "Cozido das Furnas".

I paid 12,15€ for 2 people.

Instant Answers: Furnas

Furnas Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Furnas restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Furnas sightseeing.