Durham Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Durham

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Swan and Three Cygnets: Quite a popular spot

by Airpunk Written Jan 15, 2016

Pub known for its good selection of beers, ciders and other alcoholic drinks. The food menu looked good, but unfortunately, I can't say anything about the taste. A few of the local drinkers were annoying (one compared my work as a German at the IWM Duxford to an Englishman working at a Nazi concentration camp...), but that should not put you away from enjoying the otherwise friendly atmosphere over here. Due to its location (slightly outside of the main tourist stream between market square and Cathedral/Castle), it is a little cheaper then most city centre pubs. This of course, makes it popular with students although I must say that the audience was pretty mixed.

Address: Elvet Bridge, Durham

Directions: To the East of the old town, just on the other side of the bridge crossing the Wear

Swan and Three Cygnets, Durham Swan and Three Cygnets, Durham Swan and Three Cygnets, Durham

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Market Tavern: Old-style city centre pub

by Airpunk Written Jan 15, 2016

Nice, real ale - oriented pub right in the city centre of Durham with typical British Pub food. The selection of beers makes it a good place for a nice evening. During daytime, it is a family-friendly place with lunch offers. It claims to be the second-oldest pub in existence in Durham, now it's run by the Taylor walker Chain but still has a lot of atmosphere. Interior is old-style with sitting booths

Like many pubs in Durham, it is popular with students. However, the atmosphere is rather relaxed. This is a place to chat over the one or other pint, watch football on the telly and meet friends - and not the place to start a club hopping night or start a bar flight. Nice place with friendly staff and definitively a good place to start or end a day trip in Durham. Due to is central location, it is a little more expensive than places which are located a little off the beaten path like the Swan and Three Cygnets.

Address: 27 Market Place, Durham DH1 3NJ

Directions: Right at the old market square, in the middle of the city centre

Website: http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub/market-tavern-durham/s2521/

Market Tavern, Durham Market Tavern, Durham

• planxty's Profile Photo

Queens Head pub / restaurant: Excellent food, excellent price.

by planxty Written Jun 25, 2013

I had been staying at the Queens Head a little out of town (see seperate tip) which is effectively a bar / restaurant with rooms upstairs and I spent a little time in the lounge bar which doubles as the restaurant. I noticed that it seemed a popular spot and was quite busy even in midweek which is always a good sign. A look at the menu and blackoard "specials" also indicated that it was good value, especially in relation to the prices I am used to in London. There was only one thing to do and that was to try the food.

In the event, I actually dined on my last afternoon in the city before returning to the capital and a bit early for the evening crowd so I had the place more or less to myself. As is my wont, I popped out the back to the covered smoking area for a cigarette where I chanced to bump into the chef and we got to talking. It appeared he had only recently taken over there and we discussed many things of a culinary nature. He seemed very enthusiastic. I had had my eye on the duck dish on the specials board and asked him how he cooked it, indicating that I liked mine fairly pink. Chef agreed that this was the way to cook it so I told him that if he had a ticket in the next ten minutes, it would be mine and a little under would be much appreciated.

It was a little early for a full meal so I skipped the starters which I had noticed all seemed fairly generous portion-wise and ordered the "duck breast with a port and orange reduction served with vegetables and potatoes" which was served by the friendly young barmaid. It was absolutely gorgeous. The duck was cooked exactly to my liking and the reduction nicely balanced. The potatoes and vegetables were simply done and mercifully not boiled into submission as can so often be the case. All in all it was absolutely delightful and in another nice touch chef even came out of the kitchen to ask was everything to my liking. I assured him that it was indeed. At £9:95 it was "a steal".

I had previously noted that all the menu items seemed to be equally comptetitively priced and there was a good selection as well as several special deals like "grill night" on Thursday which is two starters, two grill mains and two drinks for £21:95. They offer a Sunday roast dinner for £6:95 and also a children's menu.

I really do recommend this as a good value place to eat very good food.

Favorite Dish: The duck breast as described in the main body of the text.

Address: 2 Sherburn Road, Durham, DH1 2JR

Directions: From the town centre go along Gilesgate to where the road forks opposite the filling (gas) station. the queens Head is on the right.

Phone: +00 44 (0)191 386 5649

Website: http://www.thequeensheaddurham.co.uk/

Food, Queens Head restaurant, Durham, UK. Food, Queens Head restaurant, Durham, UK. Queens Head restaurant, Durham, UK. Queens Head restaurant, Durham, UK. Queens Head restaurant, Durham, UK.
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• planxty's Profile Photo

Fighting cocks pub: I only had a snack.

by planxty Written Jun 21, 2013

Having had a hard day's sightseeing in Durham (and there are plenty of sights to see there), I decided a quick pint would be in order and dropped into the Fighting Cocks pub in South Street right in the centre of town. I have subsequently read on a student website that this establishment gets a reputation as one of the roughest pubs in the City but I visited on a midweek mid-afternoon on a fairly dismal April day (see the image). I was therefore looking at potential violence from the two young ladies eating at the back or the barman who greeted and served me in a most friendly manner. No problem there then. The place was clean and tidy (as were the toilets) with an appearance of an old-fashioned pub although the obligatory plasma TV screens were much in evidence. I suppose they show a lot of sport here.

