map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

"London Landmarks
London Landmarks Bike Tour - with Local Guides - Historic Ale Pub and British Bicycles"Get ready for an entertaining small group guided bike tour of London and discover London like you have never seen it before. Riding a classic English Pashley bicycle you will cycle along the quiet back streets of Westminster and Royal London with frequent stops to soak up the atmosph or a visitor to London you will find the London Landmarks Bike tour informative and fun with amazing facts and stories from your local native English speaking guides that will give you a fresh perspective on the city.You can discover all London has to offer on the Landmarks Bike Tour. The tour begins with meeting your guide and selecting your beautiful handbuilt British Pashley bicycles. Start by exploring th cycling along the river Thames
From GBP25.00

"London Bike Tour - East
"London is a city of stunning contrasts. Her rich past is well preserved while her modern face shows how architecture trade and culture have evolved in their own unique settings. For those trying to discover London on their own or hoping to glimpse her from bus or coach many of her secrets will remain a mystery.The London Bike Tour is a much more exciting way of exploring the city. You will be provided with a bike and guide and escorted on a tour though the cycle routes
From GBP24.00

High-Speed Thames River RIB Cruise in London
"Select the start time that best suits your schedule and then make your own way to the London Eye Pier in central London. Meet your skipper and guide and listen to a short safety briefing before hopping aboard your modern RIB.Sitting comfortably feel the powerful engine rumble and then glide away from the pier. Be entertained by your guide’s entertaining commentary as you cruise past top London sights including the Houses of Parliament Big Ben St Paul’s Cathedral Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre
From GBP44.00

Assaggetti Tips (8)

Galileo's Locanda Toscana: Galileo's Locanda Toscana

Just another okay meal here in London. I'm not sure why it's so difficult to find good simple and delicious meals these days.

I was walking around Piccadilly Circus and thought it was time I stop and get some dinner, especially since I was beginning to rain. I wasn't sure where to go and I happen to come upon this place. I had read some decent reviews here on vt so I thought I'd check it out.

The interior of the restaurant is quite nice. It's large and decorated with simple touches like the nice large chandelier hanging from the center of the restaurant of the universe. The restaurant itself is a nice size. There are plenty of tables on the main level with a bar area with more seating. There is also a lower level dinning area.

I decided to sit in the main dinning area near the windows facing the street. The waitress came over with the menu and took my drink order. She brought over a nice basket of bread with olive oil and some black olives as well as my glass of wine and took my order. I decided to try the gnocchi with meat sauce. A few minutes later she returned with my meal. The gnocchi was okaby, but the sauce was lacking any flavor could have used some spices or even a bit of salt. The sauce was watery and tasteless, so a bit of cheese actually did the job.

With plenty of other places to eat, I think I'd give this place a skip next time around.

There was nothing fantastic about the meal, not bad, just not great!

Favorite Dish I ordered the gnoochi with meat sauce.

How difficult it is to make a simple dish as gnocchi? While the gnocchi was good, the sauce was too watery!! The sauce was tastless and watery with no substance whatsoever. I had to quite a bit of salt and cheese to make the meal tastier!

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
Gypsystravels
Apr 04, 2011

Galileo's Locanda Toscana: Good Italian in Theatreland

UPDATE February 2011: the restaurant is closed for refurbishment so check the website below before making a special journey here.

This is a welcoming Italian restaurant in a great location for London's theatre land, and much better than the average offering at this price and in that area. The décor is attractive, with warm Tuscan colours, and the service attentive and friendly. I've visited several times now – the first with the friend who introduced me to it (VT's own Jenniflower) and on other occasions with my husband and various other friends, and enjoyed my meal every time, especially my main course choices (e.g. home-made pasta triangles with a pesto sauce on the first occasion, mushroom risotto on the second). There's also a good and reasonably priced wine list - I can recommend the Valpolicello.

