Map &

Rate it

Top Tours

The Complete Beatles 2-Day Tour: Liverpool and London
From GBP208.00
Windsor Express Transport from London Including Optional Windsor Castle Entry Ticket
From GBP28.00
Afternoon Tea at The Rubens at the Palace Hotel in London
From GBP32.00

The Orangery Tips (10)

Kensington Palace - The Orangery: lunch or afternoon tea with a lovely view

The Orangery at Kensington Palace is a lovely place for lunch, or afternoon tea. Not a huge menu but a reasonable choice. You do not have to purchase a Kensington Palace ticket to access the gardens or Orangery.

download a current menu on the website:

henry14's Profile Photo
Jan 13, 2010

Orangery: Lovely views

Restaurant located in Kensington Gardens with nice views of the park. Went for lunch and had a salad and tart. The food was good but the service was very slow. If you have an afternoon to relax, this is a very nice restaurant.

girdlebug's Profile Photo
Dec 27, 2009

The Orangerie: Elegance in Hyde Park

In Hyde Park, well, in the Kensington Gardens part of Hyde Park, next to Kensington Palace is The Orangerie. It was built in 1704 as a kind of greenhouse. Now is is a kind of tea room, where you can sit under the high plastered ceilings, lit by sun beaming in the tall windows in a 300 year old building and have tea, coffee, a light lunch and a fabulous dessert!

Favorite Dish We decided to splurge on the Grand Tea which includes a glass of champagne to celebrate the beginning of our trip. Included were a little finger sandwich, raisin scone with fruit syrup and clotted cream and a piece of Belgian chocolate cake! How could one resist! I managed most of it though couldn't eat all the icing on the cake as it was way too rich on top of the clotted cream. So a little more expensive than your average high tea in a cafe but not as expensive as a High tea in the Ritz Hotel.

The second time i went there, my mom and i had scones. I ordered two because i thought they would be the usual size. DON'T! They're huge!!!! I had to take the second one back to the hotel for a night snack.

tvor's Profile Photo
Jun 05, 2009

The Orangery Restaurant at Kensington Palace: Enjoy a Royal Breakfast

This is a rare combination of a truly stunning location and great food at reasonable prices. Fabulous al fresco seating when the weather is nice, but the interior is equally stunning. Range of high quality teatime delights. Give yourself this treat after walking around in Hyde Park & Kensington gardens. Far superior choice to the self service restaurant in St. James park at the other end of the gardens alignment.

Wheelchair accessible.

1 Silicon Way, Corsham Street, N1 6DR
77 Uxbridge Road, W5 5ST
43-81 Greenwich High Road, SE10 8JL
1 Eastern Gateway, E16 1FR

The Orangerie at Kensington Palace: Tea!

This was one of my favorite experiences in London, and a must do for any visitor! The orangerie is a sophisticated, but not over the top tea room in Kensington Gardens. You can take tea and a variety of incredible pastries and tarts, or go for the full tea service with sandwiches and scones with clotted cream. All the cakes and pastries are piled on a table as you walk in which truly is a sight to behold. It wasn't too expensive, and the menu is versatile enough to stretch to meet any budget. The dress code wasn't really enforced, and we were dressed very casually, but it would be a fun place to go dressed up. You can sit outside, though the high ceilings and white white white decor inside make for a tea-time more in keeping with what I always imagined it to be. They also have iced tea for hot weather, so go any time! Highly recommended. Appropriate for children, as well, as long as they're relatively well-behaved.

Favorite Dish I had a strawberry tart with lavender cream that was very good, as well as some good old fashioned English Breakfast tea. Delicious!

jhoolko's Profile Photo
Aug 22, 2007

The Orangery: Afternoon tea

I always have afternoon tea on my list of things to do in London and somehow I always just don't find the time but since I had spent the day walking in Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens I figured it was a good opportunity to try one of the places I had seen recommended. Unfortunately everyone seems to know about their tea and there are no reservations accepted so the first time I passed by, right when they started tea at 3 pm, there was a sizable queue and I figured since they had just opened it would be awhile until they turned the tables so I did some more walking and came back around 5:30 pm, shortly before closing. There was still a queue but it went fairly quickly and I was seated at one of the indoor tables since none of the outdoor tables were free. The setting of the Orangery is lovely, it's in a long pavilion built in 1704 by Queen Anne I assume as an orangery.

