Luton Nightlife

Frontage (On a Sunday Morning)
    by johngayton

Most Recent Nightlife in Luton

• johngayton's Profile Photo

The Castle: A Proper Pub :)

by johngayton Updated Jan 5, 2010

I was out for a swift beer intending to head back to Polska Chata for dinner. This is the pub that my good old beer nose sniffed out! Yep - It rarely let's me down and certainly didn't do so here.

A cheery "Good Evening!" from the landlady and a trio of hand-pumps instantly made me welcome. As befits any proper pub there was a mixed crowd - a slightly rowdy group of youngsters joshing each other good-naturedly at one end of the bar; a well-dressed middle-aged foursome, obviously out for a pre-dinner drink, occupying centre-stage, with myself and another similarly-aged guy at the other end. A few more youngsters were knocking back shooters round a table whilst a couple of twenty-something blokes were shooting pool.

The pub looked as if it last had a major refurb about twenty years previously by someone quite sympathetic to trying to theme it as a pub. The twenty years of aging and bodged repairs having finally developed the character that perhaps the original themester had aimed for.

An excellent pint of "Black Sheep" went down a treat and a second duly ordered. A mutual cigarette break on the heated patio served to commence the usual shooting of the bull - first about the weather, next about the beer.

"What's that Black Sheep like?"

"A nice clean bitter beer, from up North somewhere, Yorkshire, I think. It's in perfect nick"

"Think I'll try one myself...Yep, not a bad pint at all."

Before I knew it I was draining my third!

I was getting a bit too comfortable. A fourth would have had me there for the night and a greasy kebab for supper. Regretfully I bade my farewells.

Good pub!

For a few other reviews visit website below:

Address: 1 Castle Street

Directions: At the East end of the pedestrian precinct, next door to the courts (?)

Phone: 01582 729826

Frontage (On a Sunday Morning)
    • Beer Tasting
    • Music

Add to your Trip Planner

Instant Answers: Luton

Luton Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Luton nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Luton sightseeing.