The restaurant can be busy in the early part of the evening but gets a lot quieter after 7.00 or so when people start to leave for the theatre.

toonsarah's Profile Photo
toonsarah
Apr 04, 2011

Galileo's: Italian 2 or 3 course deals in the middle of Londn

Evening meal deals - 2 courses for £10.95, 3 courses £13.95 - for a nice choice of mains and desserts

Favorite Dish The fried pork fillet - very nice. The Tiramisu was almost as good as my good Italian friend's home made tiramisu - but not quite!

angiebabe's Profile Photo
angiebabe
Jul 14, 2008

Galileo: Italian near Piccadilly Circus

This was my 2nd visit to Galileo, the 1st time was when we "katnapped" Kat (keida84) on her 1st trip to London in January 2006 and had a lovely meal with Jen (Jenniflower) before heading off to see The Phantom of the Opera. We thought this was a good central location to have another small girls night out on our return visit in January 2008 with Jen (Jenniflower), Sue (sue_stone), Iris (iris2002), Jo (jo104), Angie (angiebabe) and a couple of out of town visitors, Gillian (gillianmclaughlin) and Carl (camcorderman).

The location is excellent for a pre theater dinner for those theaters located along Haymarket, it's just down the street from the madness of Piccadilly Circus, try to locate the Haymarket exit from the tube station so you don't wander in a circle outside trying to locate the right street like we did.

We stayed for several hours and didn't feel rushed, I know that's more of an American phenomenon to try and turn tables quickly but I always appreciate it when it happens even abroad.

Favorite Dish I was really feeling the exchange rate on this trip, at practically 2£ for 1$, I appreciated being able to find good food at a non chain restaurant for reasonable prices, especially given the touristy nature of this area. I ordered the Tagliatelle with porcini mushrooms and cream (£8.95) and the tiramisu (£5.95), both were good and the portion sizes adequate.

The menu is Tuscan Italian, lots of meat, fish, pasta and pizza selections, many under £10. You can also order off the set menu, 2 courses for £9.95, 3 courses for £13.95, any time of the day, not just pre theater.

Dabs's Profile Photo

1 Addington St, London, SE1 7RY, United Kingdom
118-120 Westminster Bridge Road, SE1 7RW
5 Chicheley Street, London, SE1 7PJ, United Kingdom
Hotels
Belvedere Road, (formerly known as "Travel Inn"), London, SE1 7PB, United Kingdom
The County Hall, , London SE1 7PB

Galileo's Locanda Toscana: Galileo's Locanda Toscana - near Piccadilly

I met up with some VT friends one evening for a meal at Galileo's Locanda Toscana. The restaurant is located on Haymarket, just down the hill from Piccadilly Circus, and is a convenient place for theatre goers who want something a little more upmarket than the neighbouring chain restaurants.

I found the look of the place didn't quiet match the prices, and thought the atmosphere was perhaps better suited to a quick pre-theatre meal than a leisurely dinner. That said, it was still an enjoyable experience due to the lovely company.

Service from the Italian staff was good for the most part - our main server was smiley and helpful, but an older waitress scowled fiercely as she plonked our water glasses on the table.

Favorite Dish To eat, I had the Scaloppina Milanese (aromatic breaded veal escalope) which was served with potatoes and courgettes (zucchini). The portion was generous and flavours good. Dessert was the Tiramisu with Vin Santo - the Vin Santo was in the tiramisu, though I had been hopeful that a glass of it would turn up instead.

sue_stone's Profile Photo
sue_stone
Jan 27, 2008

Galileo Locanda Ristorante: Perfect accompanment to some theatre :)

Their motto is: “Simple, seasonal, inventive Tuscan cuisine” and that describes it exactly.

'Opened by modern day Renaissance man and long established figure in the London restaurant scene, Stefano Fraquelli, in 1997, Galileo’s is the result of Stefano’s desire to bring the exquisite cuisine of Italy’s richest region to the heart of the West End. ' - quote nabbed from their website!

It caters for the pre-theatre crown (specifically those going to see The Phantom of the Opera (like us!!!!)) which is literally across the road (King Charles Rd to be more exact haha).

