The name means "Guild House for Carpenters" which suggests of course that this was indeed the guild house in years gone by. Today it is a restaurant and function/convention centre which hosts functions for between 10 and 120 guests in its beautifully appointed rooms. It stands right on the Limmat River in the shadow of the Grossmuenster.
Zunfthaus zur Meisen is perhaps the most splendid among the many old guildhouses around Fraumünster and Rathaus. The baroque building with its rich facades is situated next to Münster bridge and Fraumünster church on the bank of the Limmat. The side towards the back forms a little courtyard which is closed with a baroque iron gate.
The house was named after a little bird which is common in Central Europe - the English name of the bird will automatically be substituted by three little stars on VT because it equals the slang name of a female body part. (I think you know which bird it is.)
The building, which looks more like a small palace than a house, contains festival halls that can be rented for events. On the first floor there is a small museum of porcellaine. The collection shows mostly china produced by manufactures in and around Zürich in the 18th and early 19th century. Visiting the museum is worthwhile because you enter some of the original baroque interiors.
One of the most elegant buildings in Zürich, the palatial Zunfthaus zur Meisen was built in 1757 in a Baroque style by the architect David Morf . It overlooks the River Limmat, next to Fraumünster in the old city. The building is one several "Guild Houses" in Zürich, a series of historically and architecturally important palaces. Nowadays, Zunfthaus zur Meisen is part of the Swiss National Museum where a collection of porcelain and faience is exhibited.
Zunfthaus zur Meisen (meaning: the guild house of the Zunft zur Meisen) is interesting building with great historical value for city.
It was build in 1757 in today Lindenhof quarter of Old town (German: Altstadt) of Zurich.
Today is part of the Swiss National Museum’s collection of porcelain and faience.
Overlooking the River Limmat, Zunfthaus zur Zimmerleuten is the "Carpenters' Guild House". Its foundation dates to the 11th century, but the house was probably rebuilt in the 14th century. In 2007, it was damaged by a fire, but was subsequently restored and reopened in 2010 as a restaurant serving local dishes. It is recognizable by the bay window topped by the red spire.