Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Jewish Saint Petersburg Tour
"Visit the Grand Choral Synagogue is an important part of the tour: Designed in Moorish style by architects Shaposhnikov and Shreter the Synagogue opened in 1893 by which time the Jewish community had reached  16500 nearly 2% of the city’s population. Accommodating over 1200 persons the Synagogue was the only Jewish place of prayer to survive the repressions of 1930s. It continued to function even during the Siege of Leningrad 1941-1944. Today the Synagogue still has an active community. St. Petersburg has a well developed Je dozens of Jewish centers and community houses welcome visitors from all over the world. You will meet locals there learn about activities and tasks of the community and see for yourself how Russian Jews live today -all this in your  visit to one of the local Jewish community centres (e.g. famous Yesod). After that lunch/snack/coffee-break in a local venue of you
From EUR110.00

Russian Ballet Evening and 3-course Traditional Russian Lunch in Saint-Petersburg
"A driver will pick you up at the hotel lobby and drive you to the centrally located Russian restaurant. Here you will taste the famous courses of Russian cuisine such as fresh cabbage salad with apple vinegret (Old-style Russian salad with cooked and pickled vegetables) Shchi (Russian cabbage soup) with sour cream chicken cutlet ""Pozharskaya"" with tomato sauce hot pancake with fruit spread chicken fricassee in mushroom sauce Kasha (buckwheat porridge with onion). And of course
From $149.00

One Day Private Tour: City Tour with Skip-the-Line Hermitage
"Itinerary:9am:  Meet your guide at the hotel9am - 12pm: City Tour (Photo stops at famous sights of the city including inside visit to Peter & Paul Fortress + St. Peter & Paul Cathedral)
12:15pm - 1:15pm:  Lu Rostral Columns Egyptian Sphinxes and the Academy of Fine Arts Saint-Petersburg State UniversityPeter & Paul’s Fortress + Cathedral - inside visit; photo stops at the Artillery museum Trinity square Cabin of Peter IPhoto stop St. Isaac’s Square: Monument to Nicholas I Mariinsky Palace
From $290.00

Police Tips (9)

The Police

In most cases the police are there to protect and to serve the people, at least that is how most of us think of them. However, in St. Petersburg, and I suspect in other places in Russia, the police are something to be a bit wary of. I have heard hair-raising stories from Russians and non-Russians alike about incidents involving police ranging from harassment to out-and-out bribery. It is common for the police to stop people at random and ask to check their papers. They do not need a reason to do so. You can be arrested here for breaking simple laws, even laws that you didn't know existed. Because of this I highly suggest that you have all of your papers in order and carry $20 US in your pocket just in case. It wouldn't hurt to find yourself a Russian-speaking guide either.

peach93
Oct 03, 2005

Emergency telephone numbers

Russia does not use 911 calling, but the emergency numbers are fairly simple.

For fire or accidents - 01
For Police call - 02
Ambulance - 03
Police hotline for foreigners 278-30-18
Central police switchboard 340-10-20

From a mobile phone, megafone, call 112 for emergencies.

sennaya's Profile Photo
sennaya
Feb 13, 2007

Don't walk on the grass

If you walk on the grass, the militsia will seriously chase you down, and may give you a fine. I accidentally stepped on the grass a tiny bit while taking this photo, and a police officer came after me.

liusia's Profile Photo
liusia
Nov 03, 2003

Pictures on the Metro

This picture cost me a fine of 100 rubles. I saw this really neat soviet-era mural above the escalator as we were about to go down. As I snapped the picture, this fellow stepped into my frame, (as you can see ). Suddenly I heard all this commotion and realized it was directed at me! This police man started shouting at me in Russian and I had no clue what the problem was! My friend interpreted for me and told me that the man was saying that people were not allowed to take pictures in the Metro stations, and that I could either pay a fine of 100 rubles or go to court. (At the time, 100 rubles was the equivalent of about 3 dollars). I acted contrite, filled out the paper work and paid the fine. After all of that, the man said that since I paid my fine, I could now feel free to take as many pictures of the station as I liked! Can you believe that! Well, by that time I was so embarrassed and shaken up that I couldn't bring myself to take any more pictures. Later, when I got the film developed, I noticed that the stupid picture didn't even turn out right! Dang it!