Favorite Dish A nice feature of the Orangery is that you can go a la carte or have full afternoon tea, since I was by myself, I passed on the full afternoon tea and ordered a lemon ginger tea (L1.50) and assortment of tea cakes. The tea cakes (L3.95) didn't really excite me but some of the other selections looked quite good and I think this would be a lovely place to have afternoon tea if I was traveling with someone else.

Dabs's Profile Photo
Jun 10, 2007

The Orangery: Have Tea in Kensington Gardens

The Orangery is located in Kensington Gardens, so, if it is a nice day, it's a great place to sit outside and have some tea or coffee if you need sustenance to help you keep strolling. The food and coffee is, in itself, not the main attraction, although it is still very good. It's the location that is so pleasant. They have several different choices as far as tea/coffee and something sweet to go with it. I believe the building itself was part of the Palace, with Corinthian columns and a beautiful, airy feeling, and it is located just to the back of the Palace itself.

Favorite Dish I just had tea and a scone, but it was the sunshine and light breeze on the patio that made the moment.

May 06, 2007

Orangery at Kensington Palace: Afternoon Tea at the Orangery

The Orangery at Kensington Palace is literally that - a greenhouse converted into a tea house. Located behind the palace, the Orangery serves a charming afternoon tea complete with your choice of tea flavor, scones with jam and clotted cream, finger sandwiches and cake for about 20 pounds, including service charge. The atmosphere and service are wonderful.

cruisingbug's Profile Photo
Feb 14, 2005
sue_stone's Profile Photo

"My Current Home"
View Member

"Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
Regina1965's Profile Photo

sourbugger's Profile Photo

"Gor Blimey guv''r having a larf......"
toonsarah's Profile Photo

"Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."

The Orangery Kensington Gardens: A pleasant lunch or tea stop

Salads, sandwiches, tea and cakes. Lovely airy white table cloth atomsphere. Because there are no steps in/out you will find many tables of smart mothers with strollers but their babes and toddlers are not too distracting.

Favorite Dish The orange cake, yum, yum!!

KittyLou's Profile Photo
Feb 12, 2004

The Orangery restaurant: The Orangery restaurant

When the weather is fine, sit outside on the terrace and enjoy the view of the palace and its elegant gardens.

Favorite Dish Mike and I had tea here at the Orangery.

windoweb's Profile Photo
Jun 02, 2008

Things To Do Near The Orangery

Lincoln's Inn Fields

An ideal place for taking a break from sightseeing around Holborn or Covent Garden, Lincoln’s Inn Fields is the largest public square in London. There are large expanses of grass for picnicking as...

St. Giles in the Fields Church

I'd discovered my great grandmother Mary had lived in St Giles High Street, so decided the area needed paying a visit. It lies between Shaftesbury Avenue and Great Russell Street, and is also close to...

St. Alfege Church

Christopher Wren is the name most associated with the building of London churches in the 17th centutry, but Nicholas Hawksmoor added his own distinctive stamp too. St Alfege's is one of...

Jewel Tower

Not to be confused with the Crown Jewels in the Tower of London, the Jewel Tower is the freestanding medieval building in Abington Street opposite The Houses of Parliament. There are only two parts of...

One New Change

The shopping mall One New Change has a public roof terrace on the 6th floor and it can be visited for free. The terrace offers panoramic views towards St. Pauls Cathedral and the southern side of the...

West Norwood Cemetery & Crematorium

If you get an opportunity visit a graveyard in London,they are well kept and a window to the past history in any country,you may find statues,flowers and many other interesting things and writings...

Getting to The Orangery

Kensington Gardens

We don't yet have hours for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!