Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Córdoba Private Guided Day Tour from Madrid
"Enjoy this private 8 hour tour with your guide and get to the historical city of Cordoba very comfortably in a fast train service. The tour will start off with a ride from Madrid's ATOCHA train station and then travel comfortably by fast train to your official tour guide will meet you at the train station and your private tour will start. Your tour is completely personalized to fit your own needs. The tour will be organized taking into account what you want. An example of what some of the Jewish quarter and Gothic architecture and roman remains.The tour will finish off at the same meeting point.""""Once you visit Madrid and have a day to spare you cannot miss on a visit to Cordoba. Embark on an amazing full-day excursion. Explore Cordoba’s Moorish monuments with your private tour guide and emerge yourself in the historical streets and admire the great architecture."title=Highlights&1=Private%2C+full-day+tour+to+Cordoba+from+Madrid&2=Ride+the+fast+train+with+a+guide+through+the+scenic+Andalusian+countryside&3=See+highlights+of+the+city%27s+UNESCO-listed+historic+center&4=Step+inside+Cardoba%27s+famous+cathedral+built
From EUR229.00

Madrid Full Day by High Speed Train from different points in Spain
"Transfer by your own to the High Speed Railway Station to take the morning High Speed Train to Madrid. Arrival in Madrid. Free time to discover this magnificent city considered as one of the most beautiful in the world. We include an afternoon city tour at 15.00 h (meeting at 14.45 h) in our VPT Terminal at C/ Ferraz 3. The best tour to get acquainted with the city. During approximated 2:30 hours we’ll see the most important buildings avenues and squares to know the monuments and its history from the old Habsburg and Bourbons quarters to the present modern city: Gran Vía Plaza de España University
From EUR165.00

Madrid Full Day Tour by High Speed Train from Valencia
"Transfer by your own to Valencia Railway Station to take the morning High Speed Train to Madrid. In Madrid you will have free time to discover this magnificent city considered as one of the most beautiful in the world. It is included an afternoon city tour at 15.00 h (meeting at 14.45 h) in the terminal. Enjoy visiting this amazing city during 2.30 hour where you will see the most important buildings avenues and squares to know the monuments and its history from the old Habsburg and Bourbons quarters to the present modern city: Gran Vía Plaza de España University Moncloa
From EUR165.00

Entertainement Tips (19)

Street Musicians

During my weekend in Madrid, I enjoyed listening to, and watching the various musicians, playing on the streets of Madrid.

Three of my favourites were the trio in my 1st picture, who played near El Corte Ingles off Sol - it was bitterly cold, but they soon warmed up the gathered crowd, with some recognisable tunes, I recorded some of their music, and enjoy listening to it now I'm back home - They had a cd for sale - I didn't have enough money on me at the time, and was hoping to catch them later to buy one, but I'm afraid that I didn't. I'm trying to download my mini video onto here.

The young small girl playing her violin,(pic 2) was also very memorable - I'd just left Bar La Ideal, near Pz Mayor, after enjoying the speciality of a boccadillo calamares - battered squid in a bread roll, before heading back to my hotel, then the airport.

The 3rd group, I came across in Sol as it started to get dark - Great music, which contributed to the atmosphere of bustling Sol - they looked like great characters too. (pics 3-5)

I really enjoy coming across street musicians, and always put a few coins their way - I'm a big fan of Live Music, and am always envious, wishing that I had a musical talent.

suvanki's Profile Photo
suvanki
Jan 24, 2009

La Movida

After the death of Franco in 1975 a peroiod of personal and artistic freedom started. By the youth this got translated into experimenting with drugs, drinking and going out late. This phenomen is called la movida. the movement brought a lot of culture and one of the icons of the movement was film maker Pedro Almodovar, known for his satirical art movies such as tode sobre mi madre.

ger4444's Profile Photo
ger4444
Jun 28, 2007

bullfighting

bullfighting is a national passion in spain.
it's hated worldwide and i find it a bit of an odd hobby myself, but it's very popular in spain and the fights are almost always sold out.

i went to a bullfight myself in spain and i must say it was an interesting if a bit add spectacle.
i grew up on the countryside myself and i'm used to seeing animals being butcherd, so it wasn't that bad for me to watch, but i would not recommend that you bring your children to a bullfight.

the bullfighting arena in madrid is a very impressive arena and worth seeing even if you have no intentions of going to watch a bullfight.

cachaseiro's Profile Photo
cachaseiro
Jun 07, 2007

Candid photos from Naturbier

The night after coming back from the "working" the week at the English immersion program, the Anglos and some Spaniards meet at Plaza Santa Ana at Naturbier bar for some tapas and homebrewed cervezas.

