Map &

Kolomenskoye Estate Private Tour from Moscow
From $125.00
Private Moscow Must-See Tour
From $220.00

Old Circus - Nikulin Circus Tips (7)

Old Circus (Nikulin)

There are two circuses in Moscow, the old and the new. The new circus was not in town so we ended up going to the old circus twice, once with tickets obtained by my VT friend Lalique and once with our tour group.

The 350 ruble seats were much better than the tour provided 200 ruble seats, spring for the extra cost if you can afford it. There were seats that were even more expensive but I thought the view from our seats was great.

The old circus is in a more central location than the new, in a modern building.

The human acts featured gymnasts, all of which were quite good.

There were also several animal acts including chimps, reptiles (boy, was I rooting for that crocodile to take a chunk outta that trainer!), seals and bears.

I have to say that a couple of the animal acts made me a little uncomfortable and it was a little sad seeing a majestic animal like a bear being made to act so unmajestically. But the audiences love the animal acts, perhaps this is a bit of a cultural difference?

Dabs's Profile Photo
Oct 01, 2003

The old circus

The old Moscow circus is an absolut delight. I am not to much into the animal acts myself, but that aside, the animals seemed healthy and well cared for and the acrobatics are fantastic. The costumes were wonderful and the whole show usually follows some kind of story or script. The acts change about 2 or 3 times every year. Tickets cost between 2 and 10 dollars and there is no cost difference for Russians and foreigners. The show usually lasts about 2 and ahalf hours with an intermission.

heplion's Profile Photo
Aug 01, 2003

Old Moscow Circus: The orginal and the best

There are two circuses in Moscow, the old circus near the river and the new circus in T'snetnoy Bul'Var.

The new circus is the better of the two. They have the most elaborate display of animal training I have ever seen: multiple dogs, seals, monkeys, bears, lions.
This is the only circus in the world where I have seen a bear honestly riding a motorbike.

It's an incredible spectacle with a great atmosphere, and outside the tent you can take pictures with some of the rarer domesticated animals such as foxes. Front row seats went for 1200 rubles - around USD$43.

leon.partsi's Profile Photo
Jun 16, 2011

Great Moscow State Circus

Entertainment for the family under the big top, this time a big round metal and glass building since 1971, so it is good in winter and summer.
Currently playing "Around the World in 130 minutes on water, ice and land."
Under 6 admitted free.

Balaklavsky prospekt, 2, Moscow, Central Russia, 113639, Russia
33, Balaklavsky prospect, Moscow, 117303, Russia
Building 21-1, Kirovogradskaya, Moscow, 113519, Russia
Building 3, Office 104, Moscow, 0, Russia

The Moscow state circus was a...

The Moscow state circus was a nice delight. During my October visit, I had the opportunity to see frist-hand the world famous circus.
The performers were all very talented at their craft and the show was continuiously entertaining even when the animals decided not to do as they were instructed.
This was good quality entertainment at the right price (that doesn't happen in Moscow often).

Muddybenz's Profile Photo
Sep 12, 2002

Going to the Moscow Circus

Before the circus began, we walked around and saw all the animals posing inside for pictures-they took them on our digital for a small fee. The circus was unlike any we had ever seen-so glamorous,colorful, and unusual-with a hint of the Cirque de Soleil ,and the stories they told with each act. Russia is known for their fairy tales, and this was exciting like that to see. Of course we had the cotton candy too!

arkryger's Profile Photo
Feb 08, 2005

Circus (Tzirk)

This is the headquarters of the world-famous Moscow circus. If you have kids, or just want to rediscover a kid in you for a night, do come. You will be amazed by the performance.

el_ruso's Profile Photo

TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

"Marvellous Moscow"

Things To Do Near Old Circus - Nikulin Circus

Danilov Monastery

I took tramway 39 to the Moscow University across southern area of Moscow and after some 15 minutes of trip I could indentify the white walls of the monastery , that was the first one of Moscow ,...

Donskoy Monastery

The history of the Donskoy monastery dates back to the late 16th century, when it was part of Moscow's city fortification. On the monastery grounds stand several churches, with the massive red brick...

Gorky Park

The Gorky Park seems to have been restored since my last time in Moscow and I had a very pleasant time there. It was late evening and I walked , wlaked walked on by in lots of directions , along the...

Tretyakov Gallery

Tretyakov Gallery is absolutely unmissible! Definitely the top attraction of my district Zamoskborechie, I went there immediately at my first afternoon in Moscow. I was aware I was about to visit...

Novodevichy Cemetery

Here, behind high walls and among gnarled trees, lie the remains of many famous figures including writer Anton Chekhov, composer Sergei Prokofiev and former Russian president Boris Yeltsin. The...

Cathedral of Christ the Redeemer

The last time that I visited the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour was in the year 2007. It is very centrically located, almost next door to the Kremlin. I crossed on foot the Patriarch Bridge and...

Getting to Old Circus - Nikulin Circus