I hadn't actually intended to eat and was just looking at the menu out of idle curiosity but I decided a quick nibble might be in order. I only wanted a "light bite" as I had planned a decent dinner for later that evening. I toyed with the idea of the corned beef and onion pie but that came served with veg and chips or mash and I really did not want that much. I was tempted as I absolutely adore corned beef but I had never heard of this dish. I did, however, see it on several menus in the city so it must be some sort of local favourite. In the end, I plumped for the vegetable pakora @ £3:50. For those of you not aware, pakora is a deep fried Indian snack, normally of vegetable mixed with a batter and deep fried and I am particularly fond of it. I ordered and it appeared quite quickly, served by the young female cook. Well, I suppose there were few staff on at that time.

Whilst waiting, I had another look at the menu and noticed that there were some excellent deals if you are a budget traveller. I was particularly impressed by the "two for £6" deal available 1100 - 1800 Monday to Saturday and 1200 - 1800 Sunday. There is a good selection of meals available on this deal including mince and dumpling, various Kievs , pork chop, chicken breast, gammon and various other things, all served with chips and peas or mash and veg. You'll be hard pushed to better a proper cooked dinner for £3 a head. I have included an image of the main menu so you can see what the normal scale of pricing is.

When the food arrived, the young lady had done a good job. I am quite sure everything here is freezer to table but it had the requisite garnish, a decent garlic mayo and the pakoras were piping hot and not at all greasy. They were perhaps a touch over for my taste but that is merely a personal thing, they certainly were not burnt. As you can see, there were six of them of a good size and if that is their idea of a starter, I doubt I could have handled a main and eaten later again! I'm glad I chose to go light and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I know this may seem a lengthy tip for what was effectively a bar snack but, especially if on a budget, this place may well be worth a look.

Recommended.

Favorite Dish: As noted, I only had the pakora "starter" but that was well-executed.

Address: 4 south Street, Durham, DH1 4PP.

Phone: +00 44 (0)191 383 6970

Website: https://www.facebook.com/TheFightingCocksDurham

Fighting Cocks pub, Durham, UK. Fighting Cocks pub, Durham, UK. Food, Fighting Cocks pub, Durham, UK. Menu, Fighting Cocks pub, Durham, UK.
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

La Bella italia: A Surprise

by hawkhead Written Oct 21, 2012

Looking for somewhere for lunch and not seeing a pub, we went in here. We were very pleasantly surprised as we had expected the usual franchise food. It is part of a franchise but a step above. The restaurant is located down steep stairs but the room itself is right on the river and it is pleasant to sit and watch the scenery. The food was good, although the portions are not very big - adequate, though. The loos are very nice, with a potted plant added as decoration, which is a nice touch.

We feel that one more serving staff would have made the whole experience more enjoyable. The place became quite busy and there was only one waiter. There was a manager but quite frankly, all she did was ask if you were being served - a little bit of help to her underling would have been a positive move.
    That said, the service wasn't SLOW, just slow-ish.

We would definitely go again.

• Seniors

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

Oldfields Noted Eating House: Not Quite Up to Snuff

by hawkhead Written Oct 21, 2012

We were really looking forward to visiting this restaurant for dinner on a recent visit to Durham. Our welcome was lukewarm and unenthusiastic, although our booking was honoured and we were seated immediately. We found the menu to be rather unbalanced, especially if one was choosing an appetiser and a second course. We started off with humus and flatbread - one bowl between two of us - the flat bread was cold, as though it had just come out of the fridge. Although the serving dishes were removed when finished with, the plates and cutlery we had used never were. My portion of liver and onions was tough and the presence of onions was sadly lacking; the spinach portion was parsimonious. The Beef & Carlingford oyster pie was okay. We had to ask for tap water, a bottle of which was produced willingly and speedily enough; however, it was left to us to open and pour. The music was rather loud and the choice inappropriate for the venue. The tables are rather too close to each other. The toilets are up a steep flight of stairs, which could prove a problem for the less able. In summation, the restaurant certainly does not live up to its prices. The food was okay but for the prices charged, could do much better. We would definitely not seek out this place in future visits, nor recommend it. The wine is very expensive. I feel the restaurant has pretensions beyond its capabilities.

Favorite Dish: None

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

COSTA COFFEE: NOT ANOTHER ONE!

by alyf1961 Written Jun 18, 2012

First thing I looked for when I arrive in a town or city is a Costa Coffee (or a Starbucks if Costa isn't available). I then plan my assault on the town over a delicious cup of Latte.

Favorite Dish: LATTE AND LEMON AND POPPY SEED MUFFIN

Address: UNIT 22, HIGH STREET, DURHAM

Phone: 0191 3830082

Website: http://www.costa.co.uk

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Bella Italia: On the riverside for Italian

by Martin_S. Written Jul 25, 2011

Had a business meeting with the representative of the Perry company, Mr. Richard Driver and after spending an entire day examining the equipment he had to offer, he further enriched the offer by first of all returning me to my hotel AND taking me out to dinner. He suggested we visit the Bella Italia, a nice Italian restaurant along the river Wear just near the Framwellgate Bridge.

