Map &

Madrid Pub Crawl Including VIP Club Admission
From EUR12.00

Botin Tips (20)

Very dissappointed!

I was excited to go to the Oldest restaurant in the world, yet disappointed with my experience. I ordered a steak dish and asked for it to be made well done. Instead, I got a steak that was very rare, and had to be sent back twice. The following day, I left Spain and was sick for three days. I eventually went to the ER and was diagnosed with food poisoning. I will never return!!

Jan 20, 2012

The antique restaurand in the world: Restaurante Sobrino De Botin

When I first ate at the Sobrino de Botin, I didn't know that it was the old restaurant in the world (Or so they say in Madrid).
From the menu, try the Cordero Asado,
Other good main dishes include baked Cantabrian hake and filet mignon with potatoes

Danalia's Profile Photo
Feb 06, 2011

Botin: Pleasantly surprised by service and great food

Deemed the oldest restaurant in the world, and on every tourist book list of where to go, I was a bit apprehensive that the age old restaurant would have just turned out tourist fare. Not so, the place is immaculate, the service excellent, friendly, and the food was very good and the menu de dia was very reasonable.

Favorite Dish The suckling pig was excellent.

Roadquill's Profile Photo
Aug 23, 2008

Botin: please don't go

I WAS QUITE DISAPPOINTED W/bOTIN. I used to go many years ago and it was considered the top for classical panish dining in an old world atmosphere. We went in January and food was so bad that I was sick all night long. The suckling pig is half cooked aand stored on an open display/showroom and obviously, full of bacterias.
The ambiance and service was more of a tacky tourist spot, no locals, extremely expensive and nothing was fresh
very disappointed!!!

Plaza de San Miguel 5, Madrid, 28005, Spain
Plaza de Santa Cruz, 3, Madrid, Madrid, 28012, Spain
Calle Zaragoza 6, Madrid, Madrid, 28012, Spain

Botin: Madrid's oldest restaurant

Officially called El Sobrino de Botín, this restaurant is considered Madrid's oldest. It's been open since 1725 in Old Madrid, close to Plaza Mayor. The restaurant is on multiple levels: the ground floor room is beautiful with traditional Spanish decor, while the basement is vaulted and cavernous. I was concered that this would be a tourist trap, and the restaurant is popular with tourists, but was pleasantly surprised by the tasty food.

MM212's Profile Photo
Nov 28, 2007

Botin: El Sobrino del Botin

This is the worlds oldest restaurant, dating back from 1725. it has an open kitchen with a heart and a oven for roasting. Everywere there are pots hanging. Goya had been dishwasher here and Hemmingway visited the place often.

Favorite Dish Roast segovian lamb

ger4444's Profile Photo
Jun 28, 2007

Botin, the oldest restaurant in the World: Sucking pigs with music

For excellent food in pleasant atmosphere, wander around Plaza Mayor and Arco de los Cuchilleros street, where you will hit upon dozens of restaurants. CASA BOTIN is the oldest in the world open without interruption according to the Guinness organization (you will even get a certificate stating the year 1725), and their speciality is sucking pig. For Spanish "tapas" try LUIS CANDELAS, a restaurant in a cave in front of BOTIN, where the waiters use traditional bandit clothes and reproductions of old weapons since Napoleon invasion of our country. During your dinner you will be delighted by the "TUNA", groups of young university students dressed like in the XVI century who will interpret romantic songs such as "Besame mucho" or "Clavelitos". Our King loves CASA LUCIO where the most delicious fried eggs in the word are prepared. For cheaper options go to CASA DOMINGO, close to the tomb of Goya, and order chicken with cider, or try the chain MUSEO DEL JAMON with tapas and tasty cured ham.

Favorite Dish Sucking pigs

jorgejuansanchez's Profile Photo
Aug 10, 2005

Botin: Restaurant BOTIN

I had read beforehand that this was - according to the Guinness Book of Records - the oldest restaurant in the world, dating from 1725 and that Goya supposedly worked here before becoming a painter.

Of course we had to give it a try knowing that
Hemingway used to be a frequent visitor too.

Favorite Dish The place was full when we entered but the staff opened a new room for us and a few others that came in at the same time.
A lot of tourists there indeed but don't let that put you off as locals and even the king itself still go there from time to time.

Try the cochinillo asado (roast suckling pig) or cordero asado (roast lamb).