*** For more pictures, click on the link pages 1, 2, 3, and 4 which should be towards the bottom of the page. ***

virtualpatrick's Profile Photo

Paseo Reina Cristina 7, Madrid, Madrid, 28014, Spain
Po Infanta Isabel 9, Madrid, Madrid 28014
Paseo De Las Delicias 26, Madrid, Madrid, 28045, Spain

Bullfightings

This is something every tourist who comes to Madrid wants to see once!! I am not very fond of it, but will try to give you an idea of what is it all about...

Where to see it?
Madrid arena called "Las Ventas" (http://www.las-ventas.com/). This web is interesting, but is in spanish. To get there, take the Metro, line 2 (red) till the end, stop "Ventas"

When to see it?
The corridas take place every sunday (from march to october) and in certain festivities. There are special corridas in San Isidro festivities, in may, with shows every day of the week.

Prices
The prices go from 2 euros (at the very top under the sun) to 100 (first row on the shade). Why different prices for sun and shade? Because all the corridas start at 5pm, and the sun is high normally at that time...

Where to buy the tickets? The best way is in the Plaza, the fridays (10-2, 5-8) or in certain "agencies" (Victoria street, near Sol), but there is more expensive (20% more).
There is a website too, for tickets all over Spain:

How does it go?
There are normally 6 bulls, played by 6 different toreros (though some may play several, depends). Each bull has to be "played" and then killed with a sword and the corrida ends when the 6 bulls are killed.

It might be a disgusting show for some animal lovers and sensible souls, but beside the bull itself, there are many colourful and ethnically interesting aspects that make a bullfight an interesting experience while in Madrid...

Jul 12, 2004

Summer terraces

Many, many centuries ago, before the humankind could even think about Air Conditioning systems, the witty Spaniard people found the perfect method for fighting the summer heat: terraces. Well, actually terraces and cold beer is the solution. You just sit in your favorite one, with your friends or relatives and you enjoy your evening/night in that extension of your home that the street is during summer.

As you may appreciate on the picture, we start at a very early age with our terraces explorations. But don’t worry... this young gentleman wasn’t drinking anything else than milk. ;-)

agarcia's Profile Photo
agarcia
Dec 12, 2003

My poor mother, who I dragged to a bullfight

Ahh... bullfighting, Spain's very controversial past time. I was going to put this under "must see" but then I thought, well, it's really just a matter of opinion on this one. I had to go, because I wanted to see what it was all about (I'm really interested in the culture) Well, it's gory, let me tell you. My mom was a little worried about me at first, because I wasn't sure what to expect, and I just turned white during the first fight. And we were way up top in the cheapest seats!! First of all, there are 6 bullfights. (I stayed for four) The first thing that happens is, of course, they let the bull loose. There are men with pink capes who work the bull, so the matador can see how the bull is, and also to wear it out a little. Then, out comes two men on horses. (The horses have protection) The bull then attacks the horse, so that the man on the horse can stab the bull to weaken it. After this, the men run at the bull, and put two things (I really can't think of the name right now, brain freeze) in it. This is done three times, and to me, is so daring. Anyways, finally, the matador comes out with the red cape and works the bull, each time, bringing it closer and closer past him. Finally, he kills it with one stab (hopefully)! Afterwards, horses come out and pull the bull away.
During the bullfight we went to, a couple of times, the guys had to jump over the wall, because the bull was chasing them. It gets very exciting. Also, one time, the horse the bull was attacking actually fell. So, with the bull still attacking the fallen horse, they had to try and get the man, who was on the horse, out from underneath. It was so scary to me. It's definitely a one of a kind experience to go to a bullfight. I do have a favorite thing about it, even though it's so gory, I love how confident the matadors can be. To turn your back on a raging bull, that takes guts. It's amazing.
In Madrid, even if you don't go to the bullfight, at least check out the Plaza de Toros de las Ventas, it's a really impressive place.