sophiebeans's Profile Photo

Ulitsa Gapsalskaya, 2, St. Petersburg, North-West Russia, 198035, Russia
Povarskaya lane 4, St. Petersburg, North-West Russia, 191025, Russia
58 A Naberezhnaya reki Moyki, St. Petersburg, North-West Russia, 190000, Russia
Hotels
Yakornaya ulitsa 1, Bolsheokhtinsky prospekt 4, St. Petersburg, North-West Russia, 195027, Russia
Hotels
71 Naberezhnaya reki Fontanki, St. Petersburg, North-West Russia, 191023, Russia

The Russian Police in General

Always carry your passport, bbecause the police can demand ID at any time, if you have no ID on you, you will be carted of to jail, until somone can produce ID for you. You are more likely to be asked for ID if you are hispanic or of a darker complexion. As the police will likely think you are Georgian or Chechnen.
Also be careful of police driving around slowly in cars, they asked my friend and I how much we were an hour (this proposition is not uncommon)

Tempest_X's Profile Photo
Tempest_X
Apr 16, 2004

Dodgy Cops

If you are going to have a night out, try getting a taxi home. The main danger from walking home is the local cops who will stop you and help themselves to the contents of your wallet.
Luckily I didn't have any money for them to steal as I had had a big night.

salisbury3933's Profile Photo
salisbury3933
Mar 01, 2006

Be careful in parks

Well, maybe it's not everywhere, but next to Church of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ is nice park (can't remember name) where you can find guys in uniform with one and only task: watch if tourist will step on the grass.
One of my colleague did it to make this nice photo and she was arrested for several minutes. Thank God, our russian guide was with us so he negotiated with police and she just paid huge fine for this crime.

rsudic's Profile Photo
rsudic
Jan 07, 2007

Don't Take Pictures In the Metro!

Well, what can I say. Maybe I went a little overboard with the photography - but this was a once in a lifetime trip! You will be very impressed with how ornate and artistic the Metro stations in St. Petersburg are! I was told that they were designed and contructed for not only the metro patrons, but to also serve as aesthetically-pleasing under-ground bunkers in case of nuclear holocaust during the cold war. One may feel the urge to take pictures, but if you do, be careful and be sneaky about it! If the police or Metro workers catch you, they will cause a big stink and give you a fine!

sophiebeans's Profile Photo
sophiebeans
Feb 08, 2005

Top 5 Saint Petersburg Writers

sennaya's Profile Photo

sennaya

"St. Petersburg: a City for all Seasons"
filipdebont's Profile Photo

filipdebont

"St Petersburg : City of Peter the Great"
Canadienne's Profile Photo

Canadienne

"St. Petersburg in Spring"
balhannah's Profile Photo

balhannah

"STUNNING ST. PETERSBURG!"
HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

HORSCHECK

"St. Petersburg - City of cathedrals and bridges"

Police controls

Dont walk during the night from Marstall to Newsky. You can bet, that the police is controlling you. After they have checked all your papers and pockets, you can be sure, you will miss some money.
Take a taxi, even if they charge very high prices, but still cheaper as the police fee.

bakunin's Profile Photo
bakunin
Sep 21, 2002

Things to Do Near Saint Petersburg

St.Isaac's Cathedral

Having a boat trip along the city canals you will see lots of magnificent edifices. his is the golden dome of St.Isaac's Cathedral built in 1818 - 1848. St.Isaac was the patron saint of Peter the...

Admiralty

This huge complex of buildings can be seen from the three main thoroughfares of the city. You can see this tower with the old spire crowned with a weather vane shaped like a caravelle. The spire...

Hermitage

As any Great Museum of the World Class, the State Hermitage has collections representing human culture from pre-historic times till XX century. At the ground floor you are going to find hall #65 the...

Grand Palace

The Palace Church was built in 1751 by architect Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli. This Church played a special role in the history of the Russian imperial court. In the summer months, when Peterhof...

Getting to Saint Petersburg

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

Map