Map &

"London Bike Tour - East
From GBP24.00
High-Speed Thames River RIB Cruise in London
From GBP44.00

Eating, Drinking and socialising Tips (60)

Gareth and Evan comes to London

Favorite thing My good friends Gareth aka Balam and Evan aka Evenith666
came to London to see various sites of this wonderful city and a concert too. But still had time to drop in to the Porterhouse in Covent Garden to meet up for a refreshing beer or two. Good seeing you guys....!

Nov 11, 2012

Favorite thing When we watch the English Television shows, most times a country or city Pub is in the show.
Now I was in London, I wanted to see one. Well I saw more than one, and they were just how I imagined.
For me, English Pubs look very inviting and friendly, historical, I love their funny names and the sign out the front, best of all, they serve good pub grub!

balhannah's Profile Photo
Sep 08, 2012

Eating with the local people in London

Favorite thing Hello Victor,

There is a website that connects travellers with local people who will cook them a meal in their home. It is a great way of finding out about the area and getting an insight into the best shopping centres and the do's and don'ts in the UK. It is free to use and join, check it out.

tropical459's Profile Photo
Jun 28, 2011

Eating with the locals all over the world.

Favorite thing If you are looking for a new experience you could try the site as this site connects travellers with local people willing to cook for them in their homes for 'free' It is free to join and free to use and a great way of meeting people on your trip.
Best wishes, Vicki

Fondest memory A taxi driver telling me about the best fish and chip shop in Waterloo. When I sat down I had the best fish and chips I have ever tasted and whilst I was there I saw numerous police men and taxi drivers queuing up to be served whilst on duty. Trouble is I can't remember the name of it! I know it is near the 'Old Vic' behind the Old Vic and before the 'Travel lodge' and it is on a corner. Master Fish and Chip shop I think but I can't be sure.

tropical459's Profile Photo
Oct 13, 2010
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near London

200 Westminster Bridge Road, London, SE1 7UT, United Kingdom
1 Addington St, London, SE1 7RY, United Kingdom
118-120 Westminster Bridge Road, SE1 7RW
5 Chicheley Street, London, SE1 7PJ, United Kingdom
Belvedere Road, (formerly known as "Travel Inn"), London, SE1 7PB, United Kingdom
The County Hall, , London SE1 7PB

Favorite thing If you like Chinese food, here is the place!

Chinatown, London. A place full of the smell of the orient. It is mainly an area of restaurants and supermarkets with one or two gift shops. Gone are the small shops that sold Chinese shoes and dresses.

Best time to visit if you want to avoid massive crowds is during the working week. Chinese New Year would be overwhelmingly crowded but the decorations are in place a few days before and afterwards. Mid-Autumn Festival also has decorations. Far less national publicity is paid to this festival.

Shops are open quite late into the evening and 7 days a week.

Restaurants vary in price from cheap to very expensive. There are also a couple of Taiwanese restaurants as well as Japanese tucked among the many mainland Chinese

draguza's Profile Photo
Aug 27, 2009

Pub Grub

Favorite thing Should be under "restaurant" tip, but a comment in respect of the pubs in general. Most of the pubs also serve food and pubs are to be found everywhere in London. While some have some special dishes like Indian dishes, most serve traditional English pub food. You usually have a meal for about 10 pounds, this includes e.g. a beer. The meal for sure will fill you (see pic).

Emile72's Profile Photo
Apr 27, 2009

Ingrid aka Trekki comes to town :-)

Favorite thing ToonSarah organised a very nice evening at Camino Tapas bar for a little get together for Ingrid who was over here on holiday :-)

Aug 13, 2008

Minashka came to London

Fondest memory Both myself and Az had the pleasure of meeting Minai and her friends. After meeting up in Leicester Square we then decided to go and see a West end Show.
And what better choice than to see Spamalot at the Palace theatre....!

May 06, 2008
sue_stone's Profile Photo

"My Current Home"
View Member

"Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
Regina1965's Profile Photo

sourbugger's Profile Photo

"Gor Blimey guv''r having a larf......"
toonsarah's Profile Photo

"Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
View Member

Cachaseiro comes to Leicester Square :)

Favorite thing Cachaseiro aka Claus organised a really nice get together at The moon under water pub in Leicester square. It was a nice turn out and lots of fun meeting everyone.

Vter's names to add shortly :)

Oct 21, 2007

Rexvaughan came to town

Favorite thing Sue Stone organised a nice little get together with some of her favourite VT members ;) for Rexvaughan

We all met up at the Lamb and Flag pub (The one in Covent Garden) before going on to the Strada Restaurant for a very nice dinner.

From left to right: Rex, Nhcam, Jo104, Toonsarah, Sue Stone and Rex's wife Sacra :)

Sep 29, 2007

Getting the munchies in Brewer Street

Favorite thing The Source is an expensive but pleasant enough cafe in Brewer Street, Soho. We popped in for a coffee and cheesecake break. One slice of strawberry cheesecake with two coffees came to just under £9.

The coffee was average and the cheesecake a little too moussey - but it seemed happy enough :)

Apr 22, 2007

Garfunkels restaurant story

Fondest memory
I suppose this should really be in the 'Restaurants' tips? ... But you'll see why I put it here instead.

I haven't been in one of these restaurants for years now; I used to go in them frequently, when I used to come up here with my Italian friend Roseanna and her family, back in the early to mid 1980s.

I was very slim then and one day we came into a Garfunkel's, just off of Oxford st, and I had the 'put as much on your plate as you could' for so many pounds for my lunch. So I did exactly that. I filled the plate up and it must have been a foot high! Roseanna was very embarrassed but she was laughing hysterically too, she was going "Oh Eddie!!!" all of the time. The waitresses kept looking over at me as I sat at the table eating my lunch, but I ate it ALL, much to their amazement.

My favourite dish here was: The 'Help yourself Buffet' of course..... hehehe ;-)

Elodie_Caroline's Profile Photo
Apr 18, 2007

Things To Do Near London

Lambeth Bridge

If you want to take pictures with Panoramic Views of Big Ben and Parliament and even side views of the famous London Eye, the best views are not from Westminister Bridge but from the Lambeth Bridge...

London Duck Tours

I didn´t do this becaus lack of time and I didn´t know it existed untill it was to late. I looked at the website and it sure looks cool to take a ride with this boat thing. For more information look...

County Hall

The rather grand looking County Hall on the south bank of the Thames, used to be the home of the Greater London Council but this is now based in the shiny new City Hall further along the Thames. Now...

Coca-Cola London Eye

The London Eye was built for the Millenium. Its like a big ferris wheel but the carriages are more like cable cars and hold up to 25 people at a time. It takes about half an hour to make a full...

Big Ben

Big Ben is the nickname of the thirteen-ton Great Bell of Westminster and was named after the first commissioner of works, Sir Benjamin Hall. The tower officially known as Elizabeth Tower, renamed to...

Lambeth Palace

On the south bank of the Thames next to Lambeth Bridge this medieval complex of buildings has been home to the Archbishops of Canterbury, the most senior bishop of the Church of England, for over 800...

Getting to London

We don't yet have hours for this General. Help us improve our info!