tyerks's Profile Photo
tyerks
Oct 19, 2003

Lazy mornings at the Retiro Park

Whenever I have the chance I like to buy the sunday press and sit under the sun in the Retiro Park. It is like an oasis of calm in busy Madrid. I like to separate the different sections in the newspaper, and start reading each one till the very last page. That's my idea of a lazy sunday morning.

For the colour supplement I go to the nearest terrace and order a cold beer and some olives :-))))))))

Oct 05, 2003
Redang's Profile Photo

Redang

"¡Bienvenido a Madrid!/Welcome to Madrid!"

"Madrid is where I live"
Jefie's Profile Photo

Jefie

"Madrid: My home for 3 fantastic weeks!"
agarcia's Profile Photo

agarcia

"Home is where you're always from"
ger4444's Profile Photo

ger4444

"WONDERFUL MADRID"

La Marcha Madrileña

Madrid is pretty famous for its marcha: going out is usually referred to as 'salir de marcha' (going out marching is the best litteral translation I can come up with) because Madrileños typically prefer to have a single drink in a bar before moving on to the next (and the next, and the next...).

Add to the nearly unlimited possibilities of bars, terraces and clubs, the fact that there are thousands of people in the streets, that it is possible to witness a traffic jam at 4am, and that there is ALWAYS a next place to go to no matter the time, and it's easy to see why Madrid is the undisputed champion of European nightlife! There seems to be an unwritten law that forbids you to go to sleep before dawn...

Aug 12, 2003

Minis

What are called 'Minis' are actually everything but small in size: they are 1L big plastic glasses filled with beer, rhum and coke or any type of alcoholic drink. Minis are usually shared within the group, and tend to be very popular mostly among teenagers.

Jul 04, 2003

Food/restaurant tickets

Maybe some of you already knew about this, but I'm pretty sure that lots of you will be as amazed as me about this: in Spain most companies give you food tickets when you work for them. They are like checks allready written with an amount, that you can pay with at most of the restaurants. The company gives you a fixed daily amount, usually approximately 6 euros, so if you come to work from abroad don't forget to ask for them!

A brilliant and economic idea!

Jul 04, 2003

Public gatherings

Plaza Mayor is one of the many places in Madid where you're likely to see lots of people gathered and enjoying their beautiful city. These guys were performing another "local custom," flamenco. Actually, Sevilla is more well-known for Flamenco, but these street performers were pretty talented.

acemj's Profile Photo
acemj
Mar 02, 2003

Things to Do Near Madrid

Museo del Ferrocarril de Madrid

Train lovers lookie here! The Railroad Museum includes exhibitions of steam, electric and diesel trains and wagons. They have 4 rooms featuring infrastructure and models of foreign and Spanish trains....

Centro de Arte Reina Sofia

The Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía - in short: Museo Reina Sofía - is Madrids leading modern art museum. Established 1992, it began to take over the Prado Collection of 20th century modern...

La Casa Encendida

So La Casa Encendida is a kind of socially-conscious project/creative and learning space sponsored by the Caja Madrid bank.... The building has several floors with various different spaces, most...

El Parque del Buen Retiro

The Retiro Park (Park of the Pleasant Retreat) is the largest Public Park in Madrid and was formerly a private park of the Spanish Monarchy. This park has historical significance as is was formerly...

Retiro Park

Retiro Park is one of the top places I visited when in Madrid. With around 125 hectares of grounds to explore and numerous routes and walkways around the park, you will not get bored here. Many of the...

Palacio Cristal

We found Palacio Cristal accidentally on the walk around Retiro park. There leads a path under trees and opens into a lake, where live turtles and dugs. In the middle of the lake sprays a fountain. On...

Getting to Madrid

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Local Customs. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Local Customs. Help us improve our info!

Map