Map &

Barcelona Bike Tour Including Tapas Lunch
From EUR40.00
Full-Day Private Wine Tour and Montserrat Mountain Experience
From EUR157.00

Summer - Winter Clothes Tips (14)

What to wear in Early november

Luggage and bags A big handbag which doesnt keep falling off your shoulder! Not only is it a pain, it also isnt safe from bag snatchers.
Bag should be big enough to carry camera, papers, travel guide, water, juice, a thick shawl/sweater for when it gets chilly later in the day, a sandwich for when the only food you can find is expensive and not that great -like in the park near the zoo! You get hungry and thirsty with all that walking, so taking some food with you saves a fair bit of money through out the week. Coffee /coke was priced at €3 at many places we found in central Barcelona. Toasted sandwiches (cheap white bread with processed cheese) were €4 in the park cafe (park Ciudella -spelling?).

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear A summer dress and a cardigan was perfect wear for me (a brit) during the day at this time of year.
Temperature dropped quite a bit in the late afternoon, so take something really warm out with you. My son wore a t-shirt under a light Jacket.
Make sure that your shoes are comfy enough to wear for hours as you'll do a lot more walking about than you planned. EG We spent 3 hours walking around Guell park, then an hour walking around a museum -another hour and a half was spent walking between buses and to the metro on that same day!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies Tissues! our appartment didnt provide this. We also found a few public toilets had run out of it as well. Zip-lock bags came in handy too.
There's at least one pharmacia on every block!! so no worries there! I did wonder though... what is it that they need so many chemists for?? perhaps it has something to do with that god-awfull sewrage smell that wafts around from every drain? Oddly enough, the absence of insects was remarkable. We saw a few wild cats, but no insects.

Photo Equipment I wish we'd taken the trouble to get a good zoom lens. There are soooo many places in Barcelona offering huge, vast Panoramic views! Tibidabo mountain for one; tibidabo funfair and church, climb to the top for the best views of Barcelona and beyond!

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear Too cold for sunning, but warm enough to sit in parks for an hour or so.

Miscellaneous We stayed in an appartment for 5 days in early November. Comfort won over fashion from the offset really.
I only wore 2 of my dresses and one of my pairs of shoes -the most comfortable ones! My other clothes didnt match my comfy shoes, so they never got used. Lesson; you only need half the stuff you think you need!

satsumamoon's Profile Photo
Dec 02, 2008

Winters can be very cold!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear Winters can be very cold, especially when I went there in 2005: it was snowing and I felt the cold seabreeze in my bones...
Not the best conditions to have a walk trough the city!
It was different from where I came from (the Netherands). Barcelona's cold was really uncomfortable and not to deal with.

Winter 2006 was better though, might have been because I took a better coat with me (see picture)

Valeggua's Profile Photo
Sep 06, 2006

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear Do
-bring a warm jacket, like a peacoat, something wool etc.
-bring black comfortable boots.
-bring an umbrella.
-Assume Spain is warm in the winter, warmer than Northern Europe maybe but not beach weather by any means.
-wear sandals.
-wear your university sweater(if you want to fit in) if not wear it who cares!

emilybcn's Profile Photo
May 06, 2005

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear The Summer in Barcelona is very hot and humid so be prepared!
For women
-wear shorts, especially not really short ones unless you like cat calls.
-wear beach clothes on the streets.
-don't bring a heavy sweater it will be very hot!
-wear midlength or longer lightweight summer skirts
-wear white lightweight pants and tops.
Over all in the summer there are so many tourists that you shouldn't worry too much about sticking out but from my experience the short skirts, and small tanktops that are popular in California will just lead to catcalls on the streets of Barcelona.

emilybcn's Profile Photo

Paseo del Borne 30, Calle Pescateria 1, Barcelona, Catalonia, 08003, Spain
General Castanos 6, Barcelona, Catalonia, 08003, Spain
Pla de Palau, 17, Barcelona 08003

weather in Barca

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear Barcelona's location on the shores of the Mediterranean means that it enjoys a warm, welcoming climate and pleasant temperatures all year round. Between the Barceloneta district and the River Besos, the city has over four kilometres of perfectly equipped beaches which are frequented by its residents during most of the years. Barcelona also has an olympic harbour which provides excellent conditions for water sports.

Rainfall is often heavy, with levels of around 1,000mm per year. This helps to maintain the many green areas around the city.

In any season of the year, Barcelona basks in the sun. You can eat in open-air restaurants or have a drink on the terraces, by the shores of the Mediterranean sea.

tweetycaro's Profile Photo
Mar 23, 2004

What to take in March

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear We visited Barcelona at the beginning of March, and for myself and most of the people we met over there from the UK we found the temperatures during the day PERFECT. It was a very comfortable 16C - 18C. Although the locals and visitors from warmer climates were in coats we found a short sleeved shirt more than enough during the day.
For early in the morning and early evening I had a jumper. For the evening a small jacket worked fine. There was a heavy shower on one of the late afternoons, so it's worth carrying a small waterproof coat.
You have to walk Barcelona to appreciate it the most, so I would advise some very comfortable shoes for the day especially.

col_hall6's Profile Photo
Mar 16, 2004

Bring a scarf! It's cold and windy in February

Luggage and bags Pack an extra bag with wheels for all the goodies you'll find at the duty free store at the airport! Olive oil makes a great gift but it's heavy! I would have bought more it was cheap!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear If you travel to B in the winter, bring a scarf. All the women wrap a scarf around their neck and it was the first thing I bought! It was cold in February. It even snowed!