Favorite Dish: Don't remember all that we ate, but I do remember that it was excellent.
    Since I was invited to dinner I have not a clue as to the prices, what I do know is that there were no tables vacant.

Website: http://www.bellaitalia.co.uk/location/durham

Bella Italia on the river Wear, Durham, England At Bella Italia, Durham, England
    • Work Abroad

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Leonard's Coffee House: The Stuff and Staff

by Martin_S. Written Jul 25, 2011

Found Leonard's while wandering the side streets off the Market Place. It looked to be inviting and it was to be sure a dreary day outside, cold, yes COLD and dreary, so decided to drop in and have a cup of hot chocolate. What if found was a little nook and cranny coffeehouse, tiny with 6 tables on the ground floor, but the smells of the pastries and coffe, the friendlieness of the staff and the warmth made it perfect.

Address: 1 Back Silver Street, Fowlers Yard

Directions: Just off the Market Place shopping area.

Phone: 0191-3840647

Leonard Leonard Staff of Leonard

• jonathanbarker's Profile Photo

Leornard's Coffee shop: A coffee shop in the artistic area

by jonathanbarker Written Feb 26, 2011

I had arranged to meet my niece, a student at Durham university, but due to the rather damp weather we decided to have a chat over a cup of tea. Hannah lead me down some steps, through a narrow and steep street to a historical cultural quarter called Fowlers Yard. Along with the coffee shop there are craftspeople demonstrating and selling jewellery, textiles, paintings and photography, and also a microbrewery. However on this occasion I only visited the coffee shop. I could soon see that there an ambiance of relaxation, quiet chatting and enjoying tea, coffee and homemade cakes and sandwiches. This place easily beats the chain coffee shops (I much prefer to support the local people/businesses). Very friendly staff

Favorite Dish: Hannah and I had a piece of homemade cake and a pot of tea for two

Address: 1, Back Silver Street, Fowlers Yard, Durham city,

Directions: Take the steps next to Dorothy Perkin's down from Silver Street and follow the vennel (narrow street) to Leonard's Coffee Shop, or alternatively take the lift from the back of the Indoor Market, turning left to Fowler's Yard.

Phone: 0191 384 0647

Website: http://www.leonardscoffeehouse.co.uk

• jonathanbarker's Profile Photo

The Saddler: Saddle up for a delicious snack

by jonathanbarker Written Feb 26, 2011

On the way down from the Cathedral/Castle towards the city centre's market square, I found this little cafe which was recommended by a souvenir shop in the same street. I wanted some lunch, and a warm bowl of soup and pot of tea was very welcome. It was obviously very popular as there was a queue (it was half term, so there were extra visitors by familes), but it wasn't long before I was shown to a table. I was served by waitresses, and also had the opportunity to write some postcards.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my Stilton and broccoli soup served with a warm panini roll and pot of tea for one. At a price of £4.75 I thought it good value.

Address: Saddler Street, Durham city centre

Directions: Leading from the Market Place the street leads to the Castle and cathedral

• Architecture
    • Singles

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Esquires Coffee: Great for Fair Trade Coffee

by spidermiss Updated Sep 5, 2010

This chain Fair trade Coffee House is in the historic city centre and very near the River Wear. There are outdoor tables where you can able to people watch or sit by the river.

Favorite Dish: The Fair Trade coffee is good although the cheesecaske was something to be desired with.

Address: 22 Silver Street, Durham, DH1 3RD

Directions: Very near the River Wear

Phone: 0191 375 7578

Website: http://www.esquirescoffee.co.uk

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Fat Budda: Fat Buddha

by littlebush Written Dec 6, 2008

This is an Asian restaurant which has , i think, Thai, Chinese and Hong Kong food on the menu.
    Its got a great atmosphere and is very nice inside.
    A bottle of Riocha is £18.
    Food is reasonable, between 20 of us, the bill was £650.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Esquires Coffee House

by barryg23 Written Mar 10, 2007

Esquires is a lovely cafe on Silver Street , just over the Framwellgate Bridge. It's a very popular place but there are plenty of seats outside though on a cold February day it was much more difficult to get a seat indoors. The speciality here is hot chocolate and they have mint, honey nut and white chocolate flavours. We both tried hot chocolate and it was excellent.

Address: Silver St

Penguin Cafe Ruth in Esquires

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Market Tavern: Sunday Pub Lunch

by barryg23 Written Mar 10, 2007

We had lunch at the Market Tavern, a well known pub on Market Place in Durham. We both went for the Sunday lunch and it was delicious. I also tried my first bottle of Newcastle Brown here and it went very well with the roast beef. It cost about 16 pounds for two drinks and two meals. Not the cheapest place you'll find in Durham but just what we needed.

Address: Market Place

Market Tavern History of the Market Tavern

Instant Answers: Durham

Comments

Durham Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Durham restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Durham sightseeing.