Vodnik Square was built after the diocesan college and library situated in an old monastery were pulled down following the devastating earthquake of 1895. The space gained was used for the purposes of an open-air market which today features plenty of fruit and veg stalls. The square was named after Valentin Vodnik, whose monument by Alojzij Gangl was in 1889, when the college was still there, erected in front of the college.
Vodnik Square lies to the east of St Nicholas Cathedral and features another market, (or is it an extension of the Central Market), full of fruit and veg stalls. The quality and quantity of the local produce looks very impressive. There are also a few clothes stalls towards the eastern side of the square near the Dragon Bridge.