Miscellaneous I brought a light weight leather jacket and thank goodnees for the extra sweater I packed in case it got really cold. It did! Be prepared!

Mar 11, 2004

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear Don't forget to bring warm clothes if visiting from November to April as it CAN get very cold.... Most of the time the climate is pleasant though compared with the rest of Europe.

Average monthly temperatures at l'Observatori de Barcelona:

Jan 11,0

"Barcelona es bona..."
seamandrew's Profile Photo

"Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo

"The capital of County of Barcelona"
bpwillet's Profile Photo

"Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
spanishguy's Profile Photo

"Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
View Member

Good walking shoes and a wind breaker

Luggage and bags Not so much that you woudl be bogged down with. The stairwells can be tiny and the metro stations are only so big.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear I was there during the winter. It was a lot more mild than what I was used to in England but it is still quite windy and can be quite chilly. It also can be quite cloudy at times. But when the sun is out and you are walking around, you will be glad to have comfortable layered clothes that you can easily remove.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies There are plenty of pharmacies around for any kind of medicines. But they have sporadic hours. Any corner market may be able to provide you with some various toiletries if you are in need.

Miscellaneous In general, pack with what you are comfortable with. Nice clothes to go out would be a good idea. Many places will not allow "trainers" into their clubs or bars.

bpwillet's Profile Photo
Feb 10, 2004

Barcelona in winter

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear Comfortable shoes are an absolute must. Don't get new ones for the trip. In the middle of the winter - my experience is the end of December and early January - it can get cold when you're outside all day. Also, the sun rises very late - like around 8:30 a.m. So you get a blast of cold air when you leave your hotel in the morning. A turtleneck sweater under a medium-weight coat will keep the chill out. Keep a scarf (not a bulky one) and a pair of gloves in your bag. Sometimes you need it and sometimes you don't. The temperature goes up and down. There were times when my hands were freezing, so I was glad I had my gloves. Of the 5 days we were in Barcelona, it only rained once. I had one of these mini foldable umbrellas that was helpful.

gilabrand's Profile Photo
Jan 05, 2004

Strange Weather

Luggage and bags Keep a small bag with all your important stuff money and others stuff... keep it always around your back . .you never knows in the crowded places

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear In september be ready for a hot weather .. but take a jacket or something .it can get pretty chilly in the night ..
and yeah .rain it can come down pouring anytime ;)

Photo Equipment Make sure your camera can control the flash .. else you will miss out on great stuff example in the aquarium .. no flashes :(
And zooming .. of course .. :( i didn't have that either next time .. :)

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear Even in september you can go to the beach keep that swimming suit with you ..and enjoy that mediterranean sea :)

JoeAnAnAs's Profile Photo
Apr 30, 2003

Cool clothes in summer!!!!!!!!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear the weather in barcelona in Summer is hot and wet... you're always sweatty, so try to wear light clothes, very confortable, spacial for hot places....

Toiletries and Medical Supplies nothing special.... only pills for stomachache for the spicy food....but the best advice I could give in Summer is drink WATER, WATER and more WATER......

Saldi's Profile Photo
Oct 02, 2002

Things To Do Near Barcelona

Parc de la Ciutadella

This building, located in the middle of the park near the boating lake, is the Catalan parliament. Also in the park are a few museums and the Barcelona zoo - once home to Barcelona's unofficial...

Museu Picasso - Picasso Museum

This collection of works by Picasso is housed in 5 medieval houses all joined seemlessly together after many years of renovations. Although not born in Barcelona, Picasso spent some years in the city...

Museu d'Historia de Catalunya - Catalan History Museum

This museum opened during 1943 and one of its major attractions is to take a walk underground and view the streets of the Roman and medieval city. We were on a tour and did not have time to enter the...

Museu de la Xocolata - Chocolate Museum

This is a museum about chocolate. I love chocolate and found the visit interesting. The exhibition starts with cacao and how it was used in America. And then how it came to Europe and later with the...

Barcelona Walking Tours Gotic

This Great tour, organized by Turisme de Barcelona, offers you the possibility to walk by the Gothic Quarter, with an experimented guide that will explain you the history of all the hidden corners of...

Santa Caterina Market - Mercat de Santa Caterina

In Bari Gotic neat the Santa Caterina church is the food market Mercat de Santa Caterina. Much smaller the Boqueria, it still has those wonderful smells and lots of vendors selling all sorts of...

Getting to Barcelona

We don't yet have an address for this What to Pack. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this What to Pack. Help us improve our info!