Favorite Dish I had a SPAGHETTI ALLA CARBONARA for £7.85 and was well pleased with the taste and portion size. Many Italian restaurants tend to make the portions too big and they give a perfect portion.

For dessert I had GELATI - a selection of premium Italian ice cream. YUMMMMMMMMMMMY!!!!!

I have since been back here twice, once with my brother, sister and hubby, and then again with VT member toonsarah.

Both times were once again thoroughly enkoyable, attention was good, but not too intrusive, the food was yummy and we didnt feel rushed. (which one does sometimes in these pre-theatre restaurants...).

A quick tip: Most pre-theatre restaurants (ie: most restaurants close to a theatre), have a rush before 7pm, and then quieten down after 7:30 - when the theatre shows start.

So if you do not have a reservation, best to pitch up after 7:30pm.

Jenniflower's Profile Photo
Jenniflower
Dec 11, 2006

Galileo: Italian on Haymarket

Galileo is a large modern Italian restaurant chain. We ate at the one just across the street from Her Majesties Theater on Haymarket. My daughters and I had a wonderful lunch here one visit. Lunch is obviously not the draw, as the restaurant was almost empty. But I've passed by in the evening, before the theaters open their doors and seen it packed.

Favorite Dish I had a butternut ravioli with brown butter sauce and sage that was just delicious. The restaurant was very authentically Italian and service was excellent.

Callavetta's Profile Photo
Callavetta
Jul 10, 2006

Galileo Ristorante: Excellent Choice For Pre Theatre Dining

After I had been on an airplane for 10 hours I was ready to get out and see London. Since I was "kat-napped" by my friend Kristi, I had very little say in the matter but I knew food would be her first priority. We arrived at Galileo Ristorante, the atmosphere is casual elegance with a lovely chandelier as a focal point to the upstairs restaurant. There were quite a few patrons in the restaurant espeically for a Thursday evening. There is also a larger part of the restaurant downstairs for group events and parties. The restaurant is local to many of the nice theatres in the district and they are a perfect for pre-theatre dinner.

Favorite Dish I had the Pizza Margharita, it was very very good. I always judge a restaurant in their selections of dessert, if they are not fantastic then I do not consider it to be a great restaurant. There was a unique item on the Galileo menu that I enjoyed-- an orange chocolate mousse. When it was served I almost, now mind you almost, did not want to eat it it was so beautifully prepared and presented. I got past that thought quickly and found it to be delightful. It was not too sweet and the pungent flavor of orange was subtle yet satisfying.

keida84's Profile Photo
keida84
Jan 31, 2006
sue_stone's Profile Photo

sue_stone

"My Current Home"

Mariajoy

"Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
Regina1965's Profile Photo

Regina1965

"LONDON"
sourbugger's Profile Photo

sourbugger

"Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
toonsarah's Profile Photo

toonsarah

"Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."

Things to Do Near London

Lambeth Bridge

If you want to take pictures with Panoramic Views of Big Ben and Parliament and even side views of the famous London Eye, the best views are not from Westminister Bridge but from the Lambeth Bridge...

London Duck Tours

Duck tours are fun do to while you get to see the most famous landmarks in London such as Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and much more. They operate on land and in the water so...

County Hall

The rather grand looking County Hall on the south bank of the Thames, used to be the home of the Greater London Council but this is now based in the shiny new City Hall further along the Thames. Now...

Coca-Cola London Eye

The London Eye was built for the Millenium. Its like a big ferris wheel but the carriages are more like cable cars and hold up to 25 people at a time. It takes about half an hour to make a full...

Big Ben

Big Ben is the nickname of the thirteen-ton Great Bell of Westminster and was named after the first commissioner of works, Sir Benjamin Hall. The tower officially known as Elizabeth Tower, renamed to...

Lambeth Palace

On the south bank of the Thames next to Lambeth Bridge this medieval complex of buildings has been home to the Archbishops of Canterbury, the most senior bishop of the Church of England, for over 800...

Getting to London