LysDor's Profile Photo
Mar 10, 2005
Redang's Profile Photo

"¡Bienvenido a Madrid!/Welcome to Madrid!"
SirRichard's Profile Photo

"Madrid is where I live"
Jefie's Profile Photo

"Madrid: My home for 3 fantastic weeks!"
agarcia's Profile Photo

"Home is where you're always from"
ger4444's Profile Photo

View Member

Botin: The oldest restaurant in the world

Oddly we went at lunchtime the restaraunt was busy and crowded. This just added to a great atmosphere. City types were obvioulsy dining with clients at some tables, while well off middle age women were gossiping at others.
this place had so much atmosphere - It's built into the origanal city walls of Madrid - and displays a Guiness World Record certifiacte as the oldest rstaurant in the world.
The food is marvellous and thebuilding unique (lots of rooms and corridors)

Favorite Dish I had the Roast Suckling Pig - you could see the huge traditional ovens where the meat was being roasted along with the vegetables
The Sangria my wife was drinking was the best she had ever tasted.
The Carlos V Brandy I finished with was absolutely huge!
would imagine in the evening you would have to book to get in here - but we were lucky at lunch time

stevehallam's Profile Photo
Feb 21, 2005

Casa Botin: One of Hemingway's Favorites

Known for it's roasted suckling pig and lamb, Casa Botin is also acknowledged by the Guinness Book of Records as being the earliest restaurant, opened in 1725.

For you literary buffs, this famous dining spot was a haunt of Hemingway's and Goya supposedly worked here before becoming a painter.

"Tuna's", similar to mariachis, serenaded us all and were very impressive. Traditional music with great senses of humor.

Favorite Dish The filet mignon.

The roast suckling pig seemed to me nothing but skin, fat and minimal meat. I would not order it again.

Dessert was wonderful...and where can you buy a glass of nice port for $2.85 Euro? Here!

mesoblonda's Profile Photo
Mar 30, 2004

Botin: Disappointing experience

We were disappointed with our one visit to Botin. The decor was very basic, a nearby diner was smoking and the service was of the "rush you through as quickly as possible, we have people waiting" variety. We had the sucking pig as our main course (I can't remember the starters, so they weren't anything special) and our party of three each had part of one side of a piglet, which meant that the one who had the middle section had mainly crackling and fat and not much meat. It was well cooked but accompanied only by two small pieces of not very nice potato. The waiter hovered close by and snatched plates away as soon as each person had finished rather than waiting for the whole group to be ready, which was rude. We didn't have anything more and were pleased to leave. My husband had indigestion most of the next day.

Sep 21, 2003

Botin: World's Oldest Restaurant

Talk about historical ambience! According to the Guinness Book of Records, this is the oldest restaurant in the world dating from 1725. Hemingway loved it and unlike many of the other restaurants on this street that advertise with signs proclaiming "Hemingway Never Ate Here" this place isn't ashamed of their former customer. It's a bit touristy, but the four level interior and the good food make it worthwhile.

Favorite Dish Cochinillo Asado, which is roast suckling pig, is a signature dish at Botin and I can see why. It's delicious.

". . . I would rather dine on suckling pig at Botin's that sit and think of casualties my friends have suffered." - Ernest Hemingway, from Death in the Afternoon (end of Chapter 10).

acemj's Profile Photo
Jul 09, 2003

Things To Do Near Botin

Basilica Pontificia de San Miguel

With its curved convex façade and elegant Baroque style, the 18th century Basílica Pontífica de San Miguel is my favourite church in Madrid. The Baroque interior complements the outside and has some...

Puerta De Toledo

The Puerta De Toledo (Gate of Toledo) is one of the remains of the 19 gates of the old City Walls of Madrid of which it was named as this gate is the nearest way going to Toledo from the Old Medieval...

Monasterio de las Descalzas Reale

This is one of the nice surprises away from the larger sights of Madrid. This was basically right down the street from my hotel, so I started exploring Madrid here. The convent is housed in a former...

Palacio Real

During the reign of the Bourbon dynasty, from 1734-1764, the Palacio Real was built as a residence for the Spanish royal family. This baroque palace has over 2000 rooms, among the most remarkable the...

Teatro Real

The Royal Theatre was built on the site of several former theatres. Construction began in 1818 at the request of Ferdinand VII but was not completed until 1850 due to political events and lack of...

Mercado de San Miguel

this is my things to do tip for the Mercado De San Miguel, which is a favorite private market that is mainly a collections of tapas bars inside rather than a fresh market. I will have a separate...

Getting to Botin